Subject: [MMUSIC] RTSP and negotiation about Codec's capabilities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:52:51 +0530

Hi,
        Could some please clarify:
        With RTSP as the control protocol for a streamed multimedia 
session, how does the Server determine if the Player has the capability to 
decode the content it receives? In other words, how does the Player 
specify the capabilities of the codecs available with it?
        An example might clarify the information I am looking for. Suppose 
the streamed content contains a MPEG-4 video bitstream (Simple Profile and 
level L3). Now the Server needs to check if the MPEG-4 video decoder 
available with the Player has the capability to decode this bitstream or 
not. Conceptually, it needs to query the Profile and Level supported by 
the MPEG-4 video decoder, and that can help it decide whether the Player 
can decode this particular MPEG-4 video bitstream or not.
        How is this handled in a generic sense (the decoder could be a MP3 
decoder, MPEG-4 video decoder, AAC decoder ...) ? Is there standard set of 
parameters about each codec’s capability that the Player would inform the 
Server ?

Thanks,
Shailendra
_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic