Subject: [mobile-ip] Question on HMIPv6 Dynamic MAP Discovery

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Sep 2001 15:15:39 +0200

Hi,

This has probably been raised in the past, sorry for duplicating
questions.  If so, thank you for pointing me to a thread discussing
it.

Page 11, middle of the one paragraph before last reads:

     "Upon reception of a router advertisement with the MAP option and
      given that a router is configured to re-send this option on
      certain interfaces, the router MUST copy the option and re-send
      it after incrementing the Distance field by one."

I understand that a router between AR and MAP is supposed to "re-send"
(forward) RA's from one interface to another?  Or is it supposed to
forward only the MAP Option?  Is there an implementation allowing to
configure a router to behave that way?

Thank you,

Alex

---

From: Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:17:08 +0200

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
> forward only the MAP Option? 

Only the MAP option, as far as I understand.

> Is there an implementation allowing to

KAME's rtadvd transmits RAs, but also monitors what other routers are
sending.

/Mattias

PS. My mailer was quite confused by your claude.castellucia@@inria.fr
(double @!!!).

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Sep 2001 13:07:14 +0200

> KAME's rtadvd transmits RAs, but also monitors what other routers are

Indeed, I guess routers should monitor what other routers are sending
on the same link in order to ensure they advertise same things.  But I
don't know if routers should re-transmit on other links what they
receive via RA's on one link.  I don't know, I'm wondering.

> PS. My mailer was quite confused by your claude.castellucia@@inria.fr

Sorry for typo! it was against spammers :-) Our sendmail didn't even
complain, dumb sendmail.

Alex

---

From: Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 13:37:55 +0200

> receive via RA's on one link.  I don't know, I'm wondering.

Fundamental question, indeed. I see it as a larger-than-link-scoped RA.
This would be the same as with router renumbering, wouldn't it?

/Mattias