Subject: [MOBILE-IP] Research Position Available (Performance Prediction)

From: Thomas Fahringer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:26:03 +0200

The Institute for Software Technology and Parallel Systems at the
University of Vienna is offering within a research project a

        ************************************************************
        ***     Research Position in Performance Prediction of   ***
        ***         Parallel and Distributed Applications        ***
        ************************************************************

Applicants should have knowledge in one or more of the following areas:

        + parallel and distributed systems
        + programming skills
            + parallel programming (HPF, MPI, threads, ...)
            + distributed programming (Java)
        + performance modeling (analytical + simulation)
        + simulation tools (discrete event simulation)

Starting Date: immediately

Duration: Until March 2000.
        We are currently in the process to apply for project extension
        until March 2003 which would also mean that this position is
        funded until that time.

Project Summary:

        The position is offered as part of a long-term research project
        about performance-oriented application development for parallel
        and distributed systems.

        The main task of this position requires to develop a performance
        prediction tool for object-oriented multi-threaded parallel and
        distributed applications exploiting both data and task parallelism.
        These applications are executed on clusters of SMPs or network of
        workstations. Analytical performance prediction will be used to
        determine parameterized cost functions for small components of the
        parallel/distributed application. Parameters in cost functions
        reflect the problem sizes of an application and the machine sizes
        of a target architecture. Simulation will be used to model
        highly dynamic behavior of applications and architectures, in
        particular, data exchange, synchronization, thread context-switches,
        etc. The performance prediction tool determines cost functions which
        describe various performance parameters, including estimated
        execution and communication times, synchronization overhead, memory
        locality, load balance, etc.

For more information, please contact

        Thomas Fahringer ([email-masked])

======================================================================
Thomas Fahringer, Ph.D.              Tel: (office): +43 1 310 56 08 - 86
Associate Professor                  Tel: (sec):    +43 1 310 56 08 - 71
University of Vienna                 Fax: +43 1 310 56 08 - 88
Institute for Software Technology    E-mail: [email-masked]
and Parallel Systems                 WWW: http://www.par.univie.ac.at
Liechtensteinstr. 22
A-1090 Vienna, Austria