Subject: [MEXT] MIPv6 from IPv4-only networks: I-D and implementation

From: [email-masked] (Arnaud Ebalard)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 13:57:04 +0200

Hi,

MIPv6 protocol has been designed to work on IPv6 networks: nothing was
initially provisioned in the specification to support movement of MN to
IPv4-only networks. DSMIPv6 (RFC 5555) explores a path to try and
address this need: it requires IPv4/NAT-awareness by the MIPv6 module,
IKE module and IPsec stack. It is complex and monolithic (not modular).

I wrote a short I-D (13p) to support "MIPv6 from IPv4-only networks".
The protocol is called m6t. Latest version is available here:  

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ebalard-mext-m6t

For test purpose, I also developed a (proof of concept) implementation
(GPLv2 license) of the protocol (client and tunnel GW) for Linux. Code
(tarball and debian packages) and documentation (how it works,
comparison w/ DSMIPv6 and Teredo, ...) are available here: 

   http://natisbad.org/m6t/

It interoperates transparently and out of the box with unmodified
versions of UMIP (see http://umip.org). No kidding.

Comments and questions are welcome,

Cheers,

a+