Subject: [MOBILE-IP] 3g wireless

From: Andrew McCarthy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:00:50 -0000

Hi all

Since this is my first email on the reflector please be gentle with me.

As you may have guessed I am based in Europe and therefore my investigations
revolve around 3GPP and not CDMA2000 (3GPP2), therefore my knowledge on
CDMA2000 networks is extremely limited.

I have a simple question to ask as I would like to compare CDMA2000 networks
to UMTS (3GPP networks).

In the UMTS system we have the following basic architecture (apologies for
those who know this).

Mobile-------------Node B-----------RNC------------------SGSN/GGSN

The Node B is a basestation and terminates the physical layer.
The RNC is like a BSC in GSM and controls the handover between Node B's and
other RNC's.
The SGSN and GGSN are based on GPRS and handle the packet functionality -
and these nodes form the UMTS cellular core network. They are also involved
in handover between - for example - SGSN and SGSN.

Together the Node B and RNC form a Radio Network System (RNS). Hence, the
RNS terminates the
Logical link. The interface between the RNS and the SGSN/GGSN is called an
Iu interface.

Could anybody confirm whether my understanding of the CDMA2000 Architecture
is correct when I compare to the above.....

I assume that an RNN is like an RNS as above.
I also think a PDSN is like a SGSN and a GGSN as above.

Thanks

Andy

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 07:34:45 -0800

> Since this is my first email on the reflector please be gentle with me.

hmmm.. that's a tall order :)

> I also think a PDSN is like a SGSN and a GGSN as above.

The SGSN is similar to the PDSN, which includes FA functionality. The CDMA2000
doesn't really have a specialized box that is equivalent to a GGSN, it only
requires a Mobile IP Home Agent. This has an advantage that these boxes are
commodity items, available from many sources.

PatC