Subject: [MEXT] WG Action: RECHARTER: Distributed Mobility Management (dmm) - formerly Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:52:53 -0800 (PST)

The Distributed Mobility Management (dmm) working group [formerly 
Mobility EXTensions for IPv6 (mext) working group] in the Internet Area 
of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please 
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Distributed Mobility Management (dmm)
-------------------------------------
Current Status: Active

 Chairs:
     Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
     Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Directors:
     Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
     Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Advisor:
     Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe:       https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mext
     Archive:            http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext

Description of Working Group:

  The Distributed Mobility Management (DMM) working group specifies IP
  mobility, access network and routing solutions, which allow for
  setting up IP networks so that traffic is distributed in an
  optimal way and does not rely on centrally deployed anchors to manage
  IP mobility sessions. The distributed mobility management solutions
  aim for transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance of
  active transport level sessions as mobile hosts or entire mobile
  networks change their point of attachment to the Internet.

  The protocol solutions should be based on existing IP mobility
  protocols, either host- or network-based, such as Mobile IPv6
  [RFC6275, 5555], Proxy Mobile IPv6 [RFC5213, 5844] and
  NEMO [RFC3963]. Solutions may also focus specifically
  on managing the use of care-of versus home addresses in an
  efficient manner for different types of communications.

  Although the maintenance of stable home address(es) and/or prefix(es)
  and upper level sessions is a desirable goal when mobile hosts/routers
  change their point of attachment to the Internet, it is not a strict
  requirement. Mobile hosts/routers should not assume that IP
  addressing including home address(es) and/or home network prefix(es)
  remain the same throughout the entire upper level session lifetime,
  or that support for mobility functions is provided on the network side
  in all conditions.

  The distributed mobility management solutions primarily target IPv6
  Deployment and should not be tailored specifically to support IPv4,
  in particular in situations where private IPv4 addresses and/or NATs
  are used. At least IPv6 is assumed to be present in both the mobile
  host/router and the access networks. Independent of the distributed
  mobility management solution, backward compatibility must be
  maintained. If the network or the mobile host/router do not support
  the distributed mobility management enabling protocol, nothing should
  break.

Work items related to the distributed mobility management include:

  o Solution Requirements: Define precisely the problem of distributed
    mobility management and identity the requirements for a distributed
    mobility management solution.

  o Practices: Document practices for the deployment of existing 
     mobility protocols in a distributed mobility management 
     environment.

 o  Gap Analysis and extensions: identify the limitations in the current
     practices with respect to providing the expected functionality.

  o If limitations are identified as part of the above deliverable,
    specify extensions to existing protocols that removes these
    limitations within a distributed mobility management environment.

Goals and Milestones:

Aug 2012 - Submit I-D 'Solution Requirements' as a working
           group document. To be Informational RFC.
Aug 2012 - Submit I-D 'Practices and Gap Analysis' as a working
           group document. To be Informational RFC.
Nov 2012 - Evaluate the need for additional working group document(s)
           for extensions to fill the identified gaps.
Jan 2013 - Submit I-D 'Solution Requirements' to the IESG for
           consideration as an Informational RFC.
Jan 2013 - Submit I-D 'Practices ' to the IESG for
           consideration as an Informational RFC.
Mar 2013 - Submit I-D 'Gap Analysis' to the IESG for
           consideration as an Informational RFC.
Mar 2013 - Evaluate the need for further work based on the identified gaps
           and revise the milestones and/or the charter of the group