Subject: [MMUSIC] Clarification of Re-Setup handling in RTSP

From: Aravind Narasimhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:16:25 -0400

Hey Folks,

I have come up with the proposed wording for the resolution of bug 
513737 (http://rtsp.org/bug513737).  First let me cite the resolution 
that was reached in conference call on March 5th:

Resolution: go with alternative #1 from bug report (1. Keep the old 
setting and states as if the second SETUP never happend.)

Here my attempt to clarify the wording in the spec according to the 
resolution of the concall:

Wording from draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-03.txt

11.3 SETUP

   The SETUP request for a URI specifies the transport mechanism to be
   used for the streamed media. A client can issue a SETUP request for a
   stream that is already set up or playing in the session to change
   transport parameters, which a server MAY allow. If it does not allow
   this, it MUST respond with error 455 (Method Not Valid In This
   State).

   A server MAY allow a client to do SETUP while in playing state to add
   additional media streams. If not supported the server shall responde
   with error 455 (Method Not Allowed In This State). If supported the
   added media shall then start to play in sync with the already playing
   media. To be able to sync the media with the already playing streams
   the SETUP response MUST include a RTP-Info header with the timestamp
   value, and a Range header with the corresponding normal play time. To
   indicate support for this optional feature the feature-tag:
   "setup.playing" is defined.

New proposed wording:

11.3 SETUP

   The SETUP request for a URI specifies the transport mechanism to be
   used for the streamed media. A client can issue a SETUP request for a
   stream that is already set up or playing in the session to change 
   transport parameters, which a server MAY allow. If it does not allow
   this, it MUST respond with error 455 (Method Not Valid In This
   State).

   A server MAY allow a client to do SETUP while in playing state to add
   additional media streams. If not supported, the server shall respond    |
   with error 455 (Method Not Valid in This State). If supported the       |
   added media shall then start to play in sync with the already playing
   media. To be able to sync the media with the already playing streams
   the SETUP response MUST include a RTP-Info header with the timestamp
   value, and a Range header with the corresponding normal play time. To
   indicate support for this optional feature the feature-tag:
   "setup.playing" is defined.

   If a SETUP request on a session fails for any reason, the session       |
   state, as well as transport and other parameters for associated         |
   streams will remain unchanged from their values as if the SETUP         |
   request had never been received by the server.                          |

Please send your comments.

Thanks

Aravind

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic