Subject: [Mip6] Protocol Action: 'Mobile Node Identifier Option for MIPv6' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:01:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mobile Node Identifier Option for MIPv6 '
   <draft-ietf-mip6-mn-ident-option-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-mn-ident-option-03.txt

Technical Summary

   Mobile IPv6 defines a new Mobility header that is used by mobile
   nodes, correspondent nodes, and home agents in all messaging related
   to the creation and management of bindings.  Mobile IPv6 nodes need
   the capability to identify themselves using an identity other than
   the default home IP address.  Some examples of identifiers include
   NAI, FQDN, IMSI, MSISDN, etc.  This document defines a new mobility
   option that can be used by Mobile IP6 entities to identify themselves
   in messages containing a mobility header.

Working Group Summary

   The working group has discussed the need for such an identifier at
   several WG meetings as well as on the mailing list. The need for
   alternate identifiers such as NAI, IMSI etc. arises from the
   deployment needs of Mobile IPv6 by 3GPP2. 3GPP2 specification
   835-Rev D is currently being worked on and this feature has been
   identified as a necessity for incorporating Mobile IPv6 in the
   standard. WG LC has been completed. No major issues were identified
   during the last call process. 

Protocol Quality

   No known implementations of the protocol exist at this
   time. However there exist plans to implement this protocol since it
   is required for deployment in 3GPP2 based networks. Revision D of
   TIA 835 specifies the need for such an identifier to be included in
   the mobility header of the registration messages.

   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.
   
RFC Editor Note
 
Dear RFC Editor,

Please create an "Informative References" section and move the following
reference to that section (from the Normative References section):

   [auth_id]  Patel et. al., A., "Authentication Protocol for Mobile
              IPv6", draft-ietf-mip6-mn-ident-option-04.txt (work in
              progress), February 2005.

Thanks,
Margaret

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6