Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] FW: [IETFMIBS] unsigned64 and float64 In draft-ietf-ipfix-psamp-mib-01

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:19:57 +0200

Just in case any of the MIB-Doctors is not subscribed to ietfmibs. 

Juergen Schoenwaelder already responded pointing to the Unsigned64TC in
the APPLICATION-MIB. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Juergen Quittek
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 8:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Nevil Brownlee; Thomas Dietz
Subject: [IETFMIBS] unsigned64 and float64 In
draft-ietf-ipfix-psamp-mib-01

Dear all,

I would like to get advice on modeling 64 bit numbers with SMI.

The PSAMP MIB module in draft-ietf-ipfix-psamp-mib-01 has two objects
that need 64 bit datatypes.
  - psampFiltHashInitializerValue needs a 64 bit unsigned data type
  - psampSampUniProbProbability needs a 64 bit floating point data type
We can't just use 32 bit types, because these objects represent
parameters of hash functions that has been specified as 64 bit data
types in the PSAMP information model.

Since SMIv2 does not have 64 bit data types (at least to our knowledge),
our current solution is using octet strings of size 8. We don't think
this is the most elegant way to go. Probably we are not the first ones
having this problem. Is there a better solution?

Thanks,

    Juergen

_______________________________________________
IETFMIBS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietfmibs