Subject: [Mip4] MIP RRQ Doubt

From: "Arunkumar Sivaraman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:17:08 +0530

Hello,

   I have a doubt on how a HA will behave, under the following scenario:

a.       MN sends MIP RRQ, requesting dynamic home address, through FA -
which forwards it after auth, to HA.

b.       HA, authenticates user, and replies back with RRP with home
address.

c.       MN generates one more RRQ as in step #a before RRP from step #b
arrives.

Assume, this 3 steps keep happening repeatedly. How does the HA react to
this?

1.       It keeps giving the same home address back to the MN.

Or

2.       It gives a new IP address, from probably a local ip address
pool, each time a RRQ comes with HoA=0, and thereby, probably, updating
its binding list for the MN.

regards,

Arunkumar Sivaraman,

Airvana India Pvt. Ltd.,

Ph: +91-80-66189835.

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like."

-- 
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: "Bjorn Andersson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:13:10 +0300

On 4/20/07, Arunkumar Sivaraman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> a.       MN sends MIP RRQ, requesting dynamic home address, through FA –

Since the MN has to include it's NAI in this scenario I would
implement the HA to always return the same IP address for the same NAI
once it has been allocated for it. The HA could even keep it allocated
for some configurable time after the registration has expired so that
the MN even gets the same address, after expiration, if it registers
again within that time.  There is probably no benefit in allocating a
new address from the home network pool, and as you indicate, this
would probably just generate problems.

> Or
>
> 2.       It gives a new IP address, from probably a local ip address pool,
> each time a RRQ comes with HoA=0, and thereby, probably, updating its
> binding list for the MN.

  Bjorn