Subject: [MMUSIC] End of movie signalling

From: "Spiros Spirou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:09:23 +0100

Hi,

In a VoD scenario, I am trying to find a STANDARD way to detect the end of a
movie in the client in order to free the associated resources for control
(RTSP), transport (RTP) and play-out.

RFC 2326 states that when the server reaches the end of the movie it "...
reverts from state Playing ... to state Ready ...". From there "... it MAY
revert to Init and tear down the RTSP session if it has not received
\"wellness\" information, such as RTCP reports or RTSP commands, from the client
for a defined interval, with a default of one minute." Both of these state
changes happen without sending any notification to the client.

Now, the client could detect the end of movie on its own by maintaining a
presentation clock, set initially by the Range header in the PLAY reply.
However, this would probably involve polling, which seems incorrect given the
usual scarcity of resources in the client platform. A variant of this method
would be to poll the server by sending PLAY requests without a Range header and
reading the current presentation time in the Range header of the reply. This
adds waste of bandwidth to the waste of local resources.

Any ideas?

Spiros

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:23:19 +0100 (MET)

Hi Spiros,

what you are looking for is being addressed in an addition to the
revised RTSP spec: draft-ietf-mmusic-rtsp-announce-00.txt defines
a generic announcement mechanism that, among other uses, the server
can use to signal end-of-stream to the client.

Please also take a look draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-08.txt,
the updated RTSP spec that is supposed to override RFC 2326 in the
not too distant future.

Joerg

---

From: "Spiros Spirou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:08:29 +0100

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the pointers. Reading between the lines, I would say that there is no
provisioned mechanism for signaling end-of-stream using RFC2326 means only.
Implementations wishing to be backwards compatible should probably revert to
costly tricks. Is this correct?

Spiros

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Ott [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 10:23 AM
To: Spiros Spirou
Cc: IETF mmusic WG list; Joerg Ott
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] End of movie signalling

Hi Spiros,

Joerg