Subject: [Mipshop] LLA in FBUs

From: Emil Ivov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:30:26 +0200

Hello all,

Section 6.2.1 - HI msg fmt (page 23) 
draft-ietf-mipshop-fast-mipv6-03.txt says

	The link-layer address of the MN that is
         undergoing handover to the destination (i.e., NAR).
         This option MUST be included so that the destination
         can recognize the MN.

The thing is that when sending a HI the PAR is not necessarily aware of 
MN's address.

Ideally (at least according to us here ) a PAR would learn an MN's L2 
addr from the FBU. Yet Section 6.3.1. does not mention anything about 
including an MH LLA Option. Without such an option we could try and 
extract the L2 addr from FBUs L2 packet (which is a bit dirty - 
implementation wise) but this would only work for predictive handovers 
and there will be no way to do it with an FBU coming from the NAR.

Another way to get MN's L2 addr would be to use the one that arrived 
with the RtSolPr and was recorded in the neighbor cache. Yet there is no 
guarantee that it will still be there, not to mention the fact that it 
might have not been in the RtSolPr in the first place.

So in other words - wouldn't it be better if we had a MUST MH LLA option 
for FBUs?

Cheers
Emil

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop