Subject: [Mip4] CFP (due in 1 week): Specialized Ad Hoc Networks and Systems (SAHNS 2011 @ IEEE ICDCS 2011)

From: "Leszek T. Lilien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 03:13:18 -0500

********************************************************************
We apologize in advance if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.

Please disseminate CFP to your colleagues that might be interested.
********************************************************************

---------------------------------------------------------------------
                  CALL FOR PAPERS - due in 1 week

  >> Paper submission deadline extended till Friday, February 11 <<

                           SAHNS 2011
               The Third International Workshop on
             Specialized Ad Hoc Networks and Systems
                 Minneapolis, USA, June 23, 2011
           http://www.cs.wmich.edu/~alfuqaha/SAHNS2011/

     In conjunction with the IEEE 31st International Conference
           on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2011)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. SCOPE

The Workshop provides a forum for engineers and scientists in academia, 
industry and government to present their latest research findings in 
specialized ad hoc networks and systems.

As an alternative to one-size-fits-all general solutions in the area of 
ad hoc networking and systems, we want to stimulate the 
application-oriented divide-and-conquer approach to ad hoc network and 
system research. The goal is to provide sound and efficient specialized 
ad hoc networks and systems (SAHNS), suitable for building solutions 
specific for well-defined classes of applications or even individual 
applications.

We want to consider both specialized ad hoc networks and specialized ad 
hoc systems. The latter can be built on top of specialized ad hoc 
networks. Alternatively, they can be constructed independently of 
specialized ad hoc networks, e.g., on top of general-purpose ad hoc 
networks.

It should be emphasized that SAHNS is interested only in solutions 
specific to specialized ad hoc networks and systems. The Workshop is not 
interested in broad general-purpose solutions for all ad hoc networks 
and systems, or in generic solutions for extremely broad subclasses of 
ad hoc networks and systems. For example, the Workshop is not interested 
in general-purpose solutions for all sensornets or all P2P systems but 
is instead interested in specialized solutions for their 
application-oriented subclasses.

One example of SAHNS targeted by this workshop are Incident Area 
Networks (IANs), dedicated to single incidents or events. An IAN can be 
pre-deployed for a planned event, such as a sporting or "nationally 
significant" event, or can be dynamically deployed for an unplanned 
incident, such as a local law enforcement situation or a natural 
disaster. Another example are opportunistic resource utilization 
networks (e.g., oppnets), in which the network reacts to a lack of 
resources by finding and incorporating "helpers" that have needed 
resources or services.

Areas and topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to:

a) Design issues for SAHNS:
    o Novel network and system architectures
    o Economically-based models and solutions (incl. incentive-based 
techniques)
    o Operating systems and middleware
    o Customized network protocols (incl. cross-layer and Layer 2.5 
protocols)
    o Resource management solutions (incl. discovery and integration of 
resources)
    o Algorithms and models for localization and mobility management
    o Privacy, security, and trust
    o Reliability and dependability
    o Novel hardware platforms

b) Development issues for SAHNS:
    o Development methodologies, models and tools
    o Analytical and validation models
    o Performance evaluation and modeling (incl. simulation tools)
	
c) Operation and management issues for SAHNS:
    o Topology control and management
    o Energy control and management
    o Resource and service discovery and control
    o QoS provisioning and management
    o Data management, data aggregation, data dissemination, and
      query processing
    o Assuring survivability and reliability
    o Controls for privacy, security, and trust management

d) Application issues for SAHNS:
    o Best current and future applications for SAHNS
    o Experience with SAHNS deployments and products
    o Social and business impacts of SAHNS-based applications

2. PAPER SUBMISSION

Papers must be submitted in the PDF format, with numbered pages. They 
should have no more than 6 pages following the IEEE Computer Society 
proceedings format (8.5 by 11 inch sheets, double-column, 10 point or 
larger font, single-spaced).

The following information must be provided on the first page:
    o Paper title
    o Full names, affiliations and email addresses of all authors
    o An abstract (up to 150 words)
    o Five to ten keywords/phrases
    o A footnote with the indication of the corresponding author,
      plus the complete address, phone and fax numbers of the
      corresponding author

Papers should be submitted by emailing them to:
                      [email-masked]
Each received submission will be confirmed, usually within no more than 
two workdays.

3. PAPER REVIEW AND PUBLISHING

Each paper will be peer-reviewed by at least two reviewers and their 
comments will be provided to the authors.

If accepted, the paper will be published in the workshop proceedings by 
the IEEE Computer Society Press, provided that at least one of its 
authors registers for ICDCS (which includes SAHNS) by the early 
registration deadline.

Information on indexing publications for the events of the IEEE Computer 
Society is available at:
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/cscps/benefits#indexing

We plan a special issue of an international journal with extended 
versions of the selected SAHNS papers.

4. IMPORTANT  DEADLINES

Paper submission     -  Friday, February 11, 2011
Author notification  -  Friday, March 11, 2011
Final manuscript due -  Monday, March 30, 2011

5. COMMITTEES

--------- Steering Committee ---------

Bharat Bhargava, Purdue University, USA
Torsten Braun, University of Bern, Switzerland
Ajay Gupta, Western Michigan University, USA
Leszek Lilien (Workshop Chair), Western Michigan University, USA
Thomas Plagemann, University of Oslo, Norway

--------- Technical Program Committee ---------

Dharma P. Agrawal, University of Cincinnati, USA
Ala Al-Fuqaha, Western Michigan University, USA
Tom Altman, University of Colorado at Denver, USA
Habib M. Ammari, Hofstra University, USA
Michel Banâtre, IRISA-Rennes, France
Lotfi Ben Othmane, Kalamazoo College, USA
Vijay Bhuse, Parametric Technology, USA
Glen Colby, Naval Air Systems Command, USA
Andrew DeCarlo, Infoscitex, USA
Ruy de Oliveira, Brazilian Federal
   Institute of Technology, Mato Grosso (IFMT), Brazil
Leszek Gąsieniec, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom
Jeong-Heon Hwang, University at Albany - State University of New York, USA
Ireneusz Jóźwiak, Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland
Steve Ko, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, USA
Dionysios Kountanis, Western Michigan University, USA
Sandeep Kulkarni, Michigan State University, USA
Yao-Nan Lien, National Chengchi University, Republic of China
King-Shan Lui, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Sanjay Madria, Missouri University of  Science and Technology, USA
Kami Makki, Lamar University, USA
Patrick Mitran, University of Waterloo, Canada
Ravi Prakash, University of Texas at Dallas, USA
Leonardo Querzoni, University of Rome "La Sapienza," Italy
S.S. Ravi, University at Albany - State University of New York, USA
Peter Reiher, UCLA, USA
Sol Shatz, Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Vahid Tarokh, Harvard University, USA
Dirk Timmermann, University of Rostock, Germany
Goce Trajcevski, Northwestern University, USA
Weichao Wang, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA
Edward Wantuch, AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland
Isaac Woungang, Ryerson University, Canada
Sherali Zeadally, University of the District of Columbia, USA
Krzysztof Zieliński, AGH University of Science and Technology, Poland

--------- Organizing Committee ---------

Publicity Chairs:
    Africa, Europe and Middle East: Athanasios (Thanos) Vasilakos, 
National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
    Asia and Australia: Mamata Jenamani, Indian Institute of Technology, 
Kharagpur, India
    Central and South America: Ruy de Oliveira, Brazilian Federal 
Institute of Technology, Mato Grosso (IFMT), Brazil
    North America: Ala Al-Fuqaha and Leszek T. Lilien, Western Michigan 
University, USA

Publications Chair: James Yang, Western Michigan University, USA

6. FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information please visit the SAHNS 2011 web pages at:
        http://www.cs.wmich.edu/~alfuqaha/SAHNS2011/
or contact Leszek T. Lilien, Workshop Chair ([email-masked]).

--[CFP v.11.02.4c] --------------------------------------------------