Subject: [Mip6] Integrated scenario in draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-03

From: Gerardo Giaretta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:47:58 +0200

The definition of the integrated scenario in
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-03 is misleading. This depends on the
change of terminology we have done from version 02. 
In integrated scenario, the entity that authenticates and authorizes the
user for network access is the same entity that authenticates and
authorizes the user for mobility service. Based on section 3, this
implies that MSA==ASA. The description in section 7.2 and the Figure 1
must be corrected. 

Old text:
"
7.2  Integrated ASP network scenario

   In this scenario, the ASP and MSP are the same ASP.
"

Proposed text:
"
7.2  Integrated ASP network scenario

   In this scenario, the ASA and MSA are the same entity.
"

Old Figure:

                        +----------------------------+
                        | IASP(ASP+MSP)              |
           +----+    +-----+         +----+          |
           | MN |--- | NAS |         | HA |          |
           +----+    +-----+         +----+          |
                        | \            \             |
                        |  \ +------+   \ +-------+  |
                        |   -|AAA-NA|    -|AAA-MIP|  |
                        |    +------+     +-------+  |
                        +----------------------------+

New Figure:

                        +----------------------------+
                        | IASP(ASA+MSA)              |
           +----+    +-----+         +----+          |
           | MN |--- | NAS |         | HA |          |
           +----+    +-----+         +----+          |
                        | \            \             |
                        |  \ +------+   \ +-------+  |
                        |   -|AAA-NA|    -|AAA-MIP|  |
                        |    +------+     +-------+  |
                        +----------------------------+

More generally, I think terminology should be improved in
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrap-ps-03. There are several terms with quite
similar meanings: MSP, serving MSP, home MSP, MSA. In my view we could
keep it very simple using the terms MSP and MSA (and similarly ASP and
ASA): the MSP is the entity that provides the Home Agent, the MSA is the
entity that authenticates and authorizes the user for mobility service. 
For example, in Figure 2 I would suggest to have "MSA" in the box on the
right instead of "home MSP".

--Gerardo

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6