Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] IANA allocations in Informational RFCs

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:56:20 +0100

David Black raised the following issue in his Gen-ART review for
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-capwap-base-mib-06.txt

[*] Intended document status is now Informational.  That needs to be
changed on the title page, but more importantly, someone (draft
shepherd?) should double-check whether the requested IANA allocations
are appropriate for an Informational document.
If there's a problem here, the IESG should be warned that a process
exception may be needed, as I think the allocations are necessary for
this draft.

I personally do not think that there is any problem here. The IANA
allocations are the MIB module assignment under mib-2 and a new ifType.
As far as I know addition of ifType values require just Expert Review,
and I could not find anything in 4181 or 2578 that mandates a
standards-track document for OID assignments of MIB modules roots under
mib-2. Does anybody know differently? 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan