Subject: [Mip6] The revised I-D: draft-chen-mip6-gprs-02.txt

From: "CHEN, Xiaobao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:37:57 +0100

FYI. Comments are welcome.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chen-mip6-gprs-02.txt

Problem Statement for MIPv6 Interactions with GPRS/UMTS Packet Filtering 
		draft-chen-mip6-gprs-02.txt 

Abstract 
This document provides an analysis of certain inter-working problems between
IPv6 nodes running Mobile IPv at least one of which is connected to a Third
Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) specified General Packet Radio
Service/Universal Mobile Tele- communications System (GPRS/UMTS) network. The
inter-working problems are caused by some specific packet filtering
operations at the edge of the GPRS/UMTS network which are applied to control
access to the GPRS/UMTS services and network resources. However, we believe
that other scenarios may exist in which similar packet filtering operations
may be applied and that similar problems would arise in these more general
scenarios. The GPRS Gateway Support Node (GGSN) checks the source address or
the destination address in the basic IPv6 header of incoming or outgoing IP
datagrams against a set of packet filtering information established during
the GPRS/UMTS session set-up. The packet filtering information remains stable
during the sessions and independent of Mobile IP. When MIPv6 is activated by
either end of the IPv6 mobile nodes, the packet filtering will fail to
perform properly and subsequently block the traffic due to the mismatch
between the packet filters and the current source address or destination
address in the basic IPv6 header of the IP datagrams to and from the IPv6
mobile nodes. 

Xiaobao Chen

Orange PCS Ltd.

********************************************************************
Important.
Confidentiality: This communication is intended for the above-named
person and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily 
those of the company. If it has come to you in error you must 
take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; 
please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

Monitoring/Viruses.
Orange may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with 
current legislation.  Although we have taken steps to ensure that 
this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that 
in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure 
they are actually virus free.

Orange PCS Limited is a subsidiary of Orange SA and is registered 
in England No 2178917, with its address at St James Court, 
Great Park Road, Almondsbury Park, Bradley Stoke, Bristol BS32 4QJ.
********************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6