Subject: [MMUSIC] ICE offer/answer/candidate exchange terminology

From: Ari Keränen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 17:59:14 +0300

Hi all,

For quite some time now we have had discussions on how could we best get 
rid of the remaining RFC3264 offer/answer language in ICEbis.

Together with Suhas and Pål-Erik we discussed this off-line and came to 
conclusion that we have two reasonable options for the "offer/answer 
part" of the terminology: "ICE offer & ICE answer" and "ICE candidate 
exchange".

We three can live with either option, but have different preferences 
among them. That's why we'd like to hear from the rest of the group what 
is your preference.

Here's what we think are the main arguments for selecting each.

ICE candidate exchange:
- clear difference from RFC3264 offer/answer; ICE has been heavily 
linked to SDP o/a so far so using any o/a terminology may cause confusion
- many new ICE scenarios are not using offer/answer kind of signaling
- this is more clear on the fact that there can be activity after the 
exchange part of the protocol, like with Trickle ICE

ICE offer/answer:
- smaller change editorially ("just add ICE")
- only SIP/SDP folks would really confuse "ICE offer/answer" with 
RFC3264 offer/answer
- existing ICE implementations use already this terminology
- familiarity is less confusing
- there are some specifics for the "initiating message", for example 
choosing the controlled party; we need to have some terminology to 
address that, and "offer" fits to that purpose
- however, need to specify clearly that there are things happening after 
the offer/answer part

Is some key argument missing?
Is some argument invalid?

Can you live with either option?
What is your preferred option?

Cheers,
Ari (as individual ICEbis editor)

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:55:14 -0600

> part" of the terminology: "ICE offer & ICE answer" and "ICE candidate

Given the existence of trickle ICE, I much prefer "candidate exchange".

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/