Subject: [Mip6] BASENETS 2004 Call For Participation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:35:52 -0600

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                        CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

       ********************************************************
       *                                                      *
       *  1st Workshop on Broadband Advanced Sensor Networks  *
       *           (co-located with BroadNets 04)             *
       *           San Jose, CA, October 25, 2004             *
       *                                                      *
       *                    BASENETS 04                       *
       *                                                      *
       ********************************************************
       *                                                      *
       *             http://www.basenets.org                  *
       *                                                      *
       ********************************************************

BaseNets 2004 Overview

The emergence and adoption of broadband wireless access standards,
such as 802.16, 802.16a and 802.11a, offers exciting new possibilities
for high-bandwidth data communication over the "last mile." A
significant use of such high bandwidth may lie in the use of a variety
of multimodal sensors for monitoring and control of diverse geographic
areas. Such sensors may be used for remote video/audio surveillance
and active monitoring of telemetry data in city blocks, highways,
airports, hotels, campuses and a variety of other indoor and outdoor
environments.

This workshop is intended for the presentation and discussion of novel
architectures, algorithms and applications of sensor networks based on
the use of wireless broadband channels. The workshop will include
sessions on different approaches to enabling broadband sensor
applications, information processing, deployment and networking for
broadband sensor networks, as well as a keynote talk by Professor
Edward Chang from U.C. Santa Barbara.  Topics will include middleware
for broadband sensor networks and pervasive environments, in-network
processing, deployment and calibration of broadband sensor networks,
routing and congestion control.

Tentative BaseNets 2004 Program

* = invited presentation

8:00 - 8:15 	Welcome Address

8:15 - 9:30 	Session 1 - Enabling Applications in Broadband Sensor Networks

1.  *Applications and Design of Heterogeneous and/or Broadband Sensor 
Networks
     Lihua Yuan, Chao Gui, Chen-Nee Chuah, and Prasant Mohapatra
     University of California, Davis

2.  Enabling Applications in Sensor-based Pervasive Environments
     Nanyan Jiang, Cristina Schmidt, Vincent Matossian and Manish Parashar
     Rutgers University

3.  Middleware Guidelines for Future Sensor Networks
     Matthew Wolenetz, Rajnish Kumar, Junsuk Shin, and Umakishore 
Ramachandran
     Georgia Institute of Technology

9:30 - 9:50 	Coffee Break

9:50 - 11:30  	Session 2 - Information Processing in Broadband Sensor 
Networks

1.  A Distributed Filtering Architecture for Multimedia Sensors
     Suman Nath1, Yan Ke1, Phillip B. Gibbons2, Brad Karp2, and 
Srinivasan Seshan1
     1 Carnegie Mellon University
     2 Intel Research

2.  Secure and Efficient In-Network Processing for Sensor Networks
     Tassos Dimitriou1 and Dimitris Foteinakis2
     1 Athens Information Technology
     2 Intracom S.A.

3.  Distributed Metric Calibration of Large Camera Networks
     Dhanya Devarajan and Richard J. Radke
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

4.  Sensor Tasking for Occupancy Reasoning in a Network of Cameras
     Danny B. Yang, Jaewon Shin, Ali Ozer Ercan, Leonidas J. Guibas
     Stanford University

11:30 - 1:30 	Lunch Break

1:30 - 2:30 	Keynote Address
     "Event Sensing on Distributed Video-Sensor Networks"
     Professor Edward Chang
     University of California, Santa Barbara

2:30 - 3:10 	Session 3 - Deployment of Broadband Sensor Networks

1.  *Low-Power Image Transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks using 
ScatterWeb Technology
     Enrico Köppe, Achim Liers, Hartmut Ritter, Jochen Schiller
     Freie Universität Berlin

2.  Deploying Long-Lived and Cost-effective Hybrid Sensor Networks
     Wen Hu1,2, Chun Tung Chou1, Sanjay Jha1,2, and Nirupama Bulusu3
     1 The University of NSW
     2 National ICT Australia Limited
     3 Oregon Health and Sciences University

3:10 - 3:40 	Coffee Break

3:40 - 5:00  	Session 4 - Networking Broadband Sensors

1.  *Lifetime-Optimal Data Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks Without 
Flow Splitting
     Y. Thomas1, Hou_ Yi Shi1, Jianping Pan2, and Scott F. Midkiff1
     1 Virginia Tech	
     2 University of Waterloo

2.  Adaptive Resource Control Scheme to Alleviate Congestion in Sensor 
Networks
     Jaewon Kang, Badri Nath, Yanyong Zhang, and Shengchao Yu
     Rutgers University

3.  Energy-Efficient Clustering Method for Data Gathering in Sensor Networks
     Junpei Kamimura, Naoki Wakamiya, and Masayuki Murata
     Osaka University

                 Please join us in San Jose for Basenets 2004!

Workshop Chairs:
W. Heinzelman (U. of Rochester)
B. Krishnamachari (U. of Southern California)

Program Committee:
N. Abu-Ghazaleh (Binghamton U.)
J. Apostolopoulos (HP Labs)
A. Bestavros (Boston U.)
A. Campbell (Columbia U.)
M. El Zarki (U. of California at Irvine)
W.-C. Feng (OGI)
S. Gupta (Arizona State U.)
R. Han (U. of Colorado at Boulder)
A. Helmy (U. of Southern California)
S. Jha (U. of New South Wales)
H. Karl (University Paderborn)
M. Liu (U. of Michigan)
B. Nath (Rutgers U.)
M. Papadopouli (U. of North Carolina)
A. Safwat (Queens U.)
I. Stojmenovic (U. of Ottawa)
U. Tureli (Stevens U.)
M. van der Schaar (U. of California at Davis)
P. Varshney (Syracuse U.)

Publicity Chairs:
R. Han (U. of Colorado at Boulder)
H. Karl (Technical University Berlin)

For more details, please visit http://www.basenets.org
or contact [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
basenets04-cfp mailing list
[email-masked]
http://cs-lists.cs.colorado.edu/mailman/listinfo/basenets04-cfp

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6