Subject: Re: [Megaco] Restart Behavior on Physical Terminations

From: "John Wainwright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 08:35:20 -0600

The MG sends a Service Change request to the MGC with method=restart for the specific termination that has restarted.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bill Xiaoshaoping
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 1:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Restart Behavior on Physical Terminations

Hi all,

Excerpt from Annex F.3.9/H.248 V3:
"To restore service to a termination or group of terminations, the MGC sends 
a ServiceChange with ServiceChangeMethod ¡°Restart¡± on the termination/s in 
question. See clauses F.4.1.2 and F.4.1.3 for actions to be taken by the 
MGC."

Excerpt from Annex F.4.1.2/H.248 V3:
Restart ¨C When sent by the MG, the MG announces that the termination(s) 
have restarted, or is announcing a capability change. The 
ServiceChangeReason indicates what actions may need to be taken by the MGC. 
When sent by the MGC, the MG shall restart the termination(s) using the 
indicated ServiceChangeReason.

It is not clear to me that what actions should be taken by the MG to restart 
the termination, should the MG issue a ServiceChange Command on the Physical 
Termination similar to the case of MGC Initiated Service Restoration on ROOT 
termination, or just "restart" the termination internally without any 
further ServiceChange message to the MGC?

Please help me to clear this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Bill 

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:46:54 -0500

Huh?

If the MGC just sent a SC command on a particular termination, why would the MG send another one back?  The MG should do whatever internally constitutes a restart of the termination and reply to the command.  What actions the MG takes are a matter of implementation, but the termination should end up as if it has just started up.

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bill Xiaoshaoping
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 1:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Restart Behavior on Physical Terminations

Hi all,

Excerpt from Annex F.3.9/H.248 V3:
"To restore service to a termination or group of terminations, the MGC sends a ServiceChange with ServiceChangeMethod ¡°Restart¡± on the termination/s in question. See clauses F.4.1.2 and F.4.1.3 for actions to be taken by the MGC."

Excerpt from Annex F.4.1.2/H.248 V3:
Restart ¨C When sent by the MG, the MG announces that the termination(s) have restarted, or is announcing a capability change. The ServiceChangeReason indicates what actions may need to be taken by the MGC. 
When sent by the MGC, the MG shall restart the termination(s) using the indicated ServiceChangeReason.

It is not clear to me that what actions should be taken by the MG to restart the termination, should the MG issue a ServiceChange Command on the Physical Termination similar to the case of MGC Initiated Service Restoration on ROOT termination, or just "restart" the termination internally without any further ServiceChange message to the MGC?

Thanks and Regards,
Bill

---

From: "John Wainwright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:44:39 -0600

My apologies.  You are clearly correct in your statement.  Unfortunately I generated my "answer" too quickly and was only referring to the case of PHY termination restart from the MG's perspective and not after receiving an SVC from the MGC.
I'll try and be more careful next time :-)

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Boyle [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 6:47 PM
To: John Wainwright; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Megaco] Restart Behavior on Physical Terminations

Huh?

Kevin 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bill Xiaoshaoping
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 1:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] Restart Behavior on Physical Terminations

Hi all,

Thanks and Regards,
Bill