Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Updated text in RTP-Info

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:00:47 +0100

Hi,

In November I received some comments on the RTP-Info text that it is 
often misinterpreted regarding what values should be put into the 
"rtptime" parameter. In trying to address this and also the requirement 
to include the different parameters I have tried to rephrase the 
sentence. Please provide comments.

Cheers

Magnus

In Section 14.38 the following text is proposed.

    The header can carry the following parameters:

         url: Indicates the stream URI which for which the following RTP
              parameters correspond, this URI MUST be the same used in
              the SETUP request for this media stream. Any relative URI
              SHALL use the Request-URI as base URI. This parameter SHALL
              be present.

         seq: Indicates the sequence number of the first packet of the
              stream that is direct result of the request. This allows
              clients to gracefully deal with packets when seeking. The
              client uses this value to differentiate packets that
              originated before the seek from packets that originated
              after the seek. Note that a client may not receive the
              packet with the expressed sequence number, and instead
              packets with a higher sequence number, due to packet loss
              or reordering. This parameter is RECOMMENDED to be present.

         rtptime: SHALL indicate the RTP timestamp value corresponding to
              the start time value in the Range response header, or if
              not explicitly given the implied start point. The client
              uses this value to calculate the mapping of RTP time to NPT
              or other media timescale. This parameter SHOULD be present
              to ensure inter-media synchronization is achieved. There
              exist no requirement that any received RTP packet will have
              the same RTP timestamp value as the one in the parameter
              used to establish synchronization.

         A mapping from RTP timestamps to NTP timestamps (wall
         clock) is available via RTCP. However, this information is
         not sufficient to generate a mapping from RTP timestamps to
         media clock time (NPT, etc.). Furthermore, in order to
         ensure that this information is available at the necessary
         time (immediately at startup or after a seek), and that it
         is delivered reliably, this mapping is placed in the RTSP
         control channel.

    In order to compensate for drift for long, uninterrupted
    presentations, RTSP clients should additionally map NPT to NTP, using
    initial RTCP sender reports to do the mapping, and later reports to
    check drift against the mapping.

    Example:

    Range:npt=3.25-15
    RTP-Info:url=rtsp://example.com/foo/audio;seq=45102;rtptime=12345678,
             url=rtsp://example.com/foo/video;seq=30211;rtptime=29567112

    Lets assume that audio uses a 16kHz RTP timestamp clock and Video
    a 90kHz RTP timestamp clock. Then the media synchronization is
    depicted in the following way.

    NPT    3.0---3.1---3.2-X-3.3---3.4---3.5---3.6
    Audio               PA A
    Video                  V    PV

    X: NPT time value = 3.25, from Range header.
    A: RTP timestamp value for Audio from RTP-Info header (12345678).
    V: RTP timestamp value for Video from RTP-Info header (29567112).
    PA: RTP audio packet carrying an RTP timestamp of 12344878. Which
        corresponds to NPT = (12344878 - A) / 16000 + 3.25 = 3.2
    PV: RTP video packet carrying an RTP timestamp of 29573412. Which
        corresponds to NPT = (29573412 - V) / 90000 + 3.25 = 3.32

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: Rishi Mathew <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:43:38 -0800

Hey Magnus,

This proposed text looks good to us.

Thanks for looking into this..
-Rishi.

At 02:00 AM 2/21/2005, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In November I received some comments on the RTP-Info text that it is often 
>misinterpreted regarding what values should be put into the "rtptime" 
>parameter. In trying to address this and also the requirement to include 
>the different parameters I have tried to rephrase the sentence. Please 
>provide comments.
>
>Cheers
>
>Magnus
>

Rishi Mathew
Software Development Engineer
Helix Development Support Group
RealNetworks, Inc.
[email-masked]
206.892.6126
http://www.helixcommunity.org
http://www.realnetworks.com/products/support/devsupport.html
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic