Subject: [Mip6] Summary and conclusion of DS-MIP6 Issue 73

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:39:52 -0500

Now to summarize the discussion and conclusion on Issue 73:

The following emails provide a good summary of issue and the arguments
that have been made for the use of alt-COA option vs the mapped-v4
address as the HoA in DSMIP6.

1. http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05796.html
2. http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mip6/current/msg05804.html

I have also reviewed the discussion which occurred in February, 07 on this
issue and taken that into account as well.

The choice of whether to use a v4-mapped address as the HoA or to use
the IPv6 HoA and indicate the v4 address in a new alt-CoA option in
the BU has boiled down to a few main criteria:
a. v4 mapped addresses are discarded in the Kame
   implementation. However it is not known if the same applies to
   other OS'. No one has come forth to make an explicit statement one
   way or another.
b. The impact to the MIP6 code base is lower by using a v4 mapped
   address as the HoA instead of having to parse and process a new
   alt-COA option (which would be new code)
c. Cleaner approach and no ambiguity (i.e overloading the HoA) by
   using the alt-COA option.

Consensus (if you call it that), by a very slim margin at least, is to
define a new alt-COA option for carrying the IPv4 address.

So we are going to close this issue and make the necessary change in
the I-D. 

IMO (without chair hat), I think that while both options are feasible,
I have some concerns about using a mapped-v4 address (based on the
comments by the Kame folks). To support DS-MIP6, code base for the HA
and MN will change and hence I do not see this being a significant
cause for concern. 

-Raj

Just as an FYI, these are some of the people who expressed their
opinions on this issue:

Alt-CoA : Vijay, Henrik, Koshiro, Keiichi, Alex

Mapped-v4: Conny, Hesham, Pascal, Wasim

_______________________________________________
Mip6 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mip6

---

From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:15:19 -0700

Raj,

Thanks for closing this issue.

Vijay