Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP Connection header

From: Tom Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:07:19 -0700

rfc2326 defines the Connection header.  I have some questions about
implementation.

1. Table 3 says that the header is a general header, it is required to be
   supported, and it applies to all messages (presumedly this means both
   requests and responses).  When is the server required to include a
   Connection header in a response?  Always?  At its discretion?  When the
   client has sent one in the corresponding request?

2. Per section 12.10, the Connection header is defined in rfc2068 14.10.  It
   says this:

     The Connection header has the following grammar:

            Connection-header = "Connection" ":" 1#(connection-token)
            connection-token  = token

     HTTP/1.1 proxies MUST parse the Connection header field before a
     message is forwarded and, for each connection-token in this field,
     remove any header field(s) from the message with the same name as the
     connection-token.  Connection options are signaled by the presence of a
     connection-token in the Connection header field, not by any
     corresponding additional header field(s), since the additional header
     field may not be sent if there are no parameters associated with that
     connection option.

   What exactly does this mean?  It appears to mean that if the proxy gets a
   message with "Connection: close, foo" and "foo: bar" headers, it must
   remove the "foo: bar" header.  Is this correct?

   This says to me that we can have something like the following:

     Connection: Timed-Close
     Timed-Close: 30

   The above (fictitious) example might indicate to a server that the client
   intends to close the control channel in 30 seconds.  Is this a valid
   interpretation?  What headers are excluded from this behavior (imagine
   someone sending "Connection: Content-Length")?

-- 
You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because
thorns have roses.
        -- Abraham Lincoln