Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] list of things for MIPv6

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:17:54 +0100

Francis,

  >    Furthermore, I will claim that I am usually pretty aware of the
  >    distinction between mobility and wireless, but hey 
  > nobody's perfect.
  >    
  > => you should recognize piggy-backing is less useful on an Ethernet
  > or a 802.11b/802.11a. I consider piggy-backing as an 
  > over-optimization
  > (as RSVP in fact) in most cases, i.e. this really makes sense with
  > some link-layers which are very hard (i.e. too expensive) to improve
  > (this is the case of mobile phone in Europe, nobody wants to buy
  > a second license in some countries just to get more bandwidth :-).
  > 

=> It actually does NOT make any sense for the expensive, hard ..etc
link layers. I've already explained why before and expressed
it again when discussing this with Cedric. I'm assuming
of course that you're referring to cellular links. 
So the question is, where does this optimisation make 
sense ?

Hesham

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 09:52:54 +0100

link layers.

=> my text is not clear enough, the "i.e. this really makes sense..."
is more about RSVP than piggy-backing (you know I don't like
piggy-backing at all).

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: > So the question is, where does this optimisation make sense ?

=> obviously not end-to-end (piggy-backing is end-to-end, so
any link-layer argument in favor of it is weak).