Subject: [mobile-ip] About Home Agent Flag in Router Advertisement Message

From: Noriaki Takamiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:09:49 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

# Sorry for resending.

  This is Takamiya. 

  I'm using MIPL implementation on USAGI IPv6 platform.

  In MIPL mailing list, I encountered the following problem:

  When a Home Agent sends Router Advertisement Message and changes
  Home Agent Flag(H) from on to off, should other Home Agent remove
  this router from the Home Agent List?

  I thought that the Home Agent changed Router Advertisement Message
  change Home Agent Flag from on to off, the other Home Agent should
  remove this router entry. But It seems that this behavior is not
  documented(draft 14) explicitly.

  I'm newbie about this mailing list, so I will apologize some
  mistakes.

  Regards,

--
Noriaki Takamiya

---

From: Mattias Pettersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 10:26:26 +0200

>   this router from the Home Agent List?

At least the entry for this home agent should not be updated. Each home
agent has a lifetime, taken from the Home Agent Information Option, or
if that is missing, taken from the router lifetime field in the RA.

But it sounds reasonable to remove the entry, since the H flag
explicitly is cleared.

>   documented(draft 14) explicitly.

/Mattias

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:25:41 -0700

Hello Takamiya,

>   this router from the Home Agent List?

That seems like a very reasonable requirement.  Unfortunately,
it means checking for removal upon reception of every Router
Advertisement.  However, I do not think that is much more
work than already has to be done.

>   documented(draft 14) explicitly.

I will make it explicit.

>   I'm newbie about this mailing list, so I will apologize some

No apologies needed, and thanks for your observation!

> Noriaki Takamiya

Regards,
Charlie P.