Subject: [Mip4] CFP: Sigcomm Workshop on Challenged Networks (CHANTS)

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:24:42 -0800 (PST)

(See below:  papers are due April 21st)

=====================================================================
		  	  CALL FOR PAPERS
     Sigcomm 2006 - Workshop on Challenged Networks (CHANTS-06)
   	      Pisa, Italy - September 11-15, 2006
=====================================================================

Technical Area:

   Challenged networks include those found in mobile and in-motion 
networking, dynamic wireless networks, heterogeneous and mobile 
sensor networks, interplanetary networking, and networks providing 
rural connectivity. Such networks are not well served by standard 
TCP/IP solutions, due to the prevalence of disconnection, disruption, 
intermittency, large delays, or other factors. 

   Today, the most successful network architecture is that of the 
Internet. It has scaled well beyond the original plan of its 
designers, and the Internet Protocol has been carried on a great 
number of underlying protocols, including itself. However, the 
Internet's protocol architecture suffers some problems when 
implemented on classes of networks for which it was not originally 
designed. For example, when disconnection and reconnection is common, 
or link performance is highly variable or extreme, one or more of the 
traditional Internet protocols do not work well. In this workshop, we 
wish to explore physical networks that operate significantly 
differently from wired, connected networks and the protocol 
architectures and algorithms used to deal with such situations. 
Techniques for making applications tolerant to disruptions and/or 
high delays are also in scope. More specifically, we solicit papers 
in the following areas:

- Characterization of performance-challenged networks, 
e.g. network measurements.
- Networking systems operating over unusual/challenged networks.
- Protocol design and evaluation of operations over challenged 
networks.
- Robust network application design and implementation techniques. 
- Delay tolerant and disruption tolerant networks (DTN).
- Situated and autonomic communications for challenged networks.
- Handling user concerns in challenged networks such as usability, 
privacy, security and incentives to cooperate.

   Submissions may include presentations of specific systems or 
performance measurements, as well as more general, philosophical 
position papers. Papers that bring out interesting and novel ideas at 
an early stage in their development are favored over highly polished, 
journal-style results. Selected papers will be forward-looking, with 
impact and implications for ongoing or future research. We aim to 
accept around 15 papers, and to have a highly interactive workshop 
focusing on broader issues and community development.

Paper Format and Submission:

   Submitted papers must be no more than 8 pages long, double 
column, with no characters smaller than 10 point fonts.  Papers will 
be reviewed single blind, which means be sure to include author 
information on the first page after the title and before the 
abstract. Papers that do not adhere to these requirements exactly (or 
attempt to cheat on spacing or fonts) will not be accepted for 
submission.

   Paper submission will be via EDAS.  The exact URL will be posted 
by April 1, 2006.

Important Dates:

	Submission Deadline: 21 April 2006
	Notification of Acceptance: 2 June 2006
	Camera Ready Deadline: 16 June 2006
	Workshop Date: 11-15 Sept 2006

Organizing Committee:

	Technical Program Co-chairs:

		Kevin Almeroth, UC-Santa Barbara
		Email: [email-masked]

		James Scott, Intel Research Cambridge
		Email: [email-masked]

	Program Committee Members: (Under Construction)

	Webmaster:  Khaled Harras, UC-Santa Barbara

=====================================================================

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/