Subject: [MEXT] WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:39:39 -0800 (PST)

The Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext) working group in the Internet Area
of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)
-----------------------------------
 Current Status: Active
 Last updated: 2011-01-11

 Chairs:
     Marcelo Bagnulo <[email-masked]>
     Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Directors:
     Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
     Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Advisor:
     Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 specifies routing support which permits an IPv6 host to
continue using its home address as it moves around the Internet,
enabling continuity of sessions. Mobile IPv6 supports transparency above
the IP layer, including maintenance of active transport level sessions.
In addition, network mobility (NEMO) mechanisms built on top of Mobile
IPv6 allow managing the mobility of an entire network, as it changes its
point of attachment to the Internet. The base specifications consist of:

  o RFC 3775 (Mobile IPv6)
  o RFC 3963 (NEMO)
  o RFC 4877 (Mobile IPv6 Operation with IKEv2)
  o RFC 5555 (Dual Stack Mobile IPv6)
  o RFC 5648 (Multiple Care-of Addresses Registration)
  o RFC 5846 (Binding Revocation)
  o RFC-to-be (Flow Binding Policy Transport and Flow Binding Policy 
    Format)

The MEXT Working Group continues the work of the former MIP6, NEMO, and
MONAMI6 Working Groups.

The primary goal of MEXT will be to enhance base IPv6 mobility by
continuing work on developments that are required for wide-scale
deployments and specific deployment scenarios. Additionally, the working
group will ensure that any issues identified by implementation and
interoperability experience are addressed, and that the base
specifications are maintained. The group will also produce informational
documentation, such as design rationale documents or description of
specific issues within the protocol.

The MEXT WG will also explore experimental alternative security
mechanisms. The security mechanism specified in the existing standard
track RFCs (RFC3775bis, RFC4877) remains the mandatory to implement
mechanism that guarantees interoperability between different
implementations. The MEXT WG is chartered to deliver one or more
experimental alternative mechanisms. All the alternative solutions will
be published as experimental RFCs.

The working group will also work on operational considerations on
setting up Mobile IPv6 networks so that traffic is distributed 
in an optimal way, for instance by using existing protocol mechanisms
to select the closest home agents for new clients.

In addition, the working group will bring to completion earlier work on
prefix delegation for NEMO, RADIUS  support for Mobile IPv6, Mobile IPv6
operation with firewalls, and home agent reliability specifications.

Work items related to base specification maintenance include: Create and
maintain issue lists that are generated on the basis of implementation
and interoperability experience. Address specific issues with specific
updates or revisions of the base specification. Currently known specific
issues include support for overlapping (private) IPv4 home addresses,
negotiation of the protection required for payload traffic, and
discovery of the home agent address in IPv4-only networks.

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 2011 - Submit I-D 'Mobile IPv6 Operation with Firewalls' to IESG for

           publication as Informational.
Jun 2011 - Submit I-D 'Home agent reliability' to IESG for publication 
           as a Proposed Standard.
Aug 2011 - Submit I-Ds on alternative security mechanisms to the IESG 
           for publication as Experimental.
Sep 2011 - Submit I-D 'Overlapping IPv4 address support' to IESG for 
           publication as Proposed Standard.
Sep 2011 - Submit I-D 'Home agent discovery in IPv4-only networks via 
           DHCP' to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Oct 2011 - Submit I-D 'Operational considerations for distributed use of 
           Mobile IPv6' for publication as Informational
Dec 2011 - Submit I-D 'Negotiation of the protection for payload 
           traffic' to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.
Dec 2011 - Submit the I-D 'RADIUS Mobile IPv6 Support' to IESG for 
           publication as a proposed standard.