Subject: [MEXT] [Recharter] Extend DSMIPv6 Home Network Support

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 19:15:14 +0100

Extend DSMIPv6 Home Network Support

DSMIPv6 assumes the home network to be dual stack providing  
simultaneous IPv6 and IPv4 network access. It is proposed to extend  
DSMIPv6 to support home networks which provides IPv4, or IPv6  
respectively, direct network access only, but where virtual IPv6 home  
network connectivity, or virtual IPv4 home network connectivity  
respectively, may be obtained by tunneling to the HA. The latter shall  
be obtained by DSMIPv6 operation using the v4HoA address as Care-of- 
address for the v6HoA address, and vice versa, the v6HoA address as  
care-of-address for the v4HoA address.

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:47:34 +0100

On Monday 21 January 2008, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
> respectively, may be obtained by tunneling to the HA. The latter
> shall be obtained by DSMIPv6 operation using the v4HoA address as
> Care-of- address for the v6HoA address, and vice versa, the v6HoA
> address as care-of-address for the v4HoA address.

I have to admit that I don't really understand the usage scenario 
here -- there's too many commas for me in the second sentence :-P

I don't really catch the meaning of "direct network access" and "virtual 
IPv{4,6} home network connectivity".

Anybody cares to explain better, e.g. by giving detailed definition of 
those terms, and/or drawing ASCII art? 

Thanks.

--julien

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:13:44 +0100

Hi Marcelo:

This list seems to promote the use of DSMIP as a transition mechanism.
Yet, the case where IPv4 is traverse but the HA end is pure IPv6 (Ipv6
dominant) is not clearly listed. 

Some history here:

We had that discussion long ago at the DSMIP DT and there was a vote
that the HA be dual stack with access to both networks. OTOH, the doors
proposal enabled a gateway ala 6to4 to terminate the IPv4 tunnel and
make the HA transparent to the IPv4 traversal.

Pascal

>-----Original Message-----
>From: marcelo bagnulo braun [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: lundi 21 janvier 2008 19:15
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [MEXT] [Recharter] Extend DSMIPv6 Home Network Support
>
>respectively, direct network access only, but where virtual 
>IPv6 home network connectivity, or virtual IPv4 home network 
>connectivity respectively, may be obtained by tunneling to the 
>HA. The latter shall be obtained by DSMIPv6 operation using 
>the v4HoA address as Care-of- address for the v6HoA address, 
>and vice versa, the v6HoA address as care-of-address for the 
>v4HoA address.
>

---

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:59:10 +0100

I guess that the one who proposed this item should respond to this...