Subject: [Mip4] AD review of draft-ietf-mip4-gre-key-extension

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 01:55:06 +0200

I have reviewed this draft. The document is basically in good shape, was 
easy to read, and I have sent it forward to IETF Last Call and an 
eventual IESG review (currently scheduled for March 17th). I did have 
two comments, however, and I hope that the authors can address them even 
if the last call period is starting:

> The HA SHOULD accept the RRQ and send a RRP with code 'Accepted (0)'.
> The HA MUST assign a GRE key and include the GRE Key Extension in the
> RRP before sending it to the FA.  The HA MUST include the GRE Key
> Extension in all RRPs in response to any RRQ that included GRE Key
> Extension, when a GRE key is available for the registration.
>   

The acronyms RRQ and RRP not defined before in this document.

Also, the above does not leave room for other issues and error 
conditions. What if the HA wants to deny the request for some other 
reason, not related to GRE at all?

> The HA MUST follow the procedures specified in RFC 3344 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3344> in processing
> this extension in Registration Request messages.  If the HA receives
> the GRE Key Extension in a Registration Request and does not
> recognize this non-skippable extension, it MUST silently discard the
> message. 

Perhaps this is already explained in some other document, but how does 
one recover from this situation.

Jari