Subject: [MMUSIC] Continued WG interest in draft-ietf-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp ?

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 15:44:16 -0400

Greetings

The mmusic and tsvwg WGs have two related drafts that expired a while 
ago. Noting a dearth of community engagement, the authors have raised 
the question as to whether interest still exists in these drafts and 
whether the work should continue. The drafts are:

     draft-ietf-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp
     draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-app-id-vv-profiles

The intent of these drafts is to allow for fine-grained classification 
of traffic flows by introducing a "traffic class label" such as 
"conversational.video.immersive" or "broadcast.video.surveillance" that 
can be signaled to various entities in the network.  Within SDP, the 
labels can be used by certain network elements like SBCs to assist in 
prioritization of media flows or DSCP marking at network edges, 
identification of various types of flows active in the network, to give 
instructions to endpoints on how to signal traffic classification to 
network elements (e.g., via RSVP), or to instruct endpoints as to which 
DSCP value to apply to traffic flows (assuming a local mapping is 
defined), etc.  The companion work in tsvwg is targeted at use of the 
traffic class label concept within RSVP, allowing a network router or 
switch to better determine how to handle RSVP requests, to map a given 
traffic class label to a specific DSCP value (facilitates proper 
remarking of flows), etc.

If there is continued interest in pursuing this work, please post to the 
list or let the WG chairs know. Absent interest, 
draft-ietf-mmusic-traffic-class-for-sdp will likely be removed from the 
mmusic WG's list of planned work sometime after the Prague meeting.

Thanks

-- Ari & Flemming (MMUSIC co-chairs)