Subject: [mobile-ip] security and MIPv6

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 13:57:52 -0400

Hi folks,

   it's still premature at this point to be discussing what MUST and MAY be
supported in the
way of securing binding updates for route optimization.  Here are the
upcoming steps re: getting
the security story together for mobile-ip:

- The security requirements and threat analysis has been revised and
is about to be published as a working group document, and we will
immediately
issue a last call for comments.
- Gabriel has agreed to begin a document assessing proposed approaches
against the above requirements and threat analysis with a view to assessing
which approaches meet the requirements and where there are gaps.
- Jari Arkko has agreed to produce a summary document outlining the issues
involved in determining how best to protect binding updates, ranging from
a mobile IP specific implementation to various approaches using IPSEC
including issues with current implementations.

Until these documents have been discussed by the working group everyone
should understand
the security aspects of Mobile IP v6 are very much subject to change.

Phil