Subject: [Mip6] RE: A New BoF [16ng BoF: IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:47:42 +0300

General question - I know that the WiMax forum is working on more things
than just IP over 802-16e (etc.).  You mention, for example, AAA, in the
description.  Are you looking at more than just running IP over 802.16e
or something more?

John 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
>Behalf Of ext Soohong Daniel Park
>Sent: 27 September, 2005 02:09
>To: IPv6 WG; IPv6-Ops Area; Int-area ML; IETF ML; MIPSHOP WG; MIP6 WG
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: A New BoF [16ng BoF: IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks]
>
>Folks,
>
>We would like to announce a BoF at the upcoming IETF, leading 
>to identify what limitations and considerations apply to IPv6 
>adoption over IEEE 802.16(e), and to propose available 
>solutions. A mailing list is set up at 
>[email-masked] and a proposed description is below.
>
>==========================================
>
>IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks BoF (16ng)
>
>
>CHAIRS:
>
>Soohong Daniel Park<[email-masked]> Gabriel 
>Montenegro<[email-masked]>
>
>
>DESCRIPTION:
>
>Broadband Wireless Access Network addresses the inadequacies 
>of low bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements 
>such as high quality data/voice service, fast mobility, wide 
>coverage, etc. The IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband 
>Wireless Access Standards develops standards and recommended 
>practices to support the development and deployment of 
>broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks. In addition, 
>IEEE 802.16e supports mobility over IEEE 802.16 as an 
>amendment to the IEEE 802.16 specification. 
>
>Recently, much work is in progress by the WiMAX Forum. In 
>particular, its NWG (Network Working Group) is responsible for 
>the IEEE 802.16(e) network architecture (e.g., IPv4, IPv6, 
>Mobility, Interworking with different networks, AAA, etc). The 
>NWG is thus taking on work at layers above those defined by 
>the IEEE 802 standards (typically limited to the physical and 
>link layers only). Similarly, WiBro (Wireless Broadband) is a 
>Korean effort based on the IEEE 802.16e specification which 
>focuses on the 2.3 GHz spectrum band.
>
>IEEE 802.16(e) is different from existing wireless access 
>technologies such as  IEEE 802.11 or 3G. Accordingly, the use 
>of IP over an IEEE 802.16(e) link is currently undefined, and 
>will benefit from IETF input and specification. For example, 
>even though Neighbor Discovery has been specified to work over 
>point-to-point type links (e.g., as available in 3G), it 
>applies most naturally to link technologies capable of native 
>multicasing. Thus, it is not yet clear how it would work over 
>IEEE 802.16(e) networks. Even though these supports a PMP 
>(Point-to-Multipoint) mode, there is no provision for 
>multicasting IP packets, hindering the basic standard IPv6 
>operation. An IEEE 802.16(e) connection for IP packet transfer 
>is a point-to-point unidirectional mapping between medium 
>access control layers at the ubscriber station and the base 
>station. This eventually requires convergence protocols to 
>emulate the desired service on network entities such as base 
>stations, which may limit IPv6 features. As for fast mobility, 
>the characteristics of IEEE 802.16e link-layer operation may 
>require an amendment to the Fast Handover Mobile IPv6 scheme 
>(RFC 4068), something which may be pursued in the MIPSHOP WG.
>
>The principal objective of the 16ng BoF is to identify what 
>limitations and considerations apply to IPv6 adoption over 
>IEEE 802.16(e), and to propose available solutions. The 
>working group may issue recommendations to IEEE 802.16(e) 
>suggesting protocol modifications for better IP support. 
>
>In 2006, WiBro deployment will begin, and the WiMAX Forum is 
>slated to specify IPv6 operation over IEEE 802.16(e) in 2006. 
>Accordingly, the working group will work and coordinate with 
>the WiMAX Forum and with the WiBro efforts.
>
> 
>MAILING LIST: 
>
>General Discussion: [email-masked] To Subscribe: 
>http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng
>Archive: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/pipermail/16ng 
>
>
>REFERENCES:
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jang-mipshop-fh80216e-00.txt
>http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-jin-ipv6-over-ieee802.
>16-00.txt
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jee-mip4-fh80216e-00.txt 
>IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks Problem Statements (coming soon) 
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Gabriel & Daniel 
>16ng BoF co-chairs
>

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: 장희진 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:54:20 +0900

The first goal might be to run IPv6 basic operation over 802.16/(e).
Additionally, based on that, the interaction betwwen 802.16e and IPv6 for the seamless IPv6 mobility could fall in the scope as written in the charter. :)

-from a part of the charter -
As for fast mobility, the characteristics of IEEE 802.16e link-layer operation may require an amendment to the Fast Handover Mobile IPv6 scheme (RFC 4068), something which may be pursued in the MIPSHOP WG.

----- Original Message ----- 

John