Subject: [Mip6] Document Action: 'Mobile IPv6 and Firewalls: Problem statement' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:00:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mobile IPv6 and Firewalls: Problem statement '
   <draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-04.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Mark Townsley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-firewalls-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Network elements such as firewalls are an integral aspect of a
   majority of IP networks today, given the state of security in the
   Internet, threats, and vulnerabilities to data networks.  Current IP
   networks are predominantly based on IPv4 technology and hence
   firewalls have been designed for these networks.  Deployment of IPv6
   networks is currently progressing, albeit at a slower pace.
   Firewalls for IPv6 networks are still maturing and in development.

   Mobility support for IPv6 has been standardized as specified in RFC
   3775.  Given the fact that Mobile IPv6 is a recent standard, most
   firewalls available for IPv6 networks do not support Mobile IPv6.

   Unless firewalls are aware of Mobile IPv6 protocol details, these
   security devices will interfere in the smooth operation of the
   protocol and can be a detriment to deployment.  This document
   captures the issues that may arise in the deployment of IPv6 networks
   when they support Mobile IPv6 and firewalls.

   The issues are not only applicable to firewalls protecting enterprise
   networks, but are also applicable in 3G mobile networks such as GPRS/
   UMTS and CDMA 2000 networks.

   The goal of this Internet draft is to highlight the issues with
   firewalls and Mobile IPv6 and act as an enabler for further
   discussion.  Issues identified here can be solved by developing
   appropriate solutions in the MIP6 WG.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document was produced by the MIP6 WG.  The WG has consensus 
   to publish this document as an informational RFC.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.  It
was Also reviewed by Steve Bellovin and Henrik Levkowetz during the
AD Review period.

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6