Subject: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:50:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IP Mobility Support for IPv4, revised
	Author(s)	: C. Perkins
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt
	Pages		: 99
	Date		: 2007-3-8
	
This document specifies protocol enhancements that allow transparent
   routing of IP datagrams to mobile nodes in the Internet.  Each
   mobile node is always identified by its home address, regardless of
   its current point of attachment to the Internet.  While situated
   away from its home, a mobile node is also associated with a
   care-of address, which provides information about its current

   point of attachment to the Internet.  The protocol provides for
   registering the care-of address with a home agent.  The home agent
   sends datagrams destined for the mobile node through a tunnel to
   the care-of address.  After arriving at the end of the tunnel, each
   datagram is then delivered to the mobile node.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:08:15 -0700

Hi.  The FA logic in handing registration reply in section 3.7.3.1 has
shortcomings.  When multiple MNs with different NAIs sent registration
requests with the same ID field (i.e. at the same time) and Home Address
set to zero, the FA cannot map the registration reply to the right
pending request.

It would be unambiguous if FA can map the reply to the request based on
the NAI and ID field when NAI extension was in the registration request.

Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 12:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group of the
IETF.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get
draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: "Ahmad Muhanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:34:43 -0500

Hi Kent,
Please see comments inline.

Regards,
Ahmad

> From: Kent Leung (kleung) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:08 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt
> 
>  
> Hi.  The FA logic in handing registration reply in section 
> 3.7.3.1 has shortcomings.  When multiple MNs with different 
> NAIs sent registration requests with the same ID field (i.e. 
> at the same time) and Home Address set to zero, the FA cannot 

[Ahmad]
I understand that the higher order 32 bits of the RRQ ID is the time
stamp but what do you mean that the RRQ IDs are equal? Can you elaborate
a little more. Thanks.

> map the registration reply to the right pending request.
> 
> It would be unambiguous if FA can map the reply to the 
> request based on the NAI and ID field when NAI extension was 
> in the registration request.

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a 
> message to [email-masked] with the word 
> unsubscribe in the body of the message. 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login 
> with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail 
> address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail 
> reader implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII 
> version of the Internet-Draft.
> 
> --

---

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:43:39 -0700

Hi Ahmad.  See comments below. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmad Muhanna [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:35 PM
To: Kent Leung (kleung); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt

Hi Kent,

Regards,
Ahmad

> 3.7.3.1 has shortcomings.  When multiple MNs with different NAIs sent 
> registration requests with the same ID field (i.e.

[Ahmad]

KL> The total 64-bit value in the Identification field is the same.
This means that the lower 32 bits containing the fractional second is
identical as well.  Actually, this problem happens when the lower 32
bits are the same among pending RRQs with Home Address field set to
zero.  But most likely the upper 32 bits are the same because pending
requests are processed fairly quickly.

Kent

> It would be unambiguous if FA can map the reply to the request based 
> on the NAI and ID field when NAI extension was in the registration 
> request.

readers

---

From: "Ahmad Muhanna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:11:15 -0500

Hi Kent,

In the same section you mentioned 3.7.3.1., I think the text already
covers what you are requesting and I do not see any ambiguity. Here is
the excerpt:

"
   When a foreign agent receives a Registration Reply message, it MUST
   search its visitor list for a pending Registration Request with the
   same mobile node home address as indicated in the Reply.  If no such
   pending Request is found, and if the Registration Reply does not
   correspond with any pending Registration Request with a zero mobile
   node home address (see section 3.7.1), the foreign agent MUST
   silently discard the Reply.  The foreign agent MUST also silently
   discard the Reply if the low-order 32 bits of the Identification
   field in the Reply do not match those in the Request.
"

I think the key text here is "... , and if the Registration Reply does
not correspond with any pending Registration Request with a zero mobile
node home address (see section 3.7.1) ....."

And since section 3.7.1. refers to RFC2794 which address the
identification of a user/MN using NAI while the Home address field of
zero. I believe the text already covers what you are looking for. No?

Regards,
Ahmad

> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 6:44 PM
> To: Muhanna, Ahmad (RICH1:2H10); [email-masked]
> NAIs sent 
> I understand that the higher order 32 bits of the RRQ ID is 
> the time stamp but what do you mean that the RRQ IDs are 
> equal? Can you elaborate a little more. Thanks.
> 
> This means that the lower 32 bits containing the fractional 
> second is identical as well.  Actually, this problem happens 
> when the lower 32 bits are the same among pending RRQs with 
> Home Address field set to zero.  But most likely the upper 32 
> bits are the same because pending requests are processed 
> fairly quickly.
> 
> Kent
> 
> 
> 
> request based 
> message to 
> > You can also visit 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> >      Charter page: 
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html

---

From: "Kent Leung \(kleung\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:22:26 -0700

Hi Ahmad.  I agree that it's OK, my oversight on "see section 3.7.1" and
assumption that the reply must be discarded.  Thanks.

Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: Ahmad Muhanna [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:11 PM
To: Kent Leung (kleung); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Mip4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip4-rfc3344bis-03.txt

Hi Kent,

"

Regards,
Ahmad