Subject: [MOBILE-IP] What is cool?

From: alex liang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 05:39:21 PDT

Sir:
   I am a phD student in Jiaotong University,Shanghai,China. Now I am
interested in mobile IP. But there are many things in mobile IP, I want to
know which are the most attracting research points in mobile IP? You
indication will be much appreciated.

regards
                       Alex
                       99/9/26

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Wolfgang Schönfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:00:29 +0200

> indication will be much appreciated.

I'll answer this question by expressing my personal view, sitting a litte bit
outside the mainstream of this mailing list.

First, MobileIP as a protocol is quite fixed now, and its principles are well
understood. However, there is not yet any experience with really large scale
implementation or usage. Hence, the one interesting point is how MobileIP
scales.

Second, the first large-scale usage will probably occur within UMTS ( =
successor of GSM ). Special requirements of cellular networks will lead to a lot

of extensions, in particular in order to handle micro-mobility. How this
increasing complexity (basic principles of MobileIP are quite simple and
straightforward) can be dealt with appears to me as the "coolest" topic (though
I
know that security etc. are so important). Again, scalability is the question.

Hint: Check through the mailing list for "cellular".
--
Wolfgang Schoenfeld
GMD-IPSI, Dolivostr. 15, Room 118, D-64293 Darmstadt
+49-6151-869-865 (Phone), -818 (FAX)
+49-170-2285450 (Mobile Phone)