Subject: [Mipshop] FMIPv6 - what is "assigned addressing" and "assigned address configuration"?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 23:01:21 +0200

This is about terminology, please excuse if I miss specific terms, or
prior discussion.

The document defines "assigned addressing" as "i.e. addresses are
assigned by the router".

It seems to imply that NAR will "assign" NCoA to MN and MN subsequently
uses NCoA when attached to NAR.

> [NAR] allocates NCoA for the MN when assigned addressing is used, 
> creates a proxy neighbor cache entry, and begins defending it.

> In any case, NAR MUST respond to HI using a HAck, in which it may 
> include another NCoA to use, especially when assigned address 
> configuration is used.

Etc.

In stateless autoconfiguration the address is not assigned by the
router.  It's derived by the host by using info from the received RA.
In DHCPv6 the address is given by DHCP messages, from a Server and
eventually via a DHCP Relay.

Or do I have an English problem here...

Alex

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop