Subject: [mobile-ip] Introduction and MIP security question

From: "Schubert, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 13:16:54 -0600

Hello,
I just joined this list and wanted to introduce myself briefly and ask a
question at the same time.

I am a System Support Engineer for Sprint, providing 2nd tier technical
support for the Packet Control Function (PCF), as well as other packet data
devices for markets that use a Lucent 5ESS MSC (in other words, I do not
have to worry about Nortel switches).  I am working with the installers and
program managers that are installing the PCFs between the Base Controllers
(BSC)s and  the Packet Data Serving Nodes (PDSN) as Sprint prepares for 3G.
We are using a "Simple IP" version of MIP, so the PDSN is both the FA and HA
(with traffic leaving the PDSN and arriving directly on the IP network).

My question is:  Is this an appropriate forum to learn and discuss security
issues regarding safeguards between the Customer Data Network (e.g. the IP
packets containing customer voice, and application data) and the Operational
Data Network (e.g. the IP packets destined for the AAA, PCF and other
backoffice equipment) in the MIP environment?

I did poke around the archives.  Any additional sources of information would
be greatly appreciated.  I'm not responsibile for network security, per se,
but I would like to understand it so I can help out as best I can.

Thanks for your time,
> John Schubert
> NTAC Engineer: National Technical Assistance Center - West
> * Office:  (949) 225-2887
> * PCS:     (949) 400-9701
> * Fax:      (949) 225-2904
> * E-Mail:  [email-masked]
>