Subject: [MMUSIC] Query regarding a=type: attribute

From: Prashant Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 20:09:47 -0400

Hi,

From draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new-06 pg 26, a=type:moderated attribute
should start the media tools in a "mute" mode. Does this imply that the
a=inactive attribute is implied by the above for each of the media
lines? 

A related query is that, what exactly do SDP attributes for media lines
describe? Do they indicate the current state of the media stream or do
they indicate the nature of the media stream. 

To clarify a little, I am wondering if there is a need for an "update"
in SDP attributes, when say, a particular conference participant is not
given the right to address the conference by a moderator (this doesnt
change the basic nature of the media being sendrecv, but is just
temporarily not giving the user permissions to send/recv this stream).

Regards,
Prashant Gupta.

Graduate Student
NC State University, 
Raleigh, NC.

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:28:38 -0400

Hi,

>a=inactive attribute is implied by the above for each of the media

I guess so, they both imply that no media is sent. Does it matter?

>temporarily not giving the user permissions to send/recv this stream).

This probably depends on how the SDP is used. If you're using SDP as part
of a floor control protocol, then I'd expect new SDP to be exchanged (the
semantics of this are not clear though). If SDP just sets up the session,
then it would describe the initial state and the floor control protocol
would handle updates.

Colin