Subject: [mobile-ip] padding problems in v16

From: Martti Kuparinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:02:30 +0200

Hi!

I think I found two errors in the MIPv6 draft:

5.1.3 Home Test Init
- no padding is really needed

5.1.8 Binding Acknowledge
- padding is really needed

Or am I missing something here?

Martti

--- draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-16.txt.orig	Mon Apr 15 14:52:07 2002
+++ draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-16.txt	Mon Apr 15 14:55:58 2002
@@ -2339,9 +2339,8 @@

            -  Unique Identifier Parameter

-   If no actual parameters are present in this message, 4 bytes of Pad1
-   or PadN parameters are needed to make the length of the message a
-   multiple of 8.
+   If no actual parameters are present in this message, no padding is
+   necessary.

     The HoTI message SHOULD be protected by an IPsec policy that employs
     ESP between the home agent and the mobile node.
@@ -3111,8 +3110,9 @@
           specification does not define any parameters valid for the
           Binding Acknowledgement message.

-   If no actual parameters are present in this message, no padding is
-   needed.
+   If no actual parameters are present in this message, 4 bytes of Pad1
+   or PadN parameters are needed to make the length of the message a
+   multiple of 8.

     The Binding Acknowledgement is sent to the source address of the
     Binding Update message, regardless of whether the Binding Update

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:05:57 +0300

> Or am I missing something here?

No, you're quite right. I think someone brought a similar
issue earlier but the next version will fix these.

Jari