Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] ICE feature - TCP alternates for a UDP stream

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:49:28 -0500

> > I assume the RTP/TCP transport option will NOT be made mandatory in 
> > ICE?
> 
> No, in that we concluded that nothing in particular was 
> mandatory, not 
> even TURN/UDP. However I will add motivation text for this which 
> explains why it might be a good idea.

I think we should be a bit careful on what we say on RTP/TCP
transport.

While I understand that it may make sense in some cases
to "recommend" using RTP/TCP if everything else fails. 

However, there are environments where this may NOT make sense.
For example, in an Enterprise, you may not want to allow
RTP/TCP at all because of quality issues.

So I would say it needs some qualifiers along the lines of
"if RTP/TCP transport is acceptable for the application, it
is recommended that bla bla bla".
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:09:18 -0500

> is recommended that bla bla bla".

Certainly I think it is reasonable to allow an endpoint to not even 
offer RTP/TCP if that is appropriate for the environment.

The question is about whether an endpoint has to implement it. THere, I 
think its like TURN. We don't make it a MUST. We specify that you SHOULD 
implement something that provides media transport over TCP and I will 
explain the motivations for why this is a good idea.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com