Subject: [mobile-ip] Routing Header - New MIPv6 draft

From: Jens Kuehlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:24:59 +0200 (MEST)

Hallo,

I have read the new MIPv6-Draft.

Section 5.4 defined the new Routing Header Type 2. 

    5.4. Routing Header type 2

       Mobile IPv6 uses a routing header to carry the Home Address for
       packets sent from a correspondent node to a mobile node, which the
       Care of Address of the MN is carried in the IPv6 destination field.

       This uses a different routing header type than what is defined
       for ``regular'' IPv6 source routing to make it possible for e.g.,
       firewalls to have different rules for source routing versus MIPv6.
       This routing header type (type 2) is restricted to only carry one
       IPv6 address and all IPv6 nodes which process it MUST verify that the
       address contained in the routing header is the home address of the
       node in order to prevent packets with this routing header type to be
       forwarded after decrementing the segments left field.

Section 8.9 describe "Sending Packets to a Mobile Node" from the CN

In this Section Routing Header (Type 0) are used for the Packets. 

My Question:
When MIP should use the Routing Header (Type 0) and when should use Type 2?

Thanks in advance

Bye
Jens

-- 
GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
http://www.gmx.net

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:22:14 +0300

> In this Section Routing Header (Type 0) are used for the Packets.

This is incorrect. Should be Type 2 even in section 8.9.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Jari

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:55:28 +0200 (CEST)

> In this Section Routing Header (Type 0) are used for the Packets. 

That is an editorial bug in the current version of the draft.

> When MIP should use the Routing Header (Type 0) and when should use Type 2?

It should always use type 2.

  Erik