Subject: [mobile-ip] new state machines

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 00:55:35 +0300

Hi,

I'm working on the text related to issue #32
(http://www.piuha.net./~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue32.txt)

This issue is about the simplification of the state machine. I have now made
the following modifications to draft 17 state machine:

- Took in account that when running the RR procedure, we may or may not
   have an existing binding.

- Separated the details of the actual return routability procedure from
   the management of bindings. This resulted in the main state machine
   and the "sub-state machine" for the return routability
   messaging.

- For brevity, assumed that acknowledgements are always required.

- Condensed the descriptions by removing those lines from the tables
   that did not have any action and which did not change the current state.

The new state machine descriptins can be found from the below URLs.
Comments are appreciated, as are suggestions for further simplification
(the first item above offset some of the simplification that three other
items brought).

http://www.piuha.net./~jarkko/publications/mipv6/new-statemachine.txt
http://www.piuha.net./~jarkko/publications/mipv6/new-statemachine-rr.txt

Jari

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:47:41 +0300

I made some further simplifications by combining 'movement'
and 'route optimization desired/not desired'... these can
be modelled by the same events relating to movement and
returning home.

Updated state machines at:

Jari