Subject: [MMUSIC] Question: Nominating pairs

From: Jørgen Johanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:47:07 +0100

I have a couple of questions regarding the relationships between section
7.1.2.2.4 "Updating the Nominated Flag", section 7.2.1.4 "Triggered
Checks" and section 7.2.1.5 "Updating the Nominated Flag" (all ICE-19),
and the timing of events involved:

Section 7.2.1.5 Updating the Nominated Flag says "... the agent looks at
the state of the pair computed in section 7.2.1.4:". It then talks about
two specific states, Succeeded and In-Progress:

1)
Succeeded: This seems to be quite clear, this must be referring to the
case where the pair is already on the list, and its state is already
Succeeded (7.2.1.4: first bullet (o), 4th sub-bullet (*) "If the state
of the pair is Succeeded...". No triggered check is involved and we just
set the Nominated flag for the computed pair (which is already on the
check list).

==> Is this true?

2)
In-Progress: When referring back to 7.2.1.4 it does not seem that the
state of the computed pair will ever be In-Progress. In the first
sub-bullet (*) the pair is in Waiting or Frozen, in the sub-second
bullet it is initially in In-Progress but is set to Waiting, in the
third sub-bullet it was Failed but is set to Waiting, in the fourth
sub-bullet it is Succeeded.

==> When will the state of the pair computed in 7.2.1.4 and referred to
in 7.2.1.5 be in the In-Progress state?

==> Again, when 7.2.1.5 talks about the state of the pair computed, does
this refer to the state of the pair BEFORE initiating a triggered check
or AFTER the triggered check generated in 7.2.1.4 completes (7.1.2.2.4
seems to indicate this)?

3)
The above mentioned sections seems to indicate that for a controlled
agent the only time the Nominated Flag gets set when receiving a Binding
Request is:

  - When a check already has succeeded on the pair and you receive
    the request with USE-CANDIDATE set.

  - When a check was In-Progress and you receive the request with 
    USE-CANDIDATE set (but see above).

This excludes the following cases (the Nominated Flag does not get set):

  - You receive a request with the USE-CANDIDATE set and the computed 
    pair is Waiting or Frozen (even if the following triggered check
    succeedes).

  - You receive a request with the USE-CANDIDATE set and the computed 
    pair is Failed (even if the following triggered check succeedes).

  - You receive a request with the USE-CANDIDATE set and the computed
    pair is not already on the check list.

==> Is this true?

Sorry about the lengthy posting...

Thanks
Jorgen Johanson, Tandberg Telecom

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic