Subject: [MMUSIC] ETag Definition in draft-rfc2326bis-06

From: "Jae-Hwan Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:36:30 +0900

Dear MMUSICers,

Please look at the page 60 mentioning ETag header field. 
Basically, "304 Not modified" response is always supposed to have this
header field.
However, where is ETag definition in this spec.?

In addition, when ETag is used in DESCRIBE response, should a client
ignore this field?
I found a commercial RTSP server had this field in the DESCRIBE
response.

TIA/BR, 
Jae-Hwan

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:23:22 +0100

Hi Jae-Hwan,

Thanks for spotting this. I need some help with this as I have not a 
complete understanding of how ETag is supposed to work. I understand 
that they are server defined entities that only needs to follow the syntax.

So what I understand there is need for a RTSP header "ETag:<tag>" that 
can be included in DESCRIBE and SETUP messages to be used to determine 
what content the client actually wants to SETUP or question if the 
description is up-to-date.

Having a ETag header in the describe response seem to have some 
possibilities to clash with the SDP usage. In session descriptions it 
seems much better to have the ETag in the description so one does not 
have to add it if one for example saves the SDP.

Any comments on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.