Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] any deployment?

From: "Bui, Hung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:10:41 -0400

Dear Pekka,
 
Thank you for your interest.  Here are a bit more details on the NEXTEL's
mobile IP implementation:
1. Nextel's network uses Motorola's iDEN technology which includes support
for a native packet service, not PPP over cellular.

2. Mobile IP is used to provide macro mobility. iDEN technology handles the
cell to cell handover, Mobile IP is used for "Location Area" handovers as
well as

inter-market roaming.

3. A standard Mobile IP home agent is used.

4. All "+" phones have Mobile IP client stack functionality built in.

5. All addressing is static.

6. The implementation is nearly standards compliant with RFC 2002, but some
modifications were made to the advertisement algorithms minimize the over
the air traffic.

7. The service has been commercially available for over two years.

Please check  <http://www.nextel.com> www.nextel.com for more information on
services and products.
 
BTW, I do not have the specific '+' phones deployed but should be over few
millions.
 
Regards,
- Hung Bui

-----Original Message-----
From: Pekka Savola [  <mailto:[email-masked]> mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 11:45 AM
To: Bui, Hung
Cc: 'Masataka Ohta'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] any deployment?

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Bui, Hung wrote:
> Dear Masakata San,
>
> Yes: our wireless IP is RFC2002 compliant.

Could you please elaborate a bit?

btw, your initial statement:

"NEXTEL has been deploying Mobile IP for over two years with over 9
millions subscribers."

Could probably have already been read that NEXTEL has 9 million customers
and has been using Mobile IP for over two years, but I didn't see the
definite connection that all of those 9 million subscribers would be using
mobile IP.

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 01:30:04 +0859 ()

Dear Hung Bui;

> well as inter-market roaming.

Very interesting.

Are you giving direct internet connectivity to your users with
global IP addresses?

Do you use mobile IP even for voice services?

> Please check  <http://www.nextel.com> www.nextel.com for more information on

I checked it only to find that it never says "mobile IP".

Does your marketing people think "mobile IP" something immoral? :-)

							Masataka Ohta