Subject: [MMUSIC] Proxy specific options?

From: Tom Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:25:31 -0800

The subject of the Require: and Proxy-Require: headers came up today in a
discussion.  It appears to me that the headers are intended to be used as
follows:

Require: Specifies option(s) which must be supported on the server.  Servers
must look at this header.  Proxies do not need to look at this header.

Proxy-Require: Specifies option(s) which must be supported at all points
along the RTSP chain.  Both servers and proxies must look at this header.

If this is the case, I have two questions:

1. How should an option that is specific to proxies be communicated?  Is
this even possible?  I have no concrete examples, but perhaps one could
imagine an option that applied to firewall traversal or somesuch.

2. Most of the RTSP spec is written to agree and extend the HTTP spec.  Is
the Proxy-Require header consistent with HTTP?  The Proxy-Authorization
header is hop-by-hop[1] in RFC2616 (changed from RFC2068) so that all
Proxy-* headers are hop-by-hop in HTTP 1.1.  Should this be changed in the
new RTSP draft?

[1] see 13.5.1 in both 2068 and 2616.

-- 
"Microsoft's biggest and most dangerous contribution to the software
industry may be the degree to which it has lowered user expectations."
        -- Esther Schindler, OS/2 Magazine

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:22:29 -0500

This behavior differs from SIP, where Proxy-Require is just for proxies, 
not UAS. It would be nice to avoid yet another divergence point.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic