Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] AD review of draft-ietf-capwap-802dot11-mib-02.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:34:05 +0100

Please find below the AD review of
draft-ietf-capwap-802dot11-mib-02.txt. The document needs at least one
more iteration before submission to the IESG. I would also advice that
the document is reviewed by as many CAPWAP and IEEE 802.11 knowledgeable
individuals to make sure that the modeling makes sense and all critical
management information is covered by the MIB modules that are defined. 

The comments are divided into Technical and Editorial. 

T1. T4. In order for ifIndex to be used as a common handler for the
CAPWAP MIB and for the interface specific MIB modules like a dot11 MIB
from IEEE one needs to ensure that the same numbering scheme and mapping
is used by all MIB modules, and that it behaves identically for events
like interface card swapping, reset or power loss. I do not see how this
can happen, I am not sure that this is possible at all, and in any case
there is no text in the document that explains this mechanism. 

T2. Is the WLAN Service interface described in Section 7.2 modeled by
capwapDot11WlanConfigTable? If so please say it and make this clear by
using a more explicit naming convention. The model here is not clear to
me. On one hand you say 'the interface SHOULD be modeled as an ifEntry
...' Why only a SHOULD and not a MUST? What is the procedure for the
manager? Is he looking for all 802.11 interfaces on the AC and then
creates manually a WLAN Service entry in the table for each? What if the
ifNumber does not correspond to a 802.11 interface? What if the 802.11
interface disappears? 

T3. What 'could be always enabled' means for ifAdminStatus and
ifOperStatus in the WLAN Service Interface table? Either change this to
MUST or explain in what cases these should be other than enabled. 

T4. What does the statement that 'the other objects such as ifInOctets
... are unused' relative to the VLAN Service interface mean? Counters
are always zero?

T5. In 7.4 - does the text mean that the manager can reuse objects from
the IEEE 802.11 MIB modules, or that values of these objects are being
duplicates in this MIB module? (why? Which ones?) In any case the IEEE
802.11 standard that defines these objects must be a Normative Reference
for this document. 

T6. The RFCs that define all MIB modules required for IMPORTSs must be
Normative References to this document. 

T7. The value of the object capwapBaseWTPId in the example is the string
'12345678' not the integer 12345678

T8. The names of the objects in the capwapDot11WlanConfigTable are not
consistent (similar prefix) to capwapDot11WlanConfigEntry. 

T9. The names of the objects in the capwapDot11WlanBindTable are not
consistent (similar prefix) to capwapDot11WlanBindEntry. 

T10. What does 'Bits are exclusive for each other for a specific WLAN
Id' mean for capwapDot11WlanTunnelMode? That only one tunnel mode can be
configured (one bit set)? I assume this does not include the bit
unused(0). What happens if the manager sets more than one bit, ore no
bit, or unused(0) - how does the agent behave in this case? 

T11. What is the persistency of the capwapDot11WlanTunnelMode at agent
reboot? Is the whole table persistent at agent reboot?

T12. I do not understand how does row creation in the
capwapDot11WlanBindTable work. It is indexed by ifIndex and
capwapDot11WlanId. The only visible object in this table except
RowStatus is capwapDot11WlanBssIfIndex which is read-only and the
description says that 'it is the same interface as identified by the
same value of ifIndex. But the manager cannot read its value until the
row exists. How does the manager know its value in order to create the
row in the table?  

T13. Is the capwapDot11WlanBindTable persistent at agent reboot?

E1. Not all acronyms are expanded at first occurrence - e.g. WTP

E2. Please avoid using the construct 'the MIBs' (e.g. in Section 5).
s/the MIBs/the MIB modules/

E3. There is no need to include sections 6.1 and 6.2, they provide no
new or specific information for this MIB module. 

E4. I suggest for this document to be verified by a native English
speaker for English spelling and grammar. 

E5. ifIndex, ifDescr, ifName, ifAlias in the WLAN Service Interface and
WLAN BSS Interface table contain no specific information, I suggest to
just mention that they are used as per RFC 2863 

Dan

_______________________________________________
MIB-DOCTORS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mib-doctors