Subject: Re: [Mentoring-coordinators] Assistance with standards development

From: John Wason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 18:35:44 -0400

Wes,

Unfortunately traveling to the next IETF conference is not possible. The 
only conference I would be able to attend is the one in Montreal.

     -John

On 8/28/2018 6:01 PM, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  If you are interested in 
> developing a standardized protocol to be used on the internet, then 
> you have come to the right standards body. The best way to get started 
> is to come to the next IETF meeting in November and attend the 
> newcomers tutorials on Sunday.  They should be available in youtube as 
> well, if you want to get started watching them right away.  Also read 
> the Tao of the IETF, which will help lead you in the right direction 
> for how to bring new work into the IETF.  If you are able to come to 
> the November IETF then when you register you should be able to request 
> a mentor and discuss this topic further with them as well.
>
> Let us know if you have any other questions,
> Cheers,
> Wes

-- 
John Wason, Ph.D.
Wason Technology, LLC
PO Box 669
Tuxedo, NY 10987
(518) 279-6234
[email-masked]

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 14:59:15 -0700

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay (I was at ICANN all last week and swamped).  The IETF
actually does most of their work officially on mailing lists.  Many people
participate only via mailing lists, or by attending the meetings via the
live meeting attending system (linked to from each item in the agenda).

I'd actually suggest you start with reading the Tao of the IETF which will
guide you about how the IETF works.  You can find it here:
https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/tao/

Once you've read that, you might also look at the presentations given at
IETF's themselves about how the IETF works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfD_TLzM_8

-- 
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI