Subject: [MOBILE-IP] ICMP Router Advertisement

From: Daniel Lundquist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:06:59 +0200

If a HA/FA sends a ICMP Router Advertisement with lifetime 0, does
this force the MH to reregister with some other HA/FA?

Is there some other way to force the MH's to stop using the active
HA/FA?

/ daniel

---

From: "Kent K. Leung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:38:53 -0700

> this force the MH to reregister with some other HA/FA?

This is the method for routers to notify hosts that it is no
longer providing service.  So this SHOULD force MH to reregister.
Though RFC 2002 is not explicit about this mechanism.

-- Kent --

---

From: Yoshiyuki Tsuda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:35:21 +0900

Hello, Kent,

At: 08:38:53 -0700 Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Kent K. Leung wrote:
K> >
K> > If a HA/FA sends a ICMP Router Advertisement with lifetime 0, does
K> > this force the MH to reregister with some other HA/FA?
K> >
K>
K> This is the method for routers to notify hosts that it is no
K> longer providing service.  So this SHOULD force MH to reregister.
K> Though RFC 2002 is not explicit about this mechanism.
K>
K> -- Kent --

 This might be desired mechanism.  You know, the MIP has "sequence
 numbers and rollover handling" mechanism, so, I prefer both the
 above and sequence number mechanisms, or both the above and Busy-
 bit mechanisms.

 By the way, at the re-registration, an MH may send a solicitation
 packet ?
 In case of large number of MHs, this causes burst of solicitation
 packets.  So, an explicit specification might be desired, I think.

"Yoshi"yuki Tsuda( [email-masked] )
Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corporation