Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] RTSP support for streaming raw container

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:18:04 +0200

A very late reply.

nicolas catania skrev:
> Hi, I am new to RTSP/RTP but this question hopefully makes sense:
> 
> Is it possible to stream a video file container (say avi) straight on RTP?
> If yes, what type/profile should be used in SDP and RTP?

No. You need to have a payload format for what you are streaming. Also 
streaming an aggregated file has some issues with reliability, different 
media in the same stream.

> 
> Basically, I want to be able to stream a video from a very lightweight 
> server.
> I'd rather not have to write an avi parser to extract the video and 
> audio streams.
> Hopefully, I should be able to send the avi file as is and the player 
> should be
> able to figure out how to play it.
> 

If these are your goals I would recommend progressive download using 
HTTP. It seem lightweigth are more important than random access for 
example.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic