Subject: Re: [MOBILE-IP] 3g wireless

From: "Lipford, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 09:48:37 -0600

Your assumptions are generally correct.

The RNN is the Radio Network Node and consist of the base stations, base
station controllers, and mobile switching centers.  The RNN is responsible
for terminating the physical layer.  The link later is terminated in the
PDSN.

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Andrew McCarthy
[mailto:[email-masked]]
                Sent:   Friday, December 03, 1999 8:01 AM
                To:     [email-masked]
                Subject:        [MOBILE-IP] 3g wireless

                Hi all

                Since this is my first email on the reflector please be
gentle with me.

                As you may have guessed I am based in Europe and therefore
my investigations
                revolve around 3GPP and not CDMA2000 (3GPP2), therefore my
knowledge on
                CDMA2000 networks is extremely limited.

                I have a simple question to ask as I would like to compare
CDMA2000 networks
                to UMTS (3GPP networks).

                In the UMTS system we have the following basic architecture
(apologies for
                those who know this).

                Mobile-------------Node
B-----------RNC------------------SGSN/GGSN

                The Node B is a basestation and terminates the physical
layer.
                The RNC is like a BSC in GSM and controls the handover
between Node B's and
                other RNC's.
                The SGSN and GGSN are based on GPRS and handle the packet
functionality -
                and these nodes form the UMTS cellular core network. They
are also involved
                in handover between - for example - SGSN and SGSN.

                Together the Node B and RNC form a Radio Network System
(RNS). Hence, the
                RNS terminates the
                Logical link. The interface between the RNS and the
SGSN/GGSN is called an
                Iu interface.

                Could anybody confirm whether my understanding of the
CDMA2000 Architecture
                is correct when I compare to the above.....

                I assume that an RNN is like an RNS as above.
                I also think a PDSN is like a SGSN and a GGSN as above.

                Thanks

                Andy