Subject: RE: [Mip6] Consensus Call: Standardizing the auth protocol [I-D:d raft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt]

From: "Mohamed Khalil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:33:08 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 5:03 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Mip6] Consensus Call: Standardizing the auth protocol
[I-D:draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt]

This is a consensus call to the WG on the issue of standardizing the
authentication-data-suboption mechanism for performing a binding between the
MN and HA. The issue has been discussed on the WG mailing list over the last
few weeks. The I-D
(draft-patil-mip6-whyauthdataoption-00.txt) has captured some of the
arguments, but there are several others that have been made on the list as
well. A summary of the discussion was sent out earlier and is captured in :
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg01690.html

The proposal here (in brief) is to standardize a mechanism specified in I-D
draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt for performing MIP6 registration with a
home agent. RFC3775 specifies the use of IPsec to secure the binding
update/ACK messages between the MN and HA. The auth-protocol mechanism
relies on the use of an authentication-data-suboption and does not require
the MN-HA to establish an IPsec SA.  
(For the discussion that has ensued so far, please refer to the MIP6 ML
archives)

The question to the WG is:

1. Should we standardize the authentication protocol specified in I-D
   draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt as an alternative (to the
   IPSec mechanism specified in RFC3775/6) means to securing the BUs
   and BAcks between the MN and HA. Note that this solution is an
   additional mechanism for doing registration with an HA and does not
   deprecate the currently specified solution. 

   Yes	     [y]
   No	     [ ]

The consensus call will close on October 12th, 2004.

-Chairs

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Kuntal Chowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:18:45 -0400

I vote YES. 

-Kuntal

>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
>Behalf Of [email-masked]
>Subject: [Mip6] Consensus Call: Standardizing the auth 
>protocol [I-D:draft-ietf-mip6-auth-protocol-00.txt]
>
>
>
>This is a consensus call to the WG on the issue of 
>standardizing the authentication-data-suboption mechanism for 
>performing a binding between the MN and HA. The issue has been 
>discussed on the WG mailing list over the last few weeks. The I-D
>(draft-patil-mip6-whyauthdataoption-00.txt) has captured some 
>of the arguments, but there are several others that have been 
>made on the list as well. A summary of the discussion was sent 
>out earlier and is captured in : 

   Yes	     [ ]
   No	     [ ]

-Chairs