Subject: [Mip4] Recharter: Host Configuration

From: "McCann Peter-A001034" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:49:18 -0400

Hi, all,

During our meeting at IETF74, we discussed the way forward for
host configuration with Mobile IPv4.  On the table are the following
drafts:

draft-ietf-mip4-gen-ext-04.txt
draft-deng-mip4-host-configuration-00.txt
draft-chakrabarti-mip4-mcbc-03.txt

There was an involved discussion during the meeting on what to
do.  The point was raised that some SDOs are already extending
mip4 with VSEs to do host configuration, and that some support
is needed for non-DHCP clients.  Issues with the handling of
the broadcast DHCPDISCOVER on the home link were also raised,
and some people thought that the current specifications would
require the home agent to relay every DHCPDISCOVER to every
connected mobile node.  This clearly would be unacceptable.

However, we don't want to go creating too many mechanisms for
host configuration that would require maintenance of mip4 every
time we add a new configuration option.

One proposal put forth by George at the meeting was to do one
extension to mip4 to carry a unicast address of a DHCP server,
and then run DHCPINFORM directly between the mobile host and 
that server using unicast messages.

Is this the most viable way forward?  Please respond to this
note with a message saying whether you agree/disagree with this
approach, and state your reasons why.

Note that there was also support for the multicast-broadcast
enhancement draft independent of DHCP.  I will create a separate
thread to discuss whether to take on that work in our rechartering
effort.

-Pete

---

From: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 09:03:46 -0700

I support a work item for host configuration.  George's proposal should
be studied further.

Kent 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
McCann Peter-A001034
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 8:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Henrik Levkowetz
Subject: [Mip4] Recharter: Host Configuration

Hi, all,

During our meeting at IETF74, we discussed the way forward for host
configuration with Mobile IPv4.  On the table are the following
drafts:

There was an involved discussion during the meeting on what to do.  The
point was raised that some SDOs are already extending
mip4 with VSEs to do host configuration, and that some support is needed
for non-DHCP clients.  Issues with the handling of the broadcast
DHCPDISCOVER on the home link were also raised, and some people thought
that the current specifications would require the home agent to relay
every DHCPDISCOVER to every connected mobile node.  This clearly would
be unacceptable.

However, we don't want to go creating too many mechanisms for host
configuration that would require maintenance of mip4 every time we add a
new configuration option.

One proposal put forth by George at the meeting was to do one extension
to mip4 to carry a unicast address of a DHCP server, and then run
DHCPINFORM directly between the mobile host and that server using
unicast messages.

Is this the most viable way forward?  Please respond to this note with a
message saying whether you agree/disagree with this approach, and state
your reasons why.

Note that there was also support for the multicast-broadcast enhancement
draft independent of DHCP.  I will create a separate thread to discuss
whether to take on that work in our rechartering effort.

-Pete
--
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/