Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: [AVT] WG Review: Recharter of Audio/Video Transport (avt)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:22:43 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] WG Review: Recharter of Audio/Video Transport (avt)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Audio/Video Transport
(avt) working group in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The
modified charter is provided below for informational purposes only.
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
Tuesday, February 2, 2010.

Audio/Video Transport (avt)
----------------------------
Last Modified: 2010-01-21
Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/avt

Chair(s):
 Roni Even <[email-masked]>
 Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
 Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
 Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
 Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Audio/Video Transport Working Group was formed to specify a protocol
for real-time transmission of audio and video over unicast and multicast
UDP/IP. This is the Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, along with its
associated profiles and payload formats.

RTP itself has been shepherded to Full Standard. Its associated
profiles, extensions, and payload formats are currently at various
levels of stardards maturity. This working group's current work centers
in four areas:

1) Maintenance of the core RTP/RTCP protocols and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF,
and SAVPF profiles

2) Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP

3) Specification of metric blocks for use with the RTCP Extended Report
(XR) framework

4) Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining,
synchronizing, control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia sessions

In these areas, the group is chartered to focus on the following tasks.
Work supporting those areas, but not reflected in these tasks must not
be accepted by the working group without an explicit re-chartering. In
particular, new items supporting the fourth area are expected to be
reviewed in DISPATCH before being considered new charter items for this
group.

1) Maintenance of the core RTP/SRTP/RTCP protocols and the AVP, SAVP,
AVPF, and SAVPF profiles
- maintain and enhance the SRTP Profile, with review and input from the
Security Area
- specify how to use Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) with
RTP/RTCP

2) Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP
- provide guidelines for payload format design
- develop payload formats for new media codecs
- review and revise existing payload formats to advance those which are
useful to Draft Standard or Standard, and to declare others as Historic.

3) Specification of metric blocks for use with the RTCP Extended Report
(XR) framework
- provide a mechanism allowing identification data for a set of related
metric reports to be carried separately and identified in those reports
by reference
- provide report blocks for delay, delay variation, and discard
- provide report blocks for burst/gap discard and loss
- provide report blocks supporting rapid synchronization of multiple RTP
streams
- provide report blocks for jitter buffer metrics
- provide report blocks for loss concealment metrics

4) Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining,
synchronizing, control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia sessions
- develop tools to support rapid acquisition of multimedia streams
-specify necessary extensions to support rapid synchronization of
multiple RTP streams

Milestones:

Maintenance of the core RTP/RTCP protocols and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and
SAVPF profiles Jan-10 Submit draft explaining why SRTP need not be
mandatory for media transport, for Informational Jan-10 Policy for
Registering SRTP Transforms for Proposed Standard Feb-10 Submit Port
Mapping Between Unicast and Multicast RTP Sessions for Proposed Standard
Mar-10 Submit Guidelines for Extending the RTP Control Protocol
(RTCP) for Informational
Mar-10 Submit Monitoring Architecture for RTP for Informational Apr-10
Submit in band keying mechanism for SRTP draft for Proposed Standard
May-10 Submit Real-Time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) in Overlay
Multicast for Proposed Standard May-10 Submit Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP for Proposed Standard Nov-10
Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time Transport
Protocol (SRTP) for Proposed Standard

Specification and maintenance of payload formats for use with RTP Jan-10
Submit RTP Payload Format for H.264 RCDO Video for Proposed Standard
Jan-10 RTP Payload Format for GSM-HR for Proposed Standard Jan-10 RTP
Payload Format for DRA Audio for Informational Feb-10 Submit RTP Payload
Format for SVC Video for Proposed Standard Feb-10 Submit How to Write an
RTP Payload Format for Informational Mar-10 Submit RTP Payload Format
for DV (IEC 61834) Video for Proposed Standard Mar-10 Submit EVBR/G.718
payload draft for Proposed Standard Mar-10 RTP Payload Format for
MPEG2-TS preamble for Proposed Standard Mar-10 RTP Payload Format for
MPEG-4 Audio/Visual Streams for Proposed Standard Apr-10 RTP Payload
Format for Enhanced Variable Rate Narrowband- Wideband Codec (EVRC-NW)
for Proposed Standard Apr-10 RTP Payload Format for Bluetooth's SBC
audio codec for Proposed Standard Apr-10 RTP Payload Format for the iSAC
codec for Proposed Standard Sep-10 RTP Payload Format for the CELT codec
for Proposed Standard Sep-10 RTP Payload Format for the APTX codec for
Proposed Standard Sep-10 RTP profile for the carriage of SMPTE 336M data
for Proposed Standard Oct-10 RTP Payload Format for MVC Video for
Proposed Standard Dec-10 Submit RTP Payload Format for MIDI for Proposed
Standard

Specification of metric blocks for use with the RTCP Extended Report
(XR) framework
Feb-10 Submit Multicast Acquisition Report Block Type for RTCP XR Mar-10
Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Measurement Identity Apr-10 Submit RTCP
XR Report Block for Burst/Gap Discard metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit
RTCP XR Report Block for Burst/Gap Loss metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit
RTCP XR Report Block for Concealed Seconds metric Reporting Apr-10
Submit RTCP XR Report Block for Delay metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit
RTCP XR Report Block for Discard metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR
Report Block for Jitter Buffer Metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR
Report Block for Loss Concealment metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR
Report Block for Packet Delay Variation Metric Reporting Apr-10 Submit
Real-time Transport Control Protocol Extension Report for Run Length
Encoding of Discarded Packets Apr-10 Submit RTCP XR Report Block for QoE
Metrics Reporting

Extensions to the core protocols to facilitate joining, synchronizing,
control, and monitoring of RTP multimedia Jan-10 Submit Unicast-Based
Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP Sessions for Proposed Standard Jan-10
Submit Rapid Synchronization of RTP Flows for Proposed Standard Jan-10
Submit Forward-shifted RTP Redundancy Payload Support for Proposed
Standard Apr-10 Submit Considerations for RAMS Scenarios for
Informational _______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt