Subject: [Mentoring-coordinators] IETF Mentor Program

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:15:23 -0400

Hi Alexa,
     Could you get the following sent out (from the IETF Chair) to the
main IETF list and the IETF Announce list?

Thanks!
Brian

--

All,

    Based on the positive feedback we received after IETF 87, we are
going to continue the trial of an IETF mentoring program in Vancouver.
During this trial period, we would like to pair newcomers (people who
have attended 3 or fewer meetings or have registered as students) with
existing IETF participants.  The goal is to provide a resource for the
newcomer who can assist them with integrating into the IETF community.
Mentors and newcomers will be paired prior to IETF 88.

    What we need is for people to volunteer to be mentors. As a mentor,
we would ask that you be willing to assist your mentoring participant
before, during, and (hopefully) after IETF 88.  The actual level of
interaction will be driven by an agreement between the mentor and the
mentoring participant. Feedback from IETF 87 indicated that the average
amount of time a mentor spent on the program was approximately 4 hours
over the entire week.  Additionally, we would need a brief description
of your areas of expertise, technical interests, and conversational
languages.

    A description of the Mentor Program (including a FAQ describing
how to volunteer to be a mentor) is available:

http://www.ietf.org/resources/mentoring-program.html.

    Anyone interested in being a mentor should follow the sign-up
instructions contained in the above URL.  The more volunteers we have,
the stronger the program will be!

Regards,
IETF Chair