Subject: [Mip6] [issue11] Editorial issues (for clarification)

From: Franck Le <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:32:31 +0000

New submission from Franck Le <[email-masked]>:

James Kempf proposed the following:

1) Add specific description of the addresses involved and established state (or 
not) in the firewall for the scenarios analyzed in sections 3.1 and 3.2 to 
clarify the problems

2) Add the complex case when an MN moves from outside a firewall to inside, 
with consideration of addresses and firewall state.

Others:

Section 3.2.2, starting about Paragraph 3: the description of why packets
forwarded between the HA and MN might get dropped is not very clear. The
problem seems to be that when a MN roams into an area of network topology
controlled by a stateful firewall, there is no state in the firewall
corresponding to (HA src addr, MN  CoA dest addr). But this is never
specifically articulated.

Section 3.2.2, Paragraph 8: This point is true for any case where a session
is initiated from outside the firewall, for example, an incoming VoIP call
started by SIP. Why is MIPv6 any different?

Section 3.2.3, Paragraph 5: This paragraph is not only true of RR packets
but also of BU packets if the MN chooses to use ESP encryption for them as
well. Consequently, it should be discussed in a separate section not
specifically devoted to RR.

Section 3.2.3, Paragraph 7: This paragraph is implying that the problem may
be due to the lack of ability to detect firewalls. IPsec can deal with NATs
because they can be detected. Why not simply come out and say this? Having
the ability to detect and negotiate with a firewall is something that the
IETF has (in my opinion) been needing for some time, and MIP only makes the
case stronger.

----------
category: Editorial
draft: draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls
messages: 44
nosy: franck
priority: Should fix
status: Pending
title: Editorial issues (for clarification)

_________________________________________________
Mip6 issue tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.mip4.org/issues/tracker/mip6/issue11>
_________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6