Subject: Re: [Mip6] RE: issue 327 #4

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:12:12 -0700 (PDT)

> I think I said if the Home Address option is present and home
> address is equal to care-of, then it means de-registration to
> the receiver irrespective of what the lifetime field is.
> 

Why do we need to have this variation in de-registration ?

For simplicity, why can't we always mandate lifetime = 0 for
de-registration ?

> if the lifetime is 0, it always means de-registration.
> 
> > 

Does the draft already allow a de-registration with lifetime non-zero ?
Having lifetime =0 for all de-registration requests with or without HAO
makes sense to me. 

Thanks,
-Samita

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Ed Remmell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:05:20 -0700

> > I think I said if the Home Address option is present and 
> home address 
> > is equal to care-of, then it means de-registration to the receiver 
> > irrespective of what the lifetime field is.
> > 
> 

Well, if a home agent or CN receives a binding update request that specifies
a non-zero lifetime but HoA = CoA, does it make sense to create such a
mobility binding where HoA = CoA? No, it does not. So, it is important to
also check that HoA != CoA before accepting a new binding update request
with a non-zero lifetime. Along the same lines, in general, any BU that has
HoA = CoA would be handled as a deregistration BU, regardless of the setting
of the lifetime field.

I'm OK if you change the draft (if it needs to be changed - I haven't
checked to see what it currently says) to state that a valid MN
deregistration BUs MUST have both lifetime=0 and HoA=CoA set in the BU (of
course, there are different variations of HoA=CoA, because of the Alternate
Care-of Address option and the Home Address Destination option).

Thanks.
- Ed

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.676 / Virus Database: 438 - Release Date: 5/3/2004