Subject: Re: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:40:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Kent,
  Just out of curiousity, hasn't this protocol been productized already? Such a thing was mentioned when NEMO WG was being formed and that was why NEMO WG concentrated on IPv6 based solution?

Regards,

--behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:50:03 PM
Subject: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the IETF.

    Title        : IPv4 Network Mobility (NEMO) Protocol
    Author(s)    : K. Leung, et al.
    Filename    : draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt
    Pages        : 1
    Date        : 2007-3-1

   This document describes a protocol for supporting Mobile Networks
   between a Mobile Router and a Home Agent by extending the Mobile IPv4
   protocol.  A Mobile Router is responsible for the mobility of one or
   more network segments or subnets moving together.  The Mobile Router
   hides its mobility from the nodes on the mobile network.  The nodes
   on the Mobile Network may be fixed in relationship to the Mobile
   Router and may not have any mobility function.

   Extensions to Mobile IPv4 are introduced to support Mobile Networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
    [email-masked].
In the body type:
    "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt".
    
NOTE:    The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
    MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
    feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
    command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
    a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
    exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
    "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
    up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
    how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:00:39 -0800

Hi Behcet.  NEMOv4 is needed for interoperability.
 
MIP4 WG charter:
 
11. MIPv4 Moving Network Support

The Network Mobility (nemo) working group deals with the problem of
mobility of a whole network, such as might exist inside a vehicle,
train, or airplane. The nemo working group has developed draft
specifications for both IPv6 and IPv4 mobile networks. However, it has
been recognized that the IPv4 version of the protocol can be viewed as
an extension of the basic Mobile IPv4 protocol, and there is good 
reason
to do this extension in the mip4 working group. The working group will
take on the MIPv4 network mobility internet draft and progress it along
the standards track. In addition, the working group will take up
extensions to the basic MIPv4 moving network support in the areas of
dynamic prefix assignment and foreign agent support.

Kent

________________________________

From: Behcet Sarikaya [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 9:41 AM
To: Kent Leung (kleung)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt

Hi Kent,
  Just out of curiousity, hasn't this protocol been productized already?
Such a thing was mentioned when NEMO WG was being formed and that was
why NEMO WG concentrated on IPv6 based solution?
 
Regards,
 
--behcet

----- Original Message ----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:50:03 PM
Subject: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the
IETF.

Send a message to:
    [email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:50:47 +0100

Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> Hi Kent, Just out of curiousity, hasn't this protocol been 
> productized already? Such a thing was mentioned when NEMO WG was 
> being formed and that was why NEMO WG concentrated on IPv6 based 
> solution?

Hi Behcet, good question.

We started the NEMOv4 document effort more than 2 years ago, an activity
that was publicly visible mostly in the NEMO Working Group.  At that
point not only one implementation existed but at least two, and they
were incompatible.

Since then the document evolved through several discussions, its
essential part (message formats) changed substantially, and at least
some implementations were updated accordingly.  Additionally, there
exist today a public patch to a packet analyzer that interprets the
NEMOv4 messages according to this document.

When the NEMO WG was started, a few comments indicated that some were
willing to take on IPv4 work, and that happened.

NEMO WG concentrating today mostly on IPv6 work is a will of some of its
members, not all.

That to answer quickly the question.  But it seems you're trying to
suggest something with that question... what exactly is it?

Alex

> 
> Regards,
> 
> --behcet
> 
> ----- Original Message ---- From: "[email-masked]" 
> <[email-masked]> To: [email-masked] Cc: 
> [email-masked] Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:50:03 PM Subject: 
> [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt
> 
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 
> Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> Title        : IPv4 Network Mobility (NEMO) Protocol Author(s)    : 
> K. Leung, et al. Filename    : draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt 
> Pages        : 1 Date        : 2007-3-1
> 
> 
> [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body 
> of the message. You can also visit 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce to change your 
> subscription settings.
> 
> logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get 
> draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt".
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> 
> Send a message to: [email-masked]. In the body type: "FILE 
> /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-nemo-v4-base-00.txt".
> 
> MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this feature,
>  insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE" command.  To 
> decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or a MIME-compliant 
> mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers exhibit different
>  behavior, especially when dealing with "multipart" MIME messages 
> (i.e. documents which have been split up into multiple messages), so 
> check your local documentation on how to manipulate these messages.
> 
> Internet-Draft. -- Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked] Web interface: 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4 Charter page: 
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html Supplemental 
> site: http://www.mip4.org/
> 

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________