Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP Feature table, Section 1 review.

From: Aravind Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:42:10 -0400

Keys for Column Headings
SRV=Server
PRY=Proxy
CLT=Client

Keys for requirements explicitly callout
M=MUST
MN=MUST NOT
SD=SHOULD
SDN=SHOULD NOT
SL=SHALL
SLN=SHALL NOT
MAY=MAY
NA=NOT APPLICABLE
OPT=OPTIONAL
REQ=REQUIRED
REC=RECOMMENDED

Keys for requirements implicitly callout
m=must
mn=must not
sd=should
sdn=should not
sl=shall
sln=shall not
may=may
na=not applicable
opt=optional
req=required
rec=recommended

Other Keys
desc=describe
para=parameter
mthd=method
recd=recording
conf=conference
info=information
pres=presentation
attr=attribute
app=application
init=initialization
id=identifier
req=required
diff=different
avail=available
sync=synchronize
auth=authenticate

NOTES:
1. Line numbers are exactly as in RFC. Some blank, page header and footer
lines have been deleted.
2. Server,Proxy, Client shows explicit and implicit requirements called
out. YET TO BE CONFIRMED.
3. Missing requirement callout does not exclude a requirement.

LINE FEATURE SUMMARY                         SECTION        SRV PRY CLT
    309Rreqs handled by proxies, tunnels caches1.1 Purpose         may
    324control multiple streams, 1 timeline    1.3 Terminology may may may
    330Multiparty, multimedia pres             1.3 Terminology
    343client request media data from SRV      1.3 Terminology req req req
    347Transport layer virtual circuit         1.3 Terminology info info info
    351File contain multiple streams           1.3 Terminology may may may
    352comprise a pres                         1.3 Terminology may may may
    353SRV offer agg. control                  1.3 Terminology may may may
    354container file not embedded in protocol.1.3 Terminology
    357timing sink source relationship         1.3 Terminology info info info
    358sink must reproduce source timing       1.3 Terminology m   m   m
    361interactive/realtime continuous media   1.3 Terminology info info info
    362streaming/playback cont. media          1.3 Terminology info info info
    366info. transferred as payload            1.3 Terminology info info info
    367meta info. in entity-header fields      1.3 Terminology req req req
    368content in entity-body                  1.3 Terminology may may may
    372Datatype/codec specific init..          1.3 Terminology info info info
    374Transport independent info.             1.3 Terminology req req req
    379media type parameter changed before     1.3 Terminology may may may
    380or during stream playback.              1.3 Terminology may may may
    383playback or record services for         1.3 Terminology req req req
    384one or more media streams               1.3 Terminology req req req
    384diff streams within presenatation       1.3 Terminology may may may
    385may originate from diff SRVs            1.3 Terminology may may may
    399Redirection to diff media SRV.          1.3 Terminology info info info
    402media stream is a single media instance 1.3 Terminology info info info
    404RTP stream consists of RTP and RTCP     1.3 Terminology req req req
    406equivalent to DSM-CC stream([5]).       1.3 Terminology req req req
    410structured sequence of octets           1.3 Terminology info info info
    411transmit by connection or connectionless1.3 Terminology info info info
    415participant may be machine, record, SRV 1.3 Terminology may may may
    419one or more streams media feed          1.3 Terminology info info info
    420using pres desc.                        1.3 Terminology req req req
    422agg. control of those streams           1.3 Terminology may may may
    425info. about one or more streams         1.3 Terminology info info info
    429SDP "session" for live pres.            1.3 Terminology info info info
    430pres. desc. takes serveral formats, SDP 1.3 Terminology may may may
    434An RTSP response.                       1.3 Terminology info info info
    435HTTP response indicated explicitly.     1.3 Terminology info info info
    438An RTSP request                         1.3 Terminology info info info
    439HTTP request indicated explicitly.      1.3 Terminology info info info
    442complete RTSP "transaction"             1.3 Terminology info info info
    457negotiation of transport info.          1.3 Terminology info info info
    465New mthds and para. easily added        1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    468can parsed by standard HTTP or MIME     1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    471re-uses web security mechanisms.        1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    472HTTP auth basic (RFC 2068)              1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    473digest auth (RFC 2069)                  1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    474reuse transport/network layer security  1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    478use unreliable datagram protocol (UDP)  1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    479reliable datagram protocol RDP, RFC1151 1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    480reliable stream protocol such as TCP    1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    484media stream reside on diff SRV         1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    485CLT establishes control sessions        1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    487Media synch performed at transport      1.4 Proto. Prop m   m   m
    490control both record and playback        1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    491can alternate between two modes         1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    495Stream control divorced conf.           1.4 Proto. Prop
    496initiation protocol create unique id.   1.4 Proto. Prop req req req
    498SIP [12] or H.323                       1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    511frame-level accuracy SMPTE time stamps  1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    512allow remote digital editing.           1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    515does not impose pres or meta            1.4 Proto. Prop
    516can convey type of format to be used    1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    518must contain at least one RTSP URI.     1.4 Proto. Prop m   m   m
    521protocol handled by both app. and       1.4 Proto. Prop
    522 transport-layer (SOCKS [14]) firewalls 1.4 Proto. Prop sd  sd sd
    523SETUP mthd open "hole" for UDP          1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    527reuses HTTP concepts                    1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    528 existing infrastructure can be reused. 1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    529(Platform for Internet Content Selection1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    531does not just add mthds to HTTP         1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    535startstream,to stopstream               1.4 Proto. Prop m   m   m
    536SRVs not stream CLTs cannot stop        1.4 Proto. Prop sdn sdn sdn
    540CLT can negotiate transport mthd        1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    544If basic are disabled, clean mthd for   1.4 Proto. Prop
    545CLT to determine mthds not implement    1.4 Proto. Prop m   m   m
    547present appropriate user interface.     1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    551 multi-CLT capability.                  1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    553easily extensible to multi-CLT          1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    554stream ids used by svrl ctrl streams    1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    555passing remote would be possible.       1.4 Proto. Prop may may may
    556how several CLTs negotiate access;      1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    557left to other "social protocol"         1.4 Proto. Prop info info info
    571will support diff sets of requests.     1.5 Extend RTSP info info info
    581implement all header fields described   1.5 Extend RTSP SD  SD  SD
    591Existing mthds can be extended          1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    592para. be ignored by recipient.          1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    594if client need negative acknowledgement 1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    595tag to extension be added               1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    596in Require: field                       1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    597New mthds can be added.                 1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    598not understand responds with 501        1.5 Extend RTSP m   m   m
    599sender should not attempt to use mthd   1.5 Extend RTSP sdn sdn sdn
    600CLT use OPTIONS mthd to inquire         1.5 Extend RTSP may may may
    601SRV SHOULD list mthds                   1.5 Extend RTSP SD  SD  SD
    603new version of protocol can be defined  1.5 Extend RTSP info info info
    604allow all aspects to change             1.5 Extend RTSP info info info
    609may be identified by an RTSP URL.       1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    611defined by pres desc.                   1.6 Overall Op. m   m   m
    613desc. obtained by CLT                   1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    614may not be store on media server        1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    624presentation descriptin                 1.6 Overall Op.
    625describe one or more presentations      1.6 Overall Op.
    626each maintains common time axis         1.6 Overall Op. m   m   m
    630 may contain several media streams.     1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    632Presentation description contains desc  1.6 Overall Op. m   m   m
    633media stream making up pres, encodings, 1.6 Overall Op.
    634language, para. enable CLT to choose    1.6 Overall Op. req req req
    635appropriate media combination           1.6 Overall Op.
    636each stream is individually controllable1.6 Overall Op. m   m   m
    637identified RTSP URL, points media SRV   1.6 Overall Op. m   m   m
    639streams located on diff SRVs            1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    640audio and video streams can split       1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    642transport mthds SRV capable of          1.6 Overall Op. may may may
    644network destination address and         1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    645port need to be determined.             1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    649transmitted to source of RTSP request,  1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    650port number chosen by CLT.              1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    651transmitted same reliable stream RTSP.  1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    654picks multicast address and port.       1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    660multicast address, port and key         1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    661given by conf. desc.                    1.6 Overall Op. info info info
    666sent via separate protocol,             1.7 RTSP States may may may
    669delivery continues no RTSP requests     1.7 RTSP States m   m   m
    678single media stream may be ctrld        1.7 RTSP States may may may
    679by RTSP issued sequentially on diff TCP 1.7 RTSP States may may may
    680SRV maintain "session state"            1.7 RTSP States m   m   m
    681correlate RTSP requests withstream      1.7 RTSP States m   m   m
    684many mthds not contribute to state      1.7 RTSP States info info info
    690Causes SRV to allocate resources        1.7 RTSP States info info info
    694Starts transmission allocated via SETUP 1.7 RTSP States info info info
    697Temporarily halts stream                1.7 RTSP States info info info
    700 Frees resources. Session ceases        1.7 RTSP States info info info
    703contribute to state use Session header  1.7 RTSP States info info info
    705SRV generates session id.s              1.7 RTSP States info info info
    710RTSP overlap with HTTP.                 1.8 Other Proto info info info
    711interact with HTTP initial contact      1.8 Other Proto may may may
    713allow diff hand-off points              1.8 Other Proto info info info
    715can be retrieved using HTTP or RTSP     1.8 Other Proto may may may
    716reduces roundtrips browser scenarios    1.8 Other Proto info info info
    717allow RTSP SRVs with no HTTP            1.8 Other Proto info info info
    721out-of-band indiff protocol.            1.8 Other Proto info info info
    722asymmetric protocol                     1.8 Other Proto info info info
    723both CLT and SRV issue request          1.8 Other Proto may may may
    724 requests are also not stateless        1.8 Other Proto info info info
    725set para. and control stream            1.8 Other Proto may may may
    737security and proxies.                   1.8 Other Proto info info info
    738adopt HTTP caches, proxies and auth     1.8 Other Proto info info info
    742RTSPnot tied to RTP.                    1.8 Other Proto info info info
    744existence pres desc.                    1.8 Other Proto info info info
    745express static and temporal properties  1.8 Other Proto info info info
    746containing several media streams.       1.8 Other Proto info info info

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic