Subject: [Mip6] Questions on Binding Refresh Request and Binding Error

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:07:24 +0200

Hi,

Can the Binding Refresh Request and Binding Error types of messages be
sent by a Home Agent too (in addition to being sent by the CN)?

When the BRR and the BE are sent by CN (not by HA), do they have to
include a Routing Header type 2?

Alex

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:06:24 +0300

> sent by a Home Agent too (in addition to being sent by the CN)?

Binding Error messages can be sent, see:

    10.2 Processing Mobility Headers

    All IPv6 home agents MUST observe the rules described in Section 9.2
    when processing Mobility Headers.

and

    9.2 Processing Mobility Headers

    Mobility Header processing MUST observe the following rules:

    ...

    o  The MH Type field MUST have a known value (Section 6.1.1).
       Otherwise, the node MUST discard the message and issue a Binding
       Error message as described in Section 9.3.3, with Status field set
       to 2 (unrecognized MH Type value).

Binding Refresh Request is not explicitly talked about, but
there's nothing that prevents this; a HA can be a CN too.

> include a Routing Header type 2?

I think this is explicitly forbidden. See Section 6.1:

    Mobility Header messages MUST NOT be sent with a type 2 routing
    header, except as described in Section 9.5.4 for Binding
    Acknowledgement.  Mobility Header messages also MUST NOT be used with
    a Home Address destination option, except as described in Section
    11.7.1 and Section 11.7.2 for Binding Update.  Binding Update List or
    Binding Cache information (when present) for the destination MUST NOT
    be used in sending Mobility Header messages.  That is, Mobility
    Header messages bypass both the Binding Cache check described in
    Section 9.3.2 and the Binding Update List check described in Section
    11.3.1 which are normally performed for all packets.  This applies
    even to messages sent to or from a correspondent node which is itself
    a mobile node.

(Of course, if the HA sends MH messages to the mobile node,
IPsec headers are likely added.)

--Jari

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6