Subject: [mobile-ip] Optimizing Movement Detection on the AR

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Charlie,

In the discussion of handover optimization for IPv6, the following point
came up. 

In standard MIPv6 handover, draft-ietf-mobile-ipv6-14.txt has a 
section on movement detection that encourages the MN to perform
optimization if it can (Section 10, first few paragraphs), i.e. to
solicit a Router Advert if it has evidence that it is on a new link. However,
Section 6.5 only allows the AR to increase the frequency of multicast
Router Adverts, not to use any link information to explicitly
signal the MN. 

Would it be possible to add some text to Section 6.5 that allows
the AR to unicast a Router Advert to the MN if the AR detects that the MN
has arrived on its link? Alternatively, if unicast isn't acceptable,
the AR could be encouraged to multicast when it detected a new MN
on the link, rather than wait for the next period.

This is needed to allow a graceful transition from a coverage area
where FMIPv6 is supported to one where it isn't, in the case where
the network but not the mobile node gets some kind of notification
that the new link is up.

		jak

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:50:02 -0400

> has arrived on its link?

Does the current text disallow this? I.e, are you asking for text that
encourages implementations to  do this, or just making sure that it
isn't disallowed?

Also, rather than asking someone else to provide text, how about
providing it yourself. :-) That tends to lead to the desired result
more quickly, and allows folks to better understand just what it is
you want to add to the spec.

Thomas