Subject: [mif] New I-D: draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:56:25 +0100

Hi,

I have now created a new I-D http://tools.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00.txt based on the comments I recall receiving in IETF#73 for the previous version (draft-savolainen-6man-fqdn-based-if-selection).

Most notably this new I-D is now focusing purely on DNS server selection in multi-homed environments facing split DNS problems. I.e. the network interface and address selection for actual IP flows (i.e. usage of DNS suffixes for routing & source address selection) is now totally dropped out (except that the draft mentions those really are needed..).

Comments are welcome,

        Teemu

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 19 February, 2009 15:45
>To: Savolainen Teemu (Nokia-D-MSW/Tampere)
>Subject: New Version Notification for
>draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00
>
>
>A new version of I-D,
>draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00.txt has been
>successfuly submitted by Teemu Savolainen and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Filename:        draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection
>Revision:        00
>Title:           DNS Server Selection on Multi-Homed Hosts
>Creation_date:   2009-02-19
>WG ID:           Independent Submission
>Number_of_pages: 12
>
>Abstract:
>A multi-homed host may receive DNS server configuration
>information from multiple physical and/or virtual network
>interfaces.  In split DNS scenarios not all DNS servers are
>able to provide the same information.  When the multi-homed
>host needs to utilize DNS, it has to select which of the
>servers to contact to.  This document describes problems of
>split DNS for multi-homed hosts and also a method for
>selecting the DNS server with help of DNS suffix information
>received dynamically for each network interface.  The method
>is useful in split DNS scenarios where private names are used
>and where correct DNS server selection is mandatory for
>successful DNS resolution.
>
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat.
>
>
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:41:09 +0100

Hi,

For your information, I believe Nokia may own IPR related to this draft. Nokia may submit a written IPR declaration, according to BCP79, pertaining to this draft, as soon as our experts have evaluated the situation.

Best regards,

        Teemu

>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
>Behalf Of Savolainen Teemu (Nokia-D-MSW/Tampere)
>Sent: 19 February, 2009 15:56
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [mif] New I-D: draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00
>
>Hi,
>
>I have now created a new I-D
>http://tools.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savolainen-mif-dns-
>server-selection-00.txt based on the comments I recall
>receiving in IETF#73 for the previous version
>(draft-savolainen-6man-fqdn-based-if-selection).
>
>Most notably this new I-D is now focusing purely on DNS server
>selection in multi-homed environments facing split DNS
>problems. I.e. the network interface and address selection for
>actual IP flows (i.e. usage of DNS suffixes for routing &
>source address selection) is now totally dropped out (except
>that the draft mentions those really are needed..).
>
>Comments are welcome,
>
>        Teemu
>
>>draft-savolainen-mif-dns-server-selection-00.txt has been successfuly
>>submitted by Teemu Savolainen and posted to the IETF repository.
>>
>>A multi-homed host may receive DNS server configuration information
>>from multiple physical and/or virtual network interfaces.  In
>split DNS
>>scenarios not all DNS servers are able to provide the same
>information.
>>When the multi-homed host needs to utilize DNS, it has to
>select which
>>of the servers to contact to.  This document describes problems of
>selecting the DNS
>>server with help of DNS suffix information received dynamically for
>>each network interface.  The method is useful in split DNS scenarios
>>where private names are used and where correct DNS server
>selection is
>>mandatory for successful DNS resolution.
>>
>>
>>
>>The IETF Secretariat.
>>
>>
>>
>_______________________________________________
>mif mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mif
>