Subject: [MMUSIC] CFP: Special Issue in IEEE Network on Network Management

From: "Nikos A. Nikolaou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:57:04 +0300

My apologies if you receive multiple copies of this.

A pdf version of this CFP will be available soon at
http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/net/ntwrk/special.html

Kind regards,
Nikos A. Nikolaou

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Call For Papers
                IEEE Network Magazine Special Issue on
    Network Management of Multi-service, Multimedia, IP-based Networks

Guest Editors

Dr. Nikolaos Nikolaou                   Dr. Theodore Zahariadis
Lucent Technologies                     Networking & Multimedia Systems
Bell Labs - AT, EMEA                    Ellemedia Technologies
Botterstraat 45                         Syggrou 223,
1270 AA, Huizen,                        171 21, Athens
The Netherlands                         Greece
Tel: +31 - 35 - 687 5302                Tel: +30 - 10 - 937 3097
Email: [email-masked]              Email: [email-masked]

Prof. Joan Serrat                       Dr. Bharat Doshi
Telecommunication Engineering           Lucent Technologies
Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya    Bell Labs
Sor Eulalia d'Anzizu, s/n,              101 Crawfords Corner Rd,
08034, Barcelona,                       Holmdel, NJ  07733
Spain                                   USA
Tel: +34 - 93 - 401 6786                Tel: +1732 949 0823
Email: [email-masked]                Email: [email-masked]

Objectives

During the last decade, innovations concerning optical networking technology, as
well as advances in digital compression and transmission over copper and cable
have dramatically increased the capabilities and the efficiency of existing and
imminent access-, metropolitan- and core-networks. A major breakthrough in
communications was the fast deployment of cellular systems. Currently, 3G
wireless systems, targeting the transmission of voice, video and high-speed
data, are already under preliminary deployment. Furthermore, researchers and
vendors are expressing a growing interest in 4G wireless systems that will
support even higher rates and cater for global roaming across multiple wireless
networks.

Meanwhile, based on the TCP/IP protocol suite, the Internet has evolved from a
research network, targeting a limited audience of academic and military users,
to a huge and commercially operated network. Next-generation IP technology has
the potential to prevail, both in the access and in the core, as we are moving
toward a worldwide, multi-service, multimedia and high-speed networking
environment. The explosion of IP-based multimedia applications led to an
exponential growth of IP traffic and initiated a number of research activities
that would allow efficient Quality of Service (QoS) support. Additionally, the
issue of security became more important and acquired considerable attention
owing to the proliferation of IP-based Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).

However, apart from efficient compression, sophisticated transmission schemes
and support for QoS, mobility and security, contemporary networking applications
require significant functionality for management operations, ensuring that the
underlining network is both available and capable of supporting the service
uninterruptedly. Configuration, performance and fault management over
heterogeneous underlying technologies and multi-layered networks, along with
end-to-end QoS, traffic management, service control platforms, billing and
mobility management are also crucial components of multi-service and high-speed
IP-based networks.

The goal of this special issue in IEEE Network Magazine is to present to the
magazine's audience (1) a comprehensive study of the design, performance and
deployment issues and solutions of end-to-end network management over
multi-domain, multi-technology, IP-based networks, and (2) a consolidated
insight into ongoing research, development and trials' evaluation of network
management technologies and platforms, broadening future research directions. To
achieve this goal, this special issue seeks for original papers with strong
tutorial and/or survey perspective that will consolidate and present the
leading-edge research prototype development, trials and early deployment and
performance studies in Network Management of multi-service, multimedia, IP-based
networks.

Topics

In particular, focused tutorial and survey contributions are solicited on (but
not restricted to) the following areas:
* End-to-end IP multimedia network and service management
* VoIP, IP Video, streaming, interactive video service management
* Provisioning of multimedia networks and services
* Wireless LAN and 3G/4G mobile multimedia network management
* Management of terminal and network mobility
* Inter-domain IP over WDM multimedia network management
* Network management models and architectures
* Management issues for billing and security for IP multimedia services
* Multi-domain, multi-point, multicast services management
* Policy-based management for multimedia services
* Performance and Fault Management of Multi-layered Networks
* QoS management
* Multimedia traffic management
* Active multimedia network management
* Middleware support for management

Manuscript Submission

Interested authors should submit an electronic version of the manuscript, in
either Postscript or PDF format, as an email attachment to one of the guest
editors.

Additional information including "Guidelines for authors" is available at the
IEEE Network Website: http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/net/ntwrk/authors.html

Important Dates

Submission Deadline:            October 1, 2002
Notification of Acceptance:     December 21, 2002
Final Manuscript Due:           March 1, 2003
Publication Date:               May/June 2003
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic