Subject: [Mip4] CFP: Special Issue of Elsevier Computer Communications on the Internet of Things: Research challenges and Solutions

From: Eleonora Borgia<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 12:21:01 +0200

Our apologies for multiple copies of this CfP.

=============================================================================

Call for Papers 
Special Issue of Elsevier Computer Communications on the
Internet of Things: Research challenges and Solutions

=============================================================================

Scope 
-----

Internet of Things (IoT) refers to an emerging paradigm that seamlessly
integrates a large number of smart objects with the Internet interlinking the
physical and the cyber worlds and keeping them in a tight and continuous
interaction. The envisioned paradigm will need to address significant
complexity. On the one hand, billions of smart objects will be immersed in the
environment, sensing, interacting, and cooperating with each other to enable
efficient services that will bring tangible benefits to the environment, the
economy and the society as a whole. On the other hand, they will be extremely
diverse and heterogeneous in terms of resource capabilities, lifespan and
communication technologies, further complicating the scenario. As a result, new
problems and challenges arise spanning different areas: architecture,
communication, addressing, discovery, data and network management, power and
energy storage, security and privacy, to cite a few. Classic Internet approaches
are not sufficient to solve these unprecedented issues, and need to be revised
to address the complex requirements imposed by IoT. This paves the way for the
development of intelligent algorithms, novel network paradigms and new services.

The objective of this special issue is to seek high-quality and unpublished
papers that push the research in all the facets of IoT. Contributions may
present and solve open technical problems, integrate novel solutions
efficiently, and focus on the performance evaluation and comparison with
existing standards. Theoretical as well as experimental studies for typical IoT
use cases (e.g., smart city, smart home/building, smart grid, transportation,
eHealth/mHealth) are encouraged. High-quality review and survey papers are
welcomed.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to: 
o  Cyber-physical and other IoT systems architectures 
o  Network architecture and system design in IoT 
o  Addressing and naming in IoT o Programming models for the IoT 
o  IoT and Cloud computing o Integration with existing standards and protocols 
   (e.g., RPL, 6LoWPAN, CoAP, MQTT) 
o  Data management in IoT o Machine-to-machine (M2M) communications in IoT 
o  Energy efficient management and sustainable operation of IoT/M2M objects 
o  Information centric network for IoT o Social networks for IoT
o  Context-awareness for IoT o IoT traffic characterization 
o  Privacy, Security and Trust for IoT 
o  Modeling and simulation of large-scale IoT scenarios 
o  Testbed, prototype, and practical systems for IoT use cases

Schedule
--------

o  Title and abstract due date (by email to comcomsi_iot at iit.cnr.it):
   June 1, 2015 
o  Full paper submission deadline: June 15, 2015 
o  First author notification: October 15, 2015
o  Revised paper due: December 15, 2015
o  Final author notification: January 31, 2016 
o  Expected publication: Summer 2016

Guest Editors
------------- 

Eleonora Borgia, IIT-CNR, Italy 
Danielo G. Gomes, Universidade Federal do Ceara', Brazil 
Brent Lagesse, University of Washington, USA 
Rodger Lea, University of British Columbia, Canada 
Daniele Puccinelli, SUPSI, Switzerland

Instructions for submission 
---------------------------

Manuscripts must not have been previously published nor currently under review 
by other journals or conferences. If the paper was published in a conference, 
the submitted manuscript should be a substantial extension of the conference paper, 
with at least 30% of novel contributions.
Authors are also required to submit their published conference articles and a
summary document explaining the enhancements made in the journal version.

Papers must be submitted through the Computer Communications website at
http://ees.elsevier.com/comcom, where guidelines for the manuscript preparation
can also be found (see
http://www.elsevier.com/journals/computer-communications/0140-3664/guide-for-authors).
To ensure that all manuscripts are correctly identified for consideration by the
Special Issue, the authors should select "Special Issue: IoT Challenges" when
they reach the "Article Type" step in the submission process.

For further information, please contact the guest editors at comcomsi_iot at
iit.cnr.it