Subject: [Mip6] CFP: SPAC 07 - Software Patterns: Addressing Challenges

From: "eduardo segura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:17:07 -0800

My apologies for duplicates

   The First IEEE International Workshop on
 Software Patterns: Addressing Challenges

 SPAC 2007
 Call for Papers

 Beijing, China, July 24-27, 2007
 (in conjunction with COMPSAC 2007)

http://conferences.computer.org/compsac/2007/  (COMPSAC 2007 Link)

http://conferences.computer.org/compsac/2007/workshops/SPAC  (Workshop Link-1)

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/~fayad/workshops/COMPSAC07  (Workshop Link-2)
 http://www.vrlsoft.com/workshops/SPAC07 (WorkshopLink-3)

THEME OF THE WORKSHOP

As software increases in size and becomes more complex and costly, the
need for techniques to ease software development is likewise
increasing. Over the last decade, pattern community has evolved and
received more interest in both academia and industry. Developing
software using patterns holds the promise to reduce the cost and
condensing the time of developing software systems, while
simultaneously maintaining the quality of these systems.

 However, the potential of using patterns in developing systems is not
fully realized and we need to address many challenges. For example,
developing pattern repositories and catalogs, from which patterns can
be retrieved and reused, still forms a challenge to software
engineering, knowledge engineering and information systems
communities. In addition, the need for (semi-) automated approaches
for patterns mining and integration poses several open research
questions to the software engineering community.  Many think these
challenges and others preclude the realization of the benefit of
patterns as a reuse approach.  This workshop aims at bringing together
researchers and practitioners who are interested in resolving research
challenges or who have practical experience with the different issues
of patterns reuse and integration to discuss and advance the
state-of-the-art and the state-of-the-practice in patterns reuse.

Patterns have emerged as a promising reuse technique for both
improving the quality and reducing the cost and time of software
development. However, there is an immense belief that patterns have
not fulfilled the expectations software developers wanted.
Nevertheless, this belief does not rebuff the fact that patterns, as a
concept, have the potential to play a key role in developing systems
in the near future.  This near future will never come unless there are
serious attempts from both developers and researchers to investigate
and provide creative solutions to current challenges that hinder
utilizing patterns in practice. Among these challenges, this workshop
focuses on investigating how to develop systems using patterns. We are
sure that this topic will attract many developers and researchers in
the field to participate in this workshop.

WORKSHOP CHALLENGES

The workshop will address software patterns challenges and debate
several issues related to the following questions.  We want
researchers, framework developers, and application developers to
discuss and debate the following questions related to:

I.                           Pattern Creation and Development

a.               Leaving experience claim on the side, can you show
how to create and develop patterns?

b.               What are the bases of creating patterns?

c.               Are there guidelines, methodologies, and/or processes
for pattern creations and developments?

d.               Would you show an example or two?

II.                        Patterns Selection Process:

a.               How does one select analysis and design patterns to
build any system?

b.               What is the basis for selecting these patterns?

c.               If someone would like to build a system from
patterns, how does she select patterns?

d.              What kind of patterns should one select to build a
system from patterns?

e.               Is there a guideline for the selection process?

III.                     Patterns Composition

a.               How does one integrate the selected patterns to build
any system? or How does one compose any system from patterns?

b.               What are the various claims related to patterns
composition? Are they true?

c.               Are there guidelines or techniques for patterns
composition? Would you illustrate how to use them?

IV.                      System of Patterns and General Reuse

a.               What do we mean when we say "systems of patterns"?

b.               Are the various claims related to building any system
from patterns reasonable?

c.               How to develop pattern repositories and catalogs,
from which patterns can be retrieved and reused?

d.               Are there automated approaches for patterns mining
and integration?

e.               What other concepts will help build any system from patterns?

.

V.                         Impacts

a.               What is the impact of software stability on the above issues?

Check any of the following websites for all columns and accepted
position papers:

http://conferences.computer.org/compsac/2007/workshops/SPAC  (Main Link)

www.engr.sjsu.edu/~fayad//workshops/COMPSAC07  (Workshop Link 2)

www.vrlsoft.com/workshops/SPAC07 (Workshop Link 3 -- Under Construction)

PAPER FORMAT AND SUBMISSIONS

Detailed instructions for electronic paper submission and review
process can be found at http://www.compsac.org/. People interested in
participating in the workshop are requested to submit a short position
paper (3-5 pages) or regular workshop paper (limited to 6 pages,
double spaced, including figures) representing views and experiences
relevant to the discussion topic. The title page should include a
maximum 150-word abstract, five keywords, full mailing address, e-mail
address, phone number, fax number, and a designated contact author.
Papers will be selected depending on the originality, quality and
relevance to the workshop.  All submitted papers will be evaluated
according to its originality, significance, correctness, presentation
and relevance. Papers should be submitted electronically at:

 http://compsac.cs.iastate.edu/2007/SPAC/ . Please follow the
instructions given by the web page. Camera Ready manuscripts must be
submitted following IEEE conference proceedings style and guidelines.
We encourage authors to present novel ideas, critique of existing
work, and practical studies.

Each accepted paper must be presented in person by the author or one
of the authors.  To foster lively discussions, each author is
encouraged to present open questions and one or two main statements
that will be discussed at the workshop.  Submissions must be either
MS-Word or RTF formats (please, DO NOT compress files).

Depending on the number and spread of contributions, the scope may be
narrowed to ensure effective communication and information sharing.
Accepted position papers will be distributed to the participants
before the workshop and made generally available through the WWW and
FTP.   Accepted papers will be published in the Workshop Proceedings
of the 31st IEEE Computer Software and Applications Conference
(COMPSAC 2007). At least one of the authors of each accepted paper
must register as a full participant in the workshop to have the paper
published in the COMPSAC 2007 Proceedings. The workshop selected best
papers will be published in online Journal of International Journal Of
Patterns (IJOP) – www.ijop.org

WORKSHOP PARTICIPATION

Interested in participating in the workshop without submission are
requested to fill out the participation form and e-mail to the
co-chair Haitham Hamza <[email-masked]>, Eduardo Segura
<[email-masked]>, or to the workshop chair M.E. Fayad
<[email-masked]>.

-------------------------------------------------

PARTICIPATION FORM:

Name and Affiliation:

Position:

Address:

E-mail:

URL:

Areas of interest:

Why would you like to participate?

-------------------------------------------------

Please note that registration is required in order to participate in
the workshop.  An early registration discount is available.  An
overhead projector and a flipchart will be available.

For more information please visit any of the following websites:

http://conferences.computer.org/compsac/2007/workshops/SPAC  (Main Link)

www.engr.sjsu.edu/~fayad//workshops/COMPSAC07  (Workshop Link 2)

www.vrlsoft.com/workshops/SPAC07 (Workshop Link 3 -- Under Construction)

You may also contact the organizers.

PROPOSED AGENDA

1. Welcome and introduction of participants. The organizers will first
give a short overview of any open issues and of the main arguments
arising out of the position papers. (Estimated time: 20-30 minutes)

2. Selected authors (representing the main trends) will be given  20
minutes to explain how their position relates to other positions and
what each sees as the three major issues. We expect about 5-10
position papers.  (Estimated time: 120-130 minutes)

3. The organizers will propose an identification of the major issues,
and the participants will then discuss and select what they  think are
the hottest issues to be examined. (Estimated time: 10-15 minutes)

4. The participants will work for 70-95 minutes in small groups, with
a designated moderator in each group. The groups will each deal with
two different hot issues identified and will produce a summary in the
form of points and counterpoints, showing either how several views are
irreducibly opposed or how they are complementary.

The number of groups will depend on the number of participants and
number of issues selected; ideally there should be 3-5 p people in
each group. (Estimated time: 60-70 minutes)

5. Each group will be given 10-15 minutes to present its findings to
the workshop.   A closing discussion will follow. The workshop report
will be written on the basis of these findings and will include an
agenda for future exploration and cooperation; it will

be made available through the WWW and FTP. (Estimated time: 50-60
minutes for five teams)

(Total estimated time: 285-315 minutes, i.e. about five hours +/- 15
minutes; lunch and breaks are not included.)

IMPORTANT DATES

We will be updated based on acceptance process

Feb.  23, 2007: Full paper and short paper due
 Mar. 25, 2007: Decision notification (electronic)
 Apr. 30, 2007: Camera-ready copy and author registration due

July 24-27, 2007: The workshop Date

ORGANIZERS

Chair and Point of Contact:

Dr. M.E. Fayad

Professor of Computer Engineering

Computer Engineering Dept., College of Engineering

San José  State University

One Washington   Square, San José, CA 95192-0180

Ph: (408) 924-7364, Fax: (408) 924-4153

E-mail: [email-masked], me       [email-masked]

http://www.engr.sjsu.edu/fayad

Co-Chairs:
Dr. H.S. Hamza (Co-Chair)

Faculty of Computers and Informatics,

Information Technology Department

Cairo University, Orman, Giza 12613 - Egypt

Ph: (02) 335-8355 (office)

E-mail: [email-masked]

Eduardo M. Segura

vrlSoft, Inc.

2065 Martin Ave., Suite 103

Santa Clara, CA 95050-2707

Phone/Fax: (408) 654-8972

E-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]

http://www.vrlsoft.com

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Leonor Barroca                      Open University, England

Sjaak Brinkkemper                Utrecht University, the Netherlands

Chia-Chu Chiang                    University of Arkansas at Little Rock, USA

Rogerio Atem de Carvalho    CEFET Campos,  Brazil

Andrea D'Ambrogio               University of Roma TorVergata, Italy

Issam Wajih Damaj                 Dhofar University, Salalah -
Sultanate of Oman

Khalil DRIRA                         LAAS-CNRS, France

Islam A. M. El-Maddah          Ain Shams University, Egypt

M.E. Fayad                             San Jose State University &
vrlSoft, Inc., USA

Joao M. Fernandes                Universidade do Minho, Portugal

IanGraham                               Trireme International Ltd,
London, England

Jiang Guo                                California State University
Los Angeles, USA

Wilhelm Hasselbring               University of Oldenburg, Germany

Tarek Helmy                          King Fahd Univ. of Petroleum and
Minerals, Saudi Arabia

H.S. Hamza                             Cairo University, Egypt  Pilar
Herrero                          Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
, Spain.

Hoda Hosny                            American University in Cairo, Egypt

Pao-Ann Hsiung                     National Chung Cheng University,
Chiayi, TAIWAN

Ali Jaoua                                              University of
Qatar, Qatar

Mohamed-Khireddine KHOLLADI   University of Constantine, France

Dae-Kyoo Kim                        Oakland University, MI,  USA

Seok-Won Lee                        The University of North Carolina
at Charlotte, USA

Jeff Lei                                    University of  Texas at
Arlington, USA

Ricardo J. Machado               Universidade do Minho,  Portugal

Ahmed Mahdy                        Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, USA

Michael Oudshoorn                 Montana   State University, MT, USA

Srini Ramaswamy                    University of Arkansas at Little Rock, USA

Gustavo Rossi                        LIFIA, Facultad de Informatica,
UNLP, Argentina

Stuart Rubin                            SPAWAR, SSC-San Diego, USA

Kannamma Sampath               Coimbatore Institute of Technology, India

Sanchez, Arturo                      University of North Florida,  USA

Kassem A. Saleh                    American University of Sharjah, UAE

Arno Schmidmeier                               AspectSoft, Hersbruck, Germany

E.M. Segura                            San Jose State University &
vrlSoft, Inc., USA

Manolis Tzagarakis                 Research Academic Technology
Institute (RACTI), Greece

Laurence T. Yang                    St Francis Xavier University, Canada

I-Ling Yen                               University of Texas at Dallas, USA

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6