Subject: [Mip4] question about MIP

From: Li Jun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:17:19 +0800

Dear all
 
I have a question about MIP.
If a MN receives 2 Agent Advertisements, one is FA Agent Advertisement
and another one is HA Agent Advertisement, and the MN do not know the
home address and HA address.
How can the MN determine if it is at home or not?

Best Regards
 
Li Jun
Huawei Technoligies Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-755-28972250
Mobile: +86-13823734043

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Hans Sjostrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:08:05 +0100

Dear Li Jun,

It's only one thing that determines if you are home or not - A
successful authenticated deregistration.
Anything else is just a first assumption. Even if you where configured
with a home address and a HA address and you find these somewhere in the
air, you are not home until you have deregistered. So, you are no safer
with addresses than without, same rules apply.

In ipUnplugged solutions we use a home network nai to determine if the
MN should try to deregister against an advertised HA. See RFC3846 how
this agent NAI is carried in the advertisements. It's simple and
unambiguous.

As a more general approach with regards to the Dynamic HA Assignment; If
I where a MN without home, and I had to choose between a home agent and
a foreign agent offering their services. I'd try to deregister against
the home agent using it as Requested HA. At best, I'd be deregistered
and lucky to find a home. Or I'd be referred to another HA or ,at worst,
I'd be plain rejected. But being a MN these things happen :-) and I'll
go on with my life and try registering using the FA.

Best regards
/// Hasse