Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE and ICE-LITE for TCP

From: "DRAGE, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:30:59 +0100

In regard to the discussion on ICE and ICE-LITE for TCP in MMUSIC today,
this is the extract from the report of the relevant 3GPP CT1 meeting in
regard to this issue:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
C1-072935	Discussion on IBCF/TrGW ICE procedures - Full ICE vs ICE
lite and TCP
Type:		Discussion
Source: 	LM Ericsson
Discussion:	
Full ICE / Light ICE support:
It was clarified, that the support for ICE is optional. The discussion
paper focused only on entities that chose the option to implement ICE.

For the case when ICE is supported by the IBCF, the group did not decide
whether, as outlined in the discussion paper,
- only full ICE or 
- full ICE as well as ICE light 
should be possible implementation options for the IBCF, but it was
assumed that CRs introducing these options would not differ too much.
Therefore Ericsson was invited to draft a CR to the next meeting,
introducing one of the options. The CR then can be changed according to
the agreements of the next meeting.

ICE for TCP based media streams:
It was agreed, that the first alternative ("ICE is disabled for TCP
based media streams") will be taken as a working assumption for the
moment. As always this does not mean that related CRs brought to one of
the next meetings will be agreed. Some companies indicated the need to
further investigate this issue and might come up with alternative
solutions.

The group agreed that the problem with ICE support for TCP based media
and both alternative solutions should be presented to IETF MMUSIC. Via
the official 3GPP / IETF liaison person it should be indicated, that
both alternatives have been discussed in 3GPP and that the group agrees
a solution needs to be found for this problem. The solution is not
necessarily restricted to these two alternatives.
Status:	REVISED TO C1-072960 which is NOTED
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

The referred to documents can be found at:

ftp://ftp.3gpp.org/tsg_ct/WG1_mm-cc-sm_ex-CN1/TSGC1_50/Docs/ 

These should be freely accessible.

I am not aware that any 3GPP/MMUSIC liaison has occurred, but this
should be all the technical information that exists from the 3GPP side.

Keith

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:00:26 +0100

Hi Keith,
 
Thanks for distributing the report text!
 
As the text says, the working assumption (not an agreed solution, though) in 3GPP is that ICE would be disabled for TCP. That is also one of the proposals discussed today, and I also believe it would have the smallest impact on our spec. We would simply need a line saying that ICE can be used for UDP streams even if there are TCP streams without the ICE candidates etc.
 
Regards,
 
Christer

________________________________

Lähettäjä: DRAGE, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Lähetetty: to 6.12.2007 18:30
Vastaanottaja: [email-masked]
Aihe: [MMUSIC] ICE and ICE-LITE for TCP

Keith