Subject: [MEXT] Issue #11: De-registration when returning home

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 11:50:32 -0700

Hello folks,

Perhaps this issue is ready to be closed.

I suggest we use the text offered by George
Tsirtsis, but with one additional change:

OLD Text:

11.5.5.  Returning Home

   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.2).  The mobile
   node SHOULD then send a Binding Update to its home agent, to instruct
   its home agent to no longer intercept or tunnel packets for it.

George's Text:

11.5.5.  Returning Home

   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.2), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   The mobile node SHOULD then send a Binding Update to its home agent,
   to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept or tunnel packets
   for it.  Until the mobile node sends a de-registration Binding Update,
   it will not be able to send and receive packets using its home address
   from the home link. The home agent will continue to intercept all
   packets sent to the mobile's home address and tunnel to the previously
   registered care-of address.

A slightly amended version of George's Text:

11.5.5.  Returning Home

   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.2), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   The mobile node SHOULD then send a Binding Update to its home agent,
   to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept or tunnel packets
   for it.  Until the mobile node sends such a de-registration Binding
   Update, it MUST NOT attempt to send and receive packets using its
   home address from the home link. The home agent will continue to
   intercept all packets sent to the mobile's home address and tunnel
   to the previously registered care-of address.

==================================================

Regards,
Charlie P.

_______________________________________________
MEXT mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext

---

From: "Vijay Devarapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:56:24 -0400

Hi Charlie,

In the previous discussions on this issue (July 2008), we had almost
concluded on the following text.

   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   To be able to send and receive packets using its home address from
   the home link, the mobile node MUST send a Binding Update to its
   home agent to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept or
   tunnel packets for it. Until the mobile node sends a de-registration 
   Binding Update, it will not be able to send and receive packets 
   using its home address from the home link. The home agent will 
   continue to intercept all packets sent to the mobile's home address 
   and tunnel to the previously registered care-of address. 

Only Sri had an objection to this text. He was objecting to the last two
sentences.

   Until the mobile node sends a de-registration 
   Binding Update, it will not be able to send and receive packets 
   using its home address from the home link. The home agent will 
   continue to intercept all packets sent to the mobile's home address 
   and tunnel to the previously registered care-of address. 

For the last sentences, we can replace the text with what you proposed
in your email. So the final text would be

   A mobile node detects that it has returned to its home link through
   the movement detection algorithm in use (Section 11.5.1), when the
   mobile node detects that its home subnet prefix is again on-link.
   To be able to send and receive packets using its home address from
   the home link, the mobile node MUST send a Binding Update to its
   home agent to instruct its home agent to no longer intercept or
   tunnel packets for it. Until the mobile node sends such a 
   de-registration Binding Update, it MUST NOT attempt to send and 
   receive packets using its home address from the home link. The home 
   agent will continue to intercept all packets sent to the mobile's 
   home address and tunnel to the previously registered care-of address.

Is this acceptable?

Vijay

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Charles E. Perkins
> Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 11:51 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [MEXT] Issue #11: De-registration when returning home
> 
> 
> Hello folks,
>