Subject: [MLS] Closing some issues

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:31:30 -0400

Hey all,

Benjamin, Raphael, and I met today to try to triage the MLS protocol issue
list, as a step toward burning it down and getting to WGLC.  Our main
result was to agree to close a bunch of issues :)  I’ve summarized our
thinking below.  If you disagree, please object on this list in the next
couple of days; I’ll probably review feedback and start closing things on
Friday.

In a similar vein, if you have issues you think need to be addressed, get
'em filed, because the WGLC is building steam!

Thanks,
—Richard

#91 User-Initiated Add
#271 Create and send to sub-groups
#301 Targeted message
This has only been partially solved, by the feature that allows new joiners
to propose that they be added.  The missing part is a “send to group from
outside” function.  With that, you would have a full, “add yourself to
group” user experience; as it is, you have to be admitted by someone in the
group.  But we thought that “send to group from outside” was a separate
enough piece of work that it could be handled as an add-on spec to the base
protocol.  Likewise for subgroups / targeted messaging.

#118 Discuss DH cofactor issues and Update DH and Elliptic Curve parameters
text.
This is an issue for HPKE, not for MLS.

#222 Performance measurements
We tried and failed.

#264 Fix inconsistent definitions of Derive-Secret
Duplicate of #324

#270 Expiration on "last resort key" must not be omitted
This has been fixed, since the lifetime extension is mandatory.

#289 Make Editor's Copy and WG draft compare work properly build
Katriel has until EOW to fix this, then we’re closing the issue and giving
up.

#298 Varints
As discussed on the last call, this isn’t enough of a benefit to worry
about.   Richard might file a PR to uniformize lengths.

#299 Allow indirection of credentials
This can be done with a new credential type, doesn’t need to be in the base
spec.

#346 Ratcheting of External PSKs
This is not the job of the base protocol.  TLS, for example, has done just
fine having PSK considerations in follow-on documents.