Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP: Upgrade to TLS

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:19:42 +0100

Francois Audet skrev:
>  
> 
>> If you already have a special URL and so you're not doing 
>> opportunistic (which seems like the case) the only reason for 
>> demux scheme is to save ports. And if you've already got a 
>> port allocated...
> 
> Is there a NAT traversal problem to worry about?
> That's the other reason why you might want to use the same port.

Hi,

A very late reply.

So far we have considered RTSP to be a client to server protocol. Thus 
if you are running a server you need to at least allow the clients to 
connect to you. With a server behind a NAT you either need some type of 
proxy or a static forward rule in all NATs between the server and the 
public internet/clients address domain.

In the long run I can start expecting RTSP servers to be deployed in a 
similar fashion to SIP clients, but we aren't there yet. I think one can 
do a lot as soon as one gets the media NAT solution. The NAT solution 
for the control connection is a another piece.

In the light that it is likely to possible to retrofit I would leave it 
out for the moment. I rather get the spec out than not because we add 
things.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic