Subject: [Mipshop] WG Action: RECHARTER: MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:50:02 -0400

The charter of the MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)
working group in the Internet Area of the IETF has been updated. 
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the working group Chairs.

+++

MIPv6 Signaling and Handoff Optimization (mipshop)
--------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Stefano Faccin <[email-masked]> 
Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> 

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mipshop/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Mobile IPv6 enables IPv6 mobile nodes to continue using a given "home
address" in spite of changes in its point of attachment to the
network. These changes may cause delay, packet loss, and also
represent overhead traffic on the network. Previously the MIPSHOP WG
worked on two technologies to address these issues. Hierarchical
Mobile IPv6 (HMIPv6, RFC 4140) reduces the amount and latency of
signaling between a MN, its Home Agent and one or more correspondent
nodes. Fast Handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6, RFC 4068) reduces
packet loss by providing fast IP connectivity as soon as the mobile
node establishes a new point of attachment at a new link.

As part of its previous set of work items, MIPSHOP published these two
protocols as experimental RFCs. Further implementation work by the
community has increased the understanding of how FMIPv6 behaves or
should behave on other link layers, and in general. Similarly, further
implementation and experimentation with HMIPv6 has resulted in better
understanding of the protocol. Accordingly, MIPSHOP will continue work
on HMIPv6 and FMIPv6 and the necessary extensions in order to publish
them as proposed standards.

Additionally, the IEEE 802.21 Media Independent Handoff (MIH) working
group aims at providing services to assist with handoffs between
heterogeneous link-layer technologies, and across IP subnet
boundaries. The information exchanges defined by IEEE 802.21 are
classified as MI (Media Independent) Event Service (MIES), MI Command
Service (MICS), and MI Information Service (MIIS). The MIIS provides
topological and location-related information of service networks. The
MIES provides timely communications of wireless environment
information via the delivery of events originating across the
link-layer or farther away. The MICS is an analogous service for
commands which can change the state of the wireless link or of a
host's point of attachment, potentially triggering further event
generation. MIH services can be delivered through link-layer specific
solutions and/or through a "layer 3 or above" protocol. MIPSHOP will
define the delivery of information for MIH services for this latter
case. Notice that this allows the network information to reside
anywhere (not necessarily across the link-layer hop), and enables MIH
services even in the absence of the corresponding link-layer support.
An L3 based mechanism to identify a valid information server is also
required. A liaison with IEEE 802.21 has been established, and access
to the IEEE 802.21 drafts is granted to mipshop members. Interested
members need to send a request to the WG chairs in order to obtain a
copy of the current IEEE 802.21 draft.

The MOBOPTS Research Group in the IRTF is chartered to work on
optimizations related to Mobile IPv6 and IP handoffs among other
things. The MIPSHOP WG will take mature proposals from the MOBOPTS
group and standardize them in the IETF on a case-by-case basis. One
such proposal on improving the Mobile IPv6 Return Routability
procedure by reducing the round trip times required to complete the
procedure, and increasing the length of time before the procedure
needs to be run again, has already been taken up the MIPSHOP WG and
stadardized.

Scope of MIPSHOP:

The working group will:

1. Revise the specification of HMIPv6 (RFC 4140) protocol to advance
it to Proposed Standard. This implies:

* Define the use of IKEv2 for MN-MAP security
* Streamline and refine the current HMIPv6 specification.
Document: draft-ietf-mipshop-4140bis

2. Revise the specification of FMIPv6 protocol (RFC 4068) to advance
it to Proposed Standard.

* Work on mobile node - access router security using both the AAA
infrastructure, and keys derived from SeND
Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-keys-aaa,
draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key
* Streamline and refine the current FMIPv6 specification
Document: draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis

3. Work on the application of FMIPv6 on two examples link-layers for
advancement as Informational RFCs:

* IEEE 802.16e (and WiMax)
* 3G CDMA 2K networks
Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e, draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh

4. Work on areas of mutual interest to IEEE 802.21 and MIPSHOP:

* Complete the problem statement, and a specification on transport
of IEEE 802.21 services over IP.
Documents: draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps (Problem Satement),
draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support (transport of 802.21
services over IP, including security aspects)

5. Standardize mature proposals from MOBOPTS Research Group.
Adoption of specific proposals requires rechartering.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-hmip
Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-lmm-requirements
Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6
Done Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-lmm-requirements to IESG for
publication as Informational
Done Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6 to IESG for consideration
of publication as Experimental
Done Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-hmip to IESG for consideration
of publication as Experimental
Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-80211fh for
Informational
Done Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-80211fh to IESG for
consideration of publication as Informational
Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba
Done Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-cga-cba to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard
Done Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps
Jun 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis
Jun 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send
Jun 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mis-ps to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC
Jul 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc4041bis
Aug 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh
Aug 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e
Aug 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fmipv6-rfc4068bis to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
Aug 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-handover-key-send to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard
Sep 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-3gfh to IESG for publication as
Informational RFC
Oct 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-4140bis to IESG for publication as
Proposed Standard
Oct 2007 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-fh80216e to IESG for publication
as Informational RFC
Nov 2007 Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support
Jan 2008 Submit draft-ietf-mipshop-mih-support to IESG for
publication as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
Mipshop mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mipshop