Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile-Home Auth. Ext. requirement in RFC2002bis

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:01:19 +0300

Section 3.5.2, "Mobile-Home Authentication Extension", in
draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2002-bis-08.txt states that "exactly one
authorization-enabling extension MUST be present in all Registration
Requests".

However, in various AAA scenarios as discussed in other RFCs and IDs,
this requirement cannot be fulfilled since the MN might only have
an SA with AAA infrastructure, and not (yet) with the Home Agent.
I suggest that the above section should be clarified, and require
that the MH auth ext only has to be present if no other home
network authentication extension is present (such as the MN-AAA
authentication extension).

Regards,
Bjorn Andersson

-- 
Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>                       +358 50 341 2556
Lifix Systems Oy <http://www.lifix.fi/>                 PGP id 5AFC144B
Yliopistonkatu 5, 3rd floor; FIN-00100 Helsinki

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:17:03 -0700

Hello Bjorn,

The intention in the draft is to do exactly what you want.
The MN-AAA Authentication Extension is presumably (by policy)
an acceptable candidate for an "authorization-enabling extension".

Regards,
Charlie P.