Subject: [mobile-ip] Seamless mobile connection to a internet from a MANET (IPv6)

From: Pär Thorén <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:41:27 +0200 (MEST)

When connecting a MANET to a IPv6 internet, as defined in
draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-00.txt (Global Connectivity for IPv6 Mobile
Ad Hoc Networks), with a MobileIPv6 router (a node in the MANET), as in
draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-00.txt (Mobile Networks Support in Mobile
IPv6) through a access gateway/network, can one asume that connections to
corresponding nodes outside the MANET can be provided seamless for all
nodes in the MANET when changing the access gateway as in
draft-ietf-seamoby-mm-problem-01.txt (SeaMoby Micro Mobility Problem
Statement).

And what is the advantage of using a MobileIPv6 Router instead of just
using existing routingprotocols to update routing tables throught out the
internet of the location of the MANET?

regards,
Pär

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:05:49 -0800

> draft-ietf-seamoby-mm-problem-01.txt (SeaMoby Micro Mobility Problem

I think it is possible for the connections to be seamless, but
that isn't trivially the case.  You may have all the problems
which are already in evidence within [seamoby].  But to answer
your main question, yes the idea is that movement within the MANET
is not visible to the correspondent node.  Unless, of course, the
care-of address changes and the mobile node delivers a Binding
Update to the correspondent node.

> internet of the location of the MANET?

If I understand this question, the Internet Gateway is already presumed
to use other routing protocols to update local routing tables.
The part that is special is how the Gateway advertises the prefix to
the nodes in the ad hoc network, not the part on the Internet side.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 12:33:34 +0900 (JST)

From: Pär Thorén <[email-masked]>
> IPv6) through a access gateway/network, can one asume that connections to

Pär,

Let me point out that my draft draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-00.txt
has NOTHING to do with Ad-Hoc networking. It is dealing with networks
in motion, i.e. an entire network that changes its point of attachment
to the Internet, whereas what you are talking about is an ad-hoc
network connected to the Internet. The former does not imply the
latter, and the latter does not imply the former either.

BTW, draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-00.txt has expired for 3 months
now but is unfortunately still on the IETF web site. It has been
replaced recently by the following 2 drafts:
draft-ernst-monet-terminology-00.txt
draft-ernst-monet-requirements-00.txt

And, at the first place you where probably speaking about
draft-ernst-mobileip-v6-network-03.txt, which has definitely nothing
to do with ad-hoc network since it is only dealing about fixed nodes
connected to a mobile router, which changes its AR to the Internet.

For more information, see: http://www.nal.motlabs.com/monet/

There is a long history about the confusion between MONET and MANET
and the archives of this mailing list.

Thierry.