Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] IANA registration of the "image" media type in SDP

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:56:01 +0200

Gonzalo Salgueiro skrev 2011-03-31 15:52:
> Almost a year ago Kevin Fleming and I had this discussion. We ran into
> this issue in the course of working with the ITU-T on a SIP Forum FoIP
> TG initiated contribution to T.38. When updating references from RFC
> 2327  to RFC 4566, we came across the fact that in RFC 2327 the
> possible values for the 'media' type are documented as sharing the name
> space with the top-level media content types in the MIME (RFC 2048)
> registry, whereas in RFC 4566 this statement does not appear. RFC 4566
> does contain language that would appear to include such top-level media
> content types as valid 'media' types in SDP, but also establishes a new
> SDP-specific 'media' type registry. The MIME top-level media content
> registry *does* have a registration for 'image'. As you correctly note,
> IANA does not appear to have
> actually created an SDP media type registry (and populated it with
> the values from RFC 4566). As a result of this we intended to write the
> I-D for consideration by MMUSIC to register the 'image' media type for
> SDP. We'll happily submit this if the group agrees.
> 

Isn't it simpler to just point at the media types registry in general.
Not indicate which of the existing media types that might or might not
be used in SDP. That way you don't have to change the SDP specification
if anyone creates a new top media level type.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 14:25:41 +0200

I had a chat with the IANA staff in Prague, and they said that they could 
create the missing registry from RFC 4566. I can take the action point of 
making sure the registry is created.

Then, there were comments on the list advocating for the creation of a 
simple I-D adding the missing 'image' media type from RFC 4566. If 
Gonzalo or someone else can create this draft, we should be able to use 
to complete our plan.

/Miguel

On 01/04/2011 9:56, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> mmusic mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic
>

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain

---

From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:44:15 -0400

Miguel -

I'll get it submitted very soon.

Gonzalo

On Apr 4, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Miguel A. Garcia wrote:

> I had a chat with the IANA staff in Prague, and they said that they could create the missing registry from RFC 4566. I can take the action point of making sure the registry is created.
> 
> Then, there were comments on the list advocating for the creation of a simple I-D adding the missing 'image' media type from RFC 4566. If Gonzalo or someone else can create this draft, we should be able to use to complete our plan.
> 
> /Miguel
>

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:33:34 +0300

Hi,

This issue was discussed in 2005. Attached are some emails

Roni

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Gonzalo Salgueiro
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 4:44 PM
To: Miguel A. Garcia
Cc: Magnus Westerlund; DRAGE, Keith (Keith); mmusic
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] IANA registration of the "image" media type in SDP

Miguel -

Gonzalo

Then, there were comments on the list advocating for the creation of a
simple I-D adding the missing 'image' media type from RFC 4566. If Gonzalo
or someone else can create this draft, we should be able to use to complete
our plan.

/Miguel

 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

mmusic mailing list

[email-masked]

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain

Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Media types in SDP new
From: "Colin Perkins" <[email-masked]>
To: "Belling Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 00:53:43 +0300

On 3 May 2005, at 17:42, Belling Thomas wrote:
> perhaps the issue was not discussed as much as I thought. ...
>  
> In any case, the media type image seems to be missing.
> Read standard track RFC 3362 "Real-time Facsimile (T.38) - image/t38 
> MIME Sub-type Registration"
>  
> "   This document describes the registration of the MIME sub-type
>    image/t38.  The encoding is defined by [T.38] and is intended for 
> use
>    as an SDP media descriptor."
>
> May I therefore request that "image" is added as media type in the 
> next version of draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new?

The revised SDP specification is with the IESG, and it's too late to 
change it.  If you wish to register the image media type for use with 
SDP, you'll need to write it up as a separate draft, which we'll 
progress in the usual manner.

Colin

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

Subject: [MMUSIC] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-iesg-media-type-00.txt
From: "Colin Perkins" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF MMUSIC working group" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Jon Peterson" <[email-masked]>, "Allison Mankin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 23:28:04 +0300

This is directly relevant to both AVT and MMUSIC, and relates to how RTP
payload formats are named in SDP signalling. Since this is primarily a
signalling issue, discussion on the MMUSIC list (or the main [email-masked]
list).

Colin

Begin forwarded message:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

    Title        : A question on Media Type Registrations
    Author(s)    : T. Hardie
    Filename    : draft-iesg-media-type-00.txt
    Pages        : 9
    Date        : 2005-5-31

This document poses a question to the community on the future of the
   IANA Media Type Registry.  It presents three potential future courses
   of development and asks that feedback on these be provided to the
   IESG.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-media-type-00.txt

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:57:02 -0400

On 4/1/11 3:56 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> be used in SDP.
I was thinking the same thing, but there is the question of the 
"control" and "data" media types in the original SDP spec (RFC 2327) as 
noted in RFC 4566 and pointed out by Colin. Note that in the other 
direction, we also have more media types than currently defined in SDP 
(e.g. "multipart"). It would also be a change to RFC 4566, that 
effectively undoes a change from RFC 2327.

Maybe Colin can clarify further, but in looking closer at RFC 4566 
Section 5.14, and more specifically the text for the <fmt> part, there 
is text saying that media type registrations should define the packet 
format when the transport is UDP. In other words, there are additional 
considerations above and beyond the media type registration procedure 
from RFC 4288 as far as I can tell.

> That way you don't have to change the SDP specification
We don't need to change the SDP specification, but we do need to add a 
new registration to the SDP media types registry. Considering that 
top-level media types don't appear too often, that does seem manageable.

Thanks

-- Flemming [as an individual]

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 11:14:26 +0200

Hi,

If we want to be clear on which top level media types that are possible
in SDP, then I agree that we should have a registry that indicates the
ones that the WG has considered and find to work.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: "Noriyuki SATO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:22:31 +0900

Hi Gonzalo and MMUSIC chairs,
On behalf of CIAJ folks - we expect and support this work.

Thanks!
---
OKI Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
Noriyuki Sato ([email-masked])
Tel +81-6-6260-0700
Fax +81-6-6260-0770

> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:44 PM
> To: Miguel A. Garcia
> 	I had a chat with the IANA staff in Prague, and they said that they
> could create the missing registry from RFC 4566. I can take the action
point
> of making sure the registry is created.
> 
> 	Then, there were comments on the list advocating for the creation of
> a simple I-D adding the missing 'image' media type from RFC 4566. If
Gonzalo
> 			content types as valid 'media' types in SDP, but
also
> establishes a new