Subject: [MMUSIC] T38FaxMaxDatagram

From: "Attila Sipos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:02:12 -0000

(Sorry if this is the wrong group to post to)

in draft-jones-avt-audio-t38-04.txt, they describe
T38FaxMaxBuffer:

      T38FaxMaxBuffer: Indicates the maximum number of octets that can
      be stored on the remote device before an overflow condition
      occurs. It is the responsibility of the transmitting application
      to limit the transfer rate to prevent an overflow. The negotiated
      data rate should be used to determine the rate at which data is
      being removed from the buffer.  Value is an integer.

My problem is that I don't see how this value tells us anything.

e.g.
say the T38FaxMaxBuffer is 200
and say T38MaxRate is 14400

So at 14,400bps, we generate 1800 bytes/second.

Now it says:
>>      The negotiated
>>      data rate should be used to determine the rate at which data is
>>      being removed from the buffer.  Value is an integer.

So this means the data is being removed 9 times per second (1800/200).
So why is this important?

My thinking is that if we have the T38MaxRate parameter,
then how does T38FaxMaxBuffer tells us anything extra?
What are we supposed to do with this information?

Can someone explain how to use the T38FaxMaxBuffer parameter
when it is received?

Regards,

Attila

Attila Sipos
http://www.vegastream.com

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic