Subject: Re: [mobile-ip] any deployment?

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:54:39 +0859 ()

vinod;

> Hi

Hi.

> How long does your battery last ?

Our trial is using PCs (we admit PCs are not appropriate for mobile
use) that it depends on PCs. Power consumption by WLAN transceivers
is negligible.

> or how much more power is required 
> compared to using only one transreceiver ?

With our current implementation, twice, as there is no attempt to
suppress power consumption.

Power save functionality of 802.11 is not supported by most, if
not all, WLAN NIC, yet.

But, industry is now aware that power is a probelm of PDA that
there is a CF-slot WLAN card which consumes several times
less power than existing ones.

The secondary transceiver must be supplied power only during
frequency scanning (for receiving only) and handover period (mostly
for receiving only, except for sending (and resending) link/mobile
registration packts), that, ultimately, the power consumption
is expected to be about the same as with a single transceiver.

If you need more concret evidences, that battery of PHS devices
lasts a lot might help.

						Masataka Ohta