Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Changes to RFC2002bis (Vers 8)

From: "Ahmad Muhanna"<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:38:59 -0600

Hello Basavaraj;

Could you please brief us with the rationale behind the changes of the 1st
paragraph in section 2.3?
As far as I know, the Mobile Node as per RFC2002-bis and RFC1256 can send
Agent Solicitation message to either
255.255.255.255 or 224.0.0.2.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards;

Ahmad Muhanna
Nortel Networks
Shasta PDSN-MIP Development
Phone. + 1 972 685 1416 ESN. 445-1416
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Patil Basavaraj (NET/Dallas) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 11:24 AM
To: 'Mobile IP'
Subject: [mobile-ip] Changes to RFC2002bis (Vers 8)

The following changes have been made to
draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2002-bis-08.txt as it goes through the RFC
editors process. A detailed list of all the other minor (editorial)
changes was sent by Charlie on Dec 21st, 01 to the Mobile IP WG list. 

If you have any concerns about the following text, please let the
editor (Charles Perkins) know about it, in addition to bringing it to
the attention of the WG via the list. The deadline for commenting on
this text is Wednesday, Jan 16th, 2002.

1. Section 2.3 1st Paragraph
   
   The following text has been added to the end of Paragraph 1:

   "All mobility agents MUST process packets that they
   receive addressed to the Mobile-Agents multicast group, at address
   224.0.0.11.  A mobile node MAY send an Agent Solicitation to
   224.0.0.11.  All mobility agents SHOULD respond to Agent
   Solicitations."

2. Section 3.8.3.1. IP/UDP Fields

   Currently reads:
   "This section provides the specific rules by which mobile nodes
   pick"
   Should be:
   "This section provides the specific rules by which home agents
   pick"

3. Section 3.7.2.3

      IP Destination Address

                 If the Registration Reply is generated by the Foreign
                 Agent in order to reject the mobile node's Registration
                 Request, and the Registration Request contains a Home
                 Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP Destination
                 Address is copied from the Home Address field of the
                 Registration Request.  Otherwise, if the Registration
                 Reply is received from the Home Agent, and contains a
                 Home Address which is not 0.0.0.0, then the IP
Destination
                 Address is copied from the Home Address field of the
                 Registration Reply.  Otherwise, the IP Destination
                 Address of the Registration Reply is set to be
                 255.255.255.255.

Regards,
-Basavaraj

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:35:05 -0800

Hello Ahmad,

Hello Ahmad,

> Ahmad Muhanna wrote:

This is true.  The rationale for putting the additional tex into RFC 2002bis
was that I was asked to do so during Last Call for RFC 2002bis.  Since it
does not do any harm to the specification to have it, and since people
thought it made the specification clearer, I was happy to put it in.

Regards,
Charlie P.