Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] LIN6 vs mobile-ipv6?

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:43:38 +0200

> I think that LIN6 is mainly for people who want some of the
  > features of Mobile IPv6, but who got tired of waiting for us
  > to be finished with it.  

=> It is more like 'people who want to solve the problem
differently'. ´LIN6 was presented in San Diego, and was done 
way before that. So I don't think it was a result of the 
delays of MIPv6.

It basically moves the binding update
  > to be a nameserver operation instead of a Mobile IP operation,
  > and I think it doesn't offer any advantages other than just
  > moving the necessary components to other parts of the
  > protocol stack.  I believe applications have to be rewritten
  > to handle a new nameserver record type, and smooth handover
  > is not really possible.  Binding updates are not delivered to
  > correspondent nodes.

=> Fully agree.

Hesham

---

From: "Glenn Morrow"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:12:59 -0600

Alex,

I meant GSE. Global, Site and End-System Designator (GSE). Sorry  I always
seem to do this typo. You've already got the answer to LAR.

MBG is mobile border gateway. It uses the home agent as the database. 

> 
> What's 8+8/GES, what's LAR, what's MBG?