Subject: [Mip6] MN's address as seen by HA is not its CoA but NAT's address (when NAT)

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:59:18 +0200

I am not sure whether this has already been raised or whether it's a
terminology comprehension issue on my side.

I assume that when MN connects to a v4 access network behind a NAT its
10.x.x.x address is its "v4 CoA" and the publicly routable address used
by NAT after translation is not MN's "CoA".  Maybe another term for this
latter address could be useful.

Thus, section 2.3.2.1 "Visited network supports IPv4 only (private
addresses" wrongly states that
> Hence, all packets addressed to the mobile node's home address(es) 
> (IPv4 or IPv6) will be encapsulated in UDP then encapsulated in an 
> IPv4 header that includes the home agent's IPv4 address in the source
>  address field and the mobile node's IPv4 care- of address in the 
> destination address field.    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The destination address of the IPv4 UDP header should be that NAT's
public address (and not MN's v4 CoA).  Moreover, and of utmost
importance, the UDP dst port number of the packet sent by the HA to MN
should be exactly the src port number of the UDPv4 packets received from
NAT (translated by it from MN's CoA).

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6