Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-02.txt

From: "Hedayat, Kaynam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:30:46 -0500

Gunnar,

Thank you for you comments. I concur with the proposed changes and will
include them in the next version of the draft.

Regards,
Kaynam 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Gunnar Hellstrom
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MMUSIC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-02.txt

This draft looks very useful.

At the moment I just have one comment: Please do not forget the
real-time text medium. The three media of conversational communication
are real-time video, real-time text and real-time audio.
Real-time text has lagged behind but is getting momentum now, after
publication of RFC 4103, the new RTP payload for text conversation.

I think the mmusic group has accepted to keep in mind to include
real-time text in the documents when appropriate. Here it is
appropriate.

The method described in this draft is in fact media agnostic, so you
only need to adjust the abstract and the introduction to get the
real-time text medium included.

This is the abstract and Introduction after addition of ",
Real-time-text"
in front of all occurrences of "and Video".
Also one case of "voice/video" is changed to
"voice/real-time-text/video"

Note that the term text is not used without real-time.  This is because
other types of text that are not real-time are also increasingly being
transmitted in accompaniment with voice and video (e.g. IM and text
documents ), but the loopback tests may not at all be relevant for such
kinds of text communication, while it definitely is for real-time text
according to RFC 4103.

========Proposed modified Abstract====================================
Abstract

    The wide deployment of VoIP, Text and Video over IP services has
    introduced new challenges in managing and maintaining
    voice/real-time-text/video quality, reliability, and overall
    performance. In particular, media delivery is an area that needs
    attention. One method of meeting these challenges is monitoring the
    media delivery performance by looping media back to the transmitter.
    This is typically referred to as "active monitoring" of services.
    Media loopback is especially popular in ensuring the quality of
    transport to the edge of a given VoIP, Real-time-text or Video over
IP
    service. Today in networks that deliver real-time media, short of
    running 'ping' and 'traceroute' to the edge, service providers are
left
    without the necessary tools to actively monitor, manage, and
diagnose
    quality issues with their service.  The extension defined herein
adds
    new SDP media attributes which enables establishment of media
sessions
    where the media is looped back to the transmitter. Such media
    sessions will serve as monitoring and troubleshooting tools by
    providing the means for measurement of more advanced VoIP,
Real-time-
    text and Video over IP performance metrics.

 - - -Proposed modified introduction- - - - - - - - - - - -

 1. Introduction

    The overall quality, reliability, and performance of VoIP,
    Real-time-text and Video over IP services relies on the performance
    and quality of the media path. In order to assure the quality of
    the delivered media there is a need to monitor the performance of
    the media transport. One method of monitoring and managing the
overall
    quality of VoIP, Real-time-text and Video over IP Services is
through
    monitoring the quality of the media in an active session.  This type
    of "active monitoring" of services is a method of pro-actively
managing
    the performance and quality of VoIP based services.

    The goal of active monitoring is to measure the media quality of a
    VoIP, Real-time-Text or Video over IP session.

===========================================

Regards
Gunnar
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
-
Gunnar Hellstrom, Omnitor
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Mob: +46 708 204 288
Phone: +46 8 556 002 03
www.omnitor.se <http://www.omnitor.se>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MMUSIC] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Extension to the Session Description
                          Protocol (SDP) for Media Loopback
	Author(s)	: K. Hedayat, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-11-8

The wide deployment of VoIP and Video over IP services has
    introduced new challenges in managing and maintaining voice/video
    quality, reliability, and overall performance.  In particular,
    media delivery is an area that needs attention.  One method of
    meeting these challenges is monitoring the media delivery
    performance by looping media back to the transmitter.  This is
    typically referred to as "active monitoring" of services.   Media
    loopback is especially popular in ensuring the quality of transport
    to the edge of a given VoIP or Video over IP service.  Today in
    networks that deliver real-time media, short of running 'ping' and
    'traceroute' to the edge, service providers are left without the
    necessary tools to actively monitor, manage, and diagnose quality
    issues with their service.  The extension defined herein adds new
    SDP media attributes which enables establishment of media sessions
    where the media is looped back to the transmitter. Such media
    sessions will serve as monitoring and troubleshooting tools by
    providing the means for measurement of more advanced VoIP and Video
    Over IP performance metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-02.
txt

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic