Subject: [Mip4] Two final nits on gre-key

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:00:46 -0600

I went back and checked the latest changes to the gre-key draft.
It now contains the following text:

   If the MN does not set both the 'G' bit and the 'D' bit (i.e., the
   mobile node is not using a co-located care-of address), and the local
   policy allows the FA to override the 'G' bit setting received from
   the MS, the FA MUST include the GRE-Key Extension as defined in this
   memo in the Registration Request that it propogates to the HA.

I don't think this text quite says what was intended.  It should say:

   If the MN does not set the 'G' bit and does not set the 'D' bit (i.e.,
   the mobile node does not request GRE tunneling but is not using
   a co-located care-of address), and the local policy of the FA requires
   it to override the 'G' bit setting received from the MN, the FA MUST
   include the GRE-Key Extension as defined in this document in the
   Registration Request that it propagates to the HA.

The problem is, !(A & B) equals !A | !B, but what you wanted was
!A & !B.

Also, this text in Section 5 should be slightly changed:

   The GRE Key extension MAY be included in Registration Requests
   [RFC3344].

It should say:

   The GRE Key extension MAY be included in Registration Requests
   or Registration Replies [RFC3344].

When we get a version that fixes these two nits, I think we are ready
to send the publication request, unless there are any other objections.

-Pete

---

From: "Kent Leung (kleung)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 09:37:25 -0800

Hi Pete.  Comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Pete McCann
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip4] Two final nits on gre-key

   If the MN does not set the 'G' bit and does not set the 'D' bit
(i.e.,
   the mobile node does not request GRE tunneling but is not using
   a co-located care-of address), and the local policy of the FA
requires
   it to override the 'G' bit setting received from the MN, the FA MUST
   include the GRE-Key Extension as defined in this document in the
   Registration Request that it propagates to the HA.

The problem is, !(A & B) equals !A | !B, but what you wanted was
!A & !B.
[Kent Leung (kleung)] Thanks for catching the logic error.  Agree with
the text, only exception is ".. mobile node does not request GRE
tunneling and is not using a co-located care-of address".  Basically,
s/but/and/.

It should say:

   The GRE Key extension MAY be included in Registration Requests
   or Registration Replies [RFC3344].
[Kent Leung (kleung)] Yes.

When we get a version that fixes these two nits, I think we are ready
to send the publication request, unless there are any other objections.
[Kent Leung (kleung)] OK, will do.

Kent

-Pete
--
Mip4 mailing list: [email-masked]
    Web interface: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip4
     Charter page: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip4-charter.html
Supplemental site: http://www.mip4.org/

---

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:58:49 -0600

Hi, Kent,

I'm fine with changing but to and.  I waffled between the two myself.

When you submit, I'll do the writeup.

-Pete