Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: [Ltru] Re: Language Tag MIB Textual Convention

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:55:35 +0200

Copying the MIB Doctors list.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: David McWalter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 4:21 AM
To: Randy Presuhn; Bill Fenner; [email-masked]; Romascanu, Dan
(Dan)
Cc: LTRU Working Group; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: Language Tag MIB Textual Convention

Randy,

Thanks for your help.  Below are TCs including your text.  I'd welcome
any further advice.

I'll put this in an individual submission at the same time I revise
IPMCAST MIB, I guess early next week.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-ip-mcast-mib-03.tx
t

I was surprised no-one had defined a URL TC before, so I searched and
found:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/imss/current/msg00516.html
'There is currently a discussion going on w.r.t. URL TC on SIP list and
some MIB doctors (like Juergen and Dan) are also involved.'

I'm really happy to not do URLs if someone else has started on this
already.

Cheers,
David McWalter.
[email-masked]

LANGTAG-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
    MODULE-IDENTITY, mib-2, Unsigned32 FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    TEXTUAL-CONVENTION                 FROM SNMPv2-TC;

langTagMIB MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "200611080000Z" -- 8 November 2006
    ORGANIZATION "IETF Operations and Management Area"
    CONTACT-INFO "EMail: [email-masked]"
    DESCRIPTION
            "The MIB module defines textual conventions for representing
            generic tags."
    REVISION     "200611080000Z" -- 8 November 2006
    DESCRIPTION
           "Initial revision, published as RFC yyyy."
    -- RFC Ed.: replace yyyy with actual RFC number & remove this note
    ::= { mib-2 yyyy }
    -- RFC Ed.: replace yyyy with actual RFC number & remove this note

--
-- This language tag is case insensitive.  For user interface purposes,
-- it is RECOMMENDED that values be displayed using upper and lower case
-- in accordance with the recommendations of BCP 47, even though the
-- value 'on the wire' MUST be lower case.
--
LanguageTag ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
   DISPLAY-HINT "100a"
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
            "A brief tag that identifies a language.  A registry of tags
            is available at
            http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags.

            This value is case-insensitive.  Conventions exist for the
            capitalization of some of the subtags, but these do not
            convey any meaning.

            It is theoretically possible for a valid language tag to
            exceed the allowed length of this syntax, and thus be
            impossible to represent with this syntax.  Sampling of
            language tags in current use on the Internet suggests that
            this limit does not pose a problem in practice."
   REFERENCE "RFC 4646 BCP 47"
   SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..100))

Uri ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
   DISPLAY-HINT "1024a"
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
            "A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)."
   REFERENCE "RFC 3986 STD 66 and RFC 3305"
   SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..1024))

Url ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
   DISPLAY-HINT "1024a"
   STATUS      current
   DESCRIPTION
            "A Uniform Resource Locator (URL)."
   REFERENCE "RFC 3986 STD 66 and RFC 3305"
   SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..1024))

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Presuhn [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 07 November 2006 22:29
To: Randy Presuhn; Bill Fenner; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: LTRU Working Group; [email-masked]; David McWalter
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: Language Tag MIB Textual Convention

Hi -

>  en-us
>  en-gb

oops - these two were reversed.  The rest of the list is indeed sorted,
according to SNMP's rules.

Randy

_______________________________________________
MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:28:57 +0100

> Copying the MIB Doctors list.

So what do we do about this? We surely need generic URL/URI TCs and I
think those things should be hidden in some strange MIBs but become a
clearly identifyable reusable module.

Dan, do you have an overview where people are working already and
URL/URI TCs?

>    SYNTAX      OCTET STRING (SIZE (1..1024))

I am not sure what the difference really is between these two and when
I should use which. I also checked the references and could not find a
length limitation - so we should be careful to not over constrain
these definitions but rather spell out in the descriptions that for
SNMP purposes there might be length restrictions. I have not followed
closely the IRI work - so I do not know what the internationalization
aspect of this would be.

Since the INET-ADDRESS-MIB has already mutated into a collection of
generic TC definitions (AS numbers, port numbers, IP protocol
versions), one could also consider to revise the INET-ADDRESS-MIB and
add something like InetUri to it (and if needed also InetUrl). Dan, do
you have an idea how you want to deal with this issue?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		 International University Bremen
				 (Jacobs University Bremen as of Spring 2007)
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	 P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany