Subject: [Mip6] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IPv6 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Option for Home Information Discovery in MIPv6
	Author(s)	: H. Jang, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2007-2-16
	
This draft defines a DHCP-based scheme to enable dynamic discovery of
   Mobile IPv6 home agent address, home address, and home subnet.  New
   DHCP options are defined to carry the information from a DHCP server
   to the DHCP client running on the mobile node.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: "Miguel A. Diaz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:58:13 +0100

Hello,
		
I've been reading the new version of hiopt (draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02) and I
would like to post a couple of comments.

1) Home Network Identifier Option. The Home Network Identifier seems to me a
bit ambiguous when the id-type field is set to 0 [Visited domain (local
ASP)]. In section 3.1 it's stated:

"Id-type 0 indicates the mobile node is interested in learning the
home network information that pertains to the currently visited
network.  This type can be used to discover local home agents in the
local ASP.  The Home Network Identifier field can be set to 0 or the
target home MSP.  In case the DHCP server is not configured with the
local home information, the home information for the specified home
MSP is provided."

I think that if the Id-type is 0, the Home Network Identifier SHOULD/MUST be
always 0 because the MN is willing to get
information about the visited domain. It seems to me that setting both
id-type to zero and the Home Network Identifier to the target home MSP have
no sense. 

If MN wants to retrieve both home and visited network information, then it
must be set two sub-options within the OPTION_MIP6-HNID option. The first
one would have the id-type set to 0 and the Home Network Identifier field
set to 0 also. The second one would have the id-type set to 1 and the Home
Network Identifier field set to the home FQDN.

Even if the MN has no preference, it should set the id-type to 2, according
to section 3.1 of draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-02.

2) Relay Agent Behavior. In section 4.2, it is stated:

"The DHCP relay agent MUST insert MN-NAI option [8] in the
Relay-Forward message in order to indicate the home netowrk
of the user to the DHCP server."

Is that really needed always? When the MN only wants information about the
visited network (id-type set to 0 in OPTION_MIP6-HNID option), why the
MN-NAI must be inserted into the Relay-Forward message? I think that there
is no reasons to do that because:

A) When the OPTION_MIP6-RELAY is sent, the DHCPv6 server will provide home
network information based on such information
B) If MN requires information about its home network, it provides its home
network realm by using the OPTION_MIP6-HNID option
C) MN's identity should not be required by the DHCPv6 server but by the
ASA/MSA in order to authorize the mobility service to the MN

Regards
Miguel

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.