Subject: [MIB-DOCTORS] The review comments to the MEF SOAM MIB modules

From: young <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:06:58 +0800

Hi, Bert and Steve:

   Kindly check my comments to the MEF SOAM MIB modules.

For ethSoamTcMib,

1) The name of each TC should use EthSoamTc as prefix.

2) For the first appearance of the words such as ME, it should give a 

full name too. The format of the text could like: XX XX (ME).

3) Suggestion

a)The DEFINITIONS should use same prefix as MODULE-IDENTITY.

So the ETH-SERVICE-OAM-TC-MIB should be ETH-SOAM-TC-MIB

b)For the DESCRIPTION of StartEndTimeType, the words "operation time" is

better than "start time" since it can be either start or stop operation.

If it is ok, EthSoamOperateTimeType will be better name for this TC.

For ethSoamFmMib,

1) All the group name, table name, object name should use a consistent

prefix: ethSoamFm

2) The objects in a table should use a same prefix as the name of table.

For example, for table ethSoam(Fm)NetCfgTable, all the objects in the 

table should use the prefix ethSoam(Fm)NetCfg.

3) For the first appearance of the words such as MEG, it should give a 

full name too.

4) Suggestion:

For the DESCRIPTION of ethSoamMepConnectivityStatus, suggest

to use the format as followed:

    DESCRIPTION

       "This attribute indicates the connectivity status for a MEP

        in an EVC ME.

        An 'active' MEP Connectivity Status refers

        to the ability to exchange SOAM PDU frames among all the

        UNIs of an EVC.

        A 'partiallyActive' MEP Connectivity Status

        refers to the ability to exchange SOAM PDU frames among some

        but not all the UNIs of an EVC.

        An 'inactive' MEP Connectivity Status refers to the inability

        to exchange SOAM PDU frames among any of the UNIs of an EVC."

5) bCfmFaultAlarm(0) miss a 's' for enable

6) The DEFINITIONS should use same prefix as MODULE-IDENTITY.

So the ETH-SERVICE-OAM-FM-MIB should be ETH-SOAM-FM-MIB.

SNICng result:

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (65,1) Textual convention

> "ConnectivityStatusType" defined but not used

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (95,1) Textual convention "DataPatternType"

> defined but not used

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (110,1) Textual convention 

> > "IntervalTypeAisLck" defined but not used

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (127,1) Textual convention "MegIdType" 

> > defined but not used

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (191,1) Textual convention 

> > "StartEndTimeType"defined but not used

> >     W: f(ethSoamTc.mi2), (216,1) Textual convention 

> > "TestPatternType" defined but not used

> >     E: f(ethSoamFm.mi2), (686,14) Default value for 

> > "ethSoamAisInterval" must be  a name and not a number

  Regards

  Richard

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
代表 Bert (IETF) Wijnen
发送时间: 2010年9月24日 19:03
收件人: [email-masked]
抄送: Steve Mood
主题: [MIB-DOCTORS] Call for volunteer MIB doctor review for MEF SOAM
MIBmodules

Dan (on vacation for a week or so) asked me to forward this to the
MIB doctors list to call for a volunteer reviewer.

Pls start the review and let the list know if your do want to volunteer!
Pls copy Steve explicitly, because he is not on the MIB doctors list.

I do not have time to review (certainly not in the short term).

Steve, 
I did a very quick browse through the mib modules though
and I already wonder:

- I would have all MIB object descriptors (names) start with Mef or mef,
   so it is very clear they come from MEF
- Specifically, the textuatl conventions do not look generic, and so
prefixing them
  with Mef woul be very wise (and I think also in accordance with the
guidance
  in RFC4181.
-  I see tables with read-create objects without even a RowStatus object??? 
- is the LLDP-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN there just as a FYI? 
   That MIB  belongs in 802.1 does it not??
   You're not trying to redefine it are you.

Bert

-------- Original Message -------- 

Subject: 

RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Date: 

Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:49:03 -0700

From: 

Steve Mood  <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

To: 

Romascanu, Dan (Dan)  <mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>,
<mailto:[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

Bert, 

Here is the link. Sorry it took so long. Our web guy is actually on vacation
today.

http://www.omnitron-systems.com/temp/MEFSOAMTC-FMMIBs.zip

-Steve

From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:49 AM
To: Steve Mood
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Steve,

I am disconnecting now and logging off for my vacation. Please send the link
to Bert who is backing me up on managing the MIB-Doctors team and other in
my absence. 

Bert, 

When Steve's link arrives, please send a call for volunteers to the MIB
Doctors list on my behalf for reviewing the two MEF MIB modules. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____  

From: Steve Mood [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 6:37 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Dan,

I will get it uploaded and provide a link soon.

-Steve

From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:09 AM
To: Steve Mood
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Steve,

My message to the MIB Doctors list returned with an error - looks like the
list does nor accept messages with attachments. 

Can you place the MIB modules at an URL where they can be accessed from by
the MIB-Doctors? 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____  

From: Steve Mood [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:02 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Hi Dan,

I have attached a zip file of the current MEF SOAM TC and FM MIBs. In the
zip file are three text files:

(1) ETH-SERVICE-OAM-TC-MIB-20100923.txt, this file contains the MEF TC MIB

(2) ETH-SERVICE-OAM-FM-MIB-20100923.txt, this file contains the MEF FM MIB

(3) ETH-SOAM-TC-FM-20100923.txt, this file contains the previous two files
as well as the other MIBs necessary to compile the MEF MIBs without problem
for the online libsmi compiler found at
http://www.simpleweb.org/ietf/mibs/validate/.

I ran the validation at level 6 and the only errors observed were for the
other MIBs that were used as “imports” for the MEF MIBs.

Have a great vacation and I hope to hear back from you within a couple of
weeks.

Regards,

-Steve Mood

From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 4:29 AM
To: Steve Mood
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Just be aware that I am going on vacation this night and will be out of mail
for the next ten days. Do not expect too much to happen during this time.

Regards,

Dan

  _____  

From: Steve Mood [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:20 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Dan,

I will send you the text files after our conference call tomorrow to see if
there are any more changes before I send them to you.

Thanks,

-Steve

From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:55 AM
To: Steve Mood
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

It would be useful if you can extract the MIB modules and put them in ASCII
text files, so that they can be directly processed by SMI validation tools. 

Placing them in the same directory which can be accessed by the MIB doctors
would be fine. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____  

From: Steve Mood [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:39 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Hi Dan,

The current MIB modules are found in a Word document at:
http://www.metroethernetforum.net/apps/org/workgroup/technical/download.php/
10178/D00084_002_Service_OAM_MIB_Markup_02.doc

I can extract the TC and FM MIBs from this document if would like me to and
send you the zip file.

-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 9/21/2010 6:27 AM
To: Steve Mood
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Hi Steve,

Can you provide me with a reference to the MIB modules, so that I can
send a call for volunteers on the MIB-Doctors list?

Dan

________________________________

        From: Steve Mood [mailto:[email-masked]]
        Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:00 AM
        To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
        Subject: MEF SOAM MIB

        Hi Dan,

        The MEF SOAM MIB committee is nearing completion on the SOAM FM
and TC MIBs. I remember you telling the MEF that you and the MIB doctors
would be willing to do a review of the MIB. Is that offer still open?

        Steve Mood, CTO

        Omnitron Systems Technology, Inc.

        [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

        +1 949-250-6510 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +1
949-250-6510      end_of_the_skype_highlighting Ext.8810 (Office Phone)

        www.omnitron-systems.com <http://www.omnitron-systems.com>

        Confidentiality Statement: This message, together with any
attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed.  It may contain information that is confidential
and prohibited from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this
message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this item in error, please notify the original sender and destroy this
item, along with any attachments.  Thank you.

---

From: "Steve Mood" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:23:28 -0700

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at all your suggestions.
Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

young <[email-masked]> wrote:

   Hi, Bert and Steve:

For ethSoamTcMib,

3) Suggestion

For ethSoamFmMib,

prefix: ethSoamFm

full name too.

4) Suggestion:

    DESCRIPTION

        in an EVC ME.

        UNIs of an EVC.

SNICng result:

  Regards

  Richard

-----????-----
???: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
?? Bert (IETF) Wijnen
????: 2010?9?24? 19:03
???: [email-masked]
??: Steve Mood
??: [MIB-DOCTORS] Call for volunteer MIB doctor review for MEF SOAM
MIBmodules

Steve,

-  I see tables with read-create objects without even a RowStatus
object???

Bert

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:

RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Date:

From:

Steve Mood  <mailto:[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>

To:

Bert,

Here is the link. Sorry it took so long. Our web guy is actually on
vacation
today.

-Steve

Steve,

I am disconnecting now and logging off for my vacation. Please send the
link
to Bert who is backing me up on managing the MIB-Doctors team and other in
my absence.

Bert,

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____

Dan,

-Steve

Steve,

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____

Hi Dan,

(3) ETH-SOAM-TC-FM-20100923.txt, this file contains the previous two files
as well as the other MIBs necessary to compile the MEF MIBs without
problem
for the online libsmi compiler found at
http://www.simpleweb.org/ietf/mibs/validate/.

Regards,

-Steve Mood

Just be aware that I am going on vacation this night and will be out of
mail
for the next ten days. Do not expect too much to happen during this time.

Regards,

Dan

  _____

Dan,

I will send you the text files after our conference call tomorrow to see
if
there are any more changes before I send them to you.

Thanks,

-Steve

It would be useful if you can extract the MIB modules and put them in
ASCII
text files, so that they can be directly processed by SMI validation
tools.

Placing them in the same directory which can be accessed by the MIB
doctors
would be fine.

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

  _____

Hi Dan,

The current MIB modules are found in a Word document at:
http://www.metroethernetforum.net/apps/org/workgroup/technical/download.ph
p/
10178/D00084_002_Service_OAM_MIB_Markup_02.doc

I can extract the TC and FM MIBs from this document if would like me to
and
send you the zip file.

-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue 9/21/2010 6:27 AM
To: Steve Mood
Subject: RE: MEF SOAM MIB

Hi Steve,

Dan

        Hi Dan,

        Steve Mood, CTO