Subject: [MMUSIC] "SIP-SDP Overlap with RTSP" and OMA

From: Tom Hiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:03:11 -0500

Hello,

Last week at MMUSIC, the last slide of the presentation "SIP-SDP Overlap 
with RTSP" associated with "draft-lindquist-mmusic-sip-rtsp-00.txt", 
which involves bypassing the RTSP SETUP and DESCRIBE requests, suggests 
that this direction is on-going work in OMA, i.e.,:
 
> Ongoing work in other standard forums (ETSI TISPAN, 3GPP, OIPF, OMA, etc)

However, it is not the case.  In OMA we had discussed using SIP to 
signal the establishment of an RTSP session, bypassing the RTSP SETUP as 
in this draft, and we did not go that direction. Main reasons were that 
we wanted to be compliant with existing RTSP implementations and with 
RTSP 2.0 going forward. 

Thanks.

  - Tom

---

From: Jouni Mäenpää <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:36:10 +0300

Hi,

> In OMA we had discussed using SIP to signal the establishment of an
> RTSP session, bypassing the RTSP SETUP as in this draft, and we did
> not go that direction.

Just wanted to point out that at least ETSI TISPAN defines a model in
which SIP/SDP is used to establish a control channel for RTSP. They
define two alternatives, one of which bypasses the RTSP SETUP. The other
alternative uses SETUP and TEARDOWN.

Regards,
Jouni

Tom Hiller wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic