Subject: RE: [mobile-ip] Draft Agenda for MIP WG @ IETF54

From: "Hongyi Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:23:17 -0400

Hi Ohta-san,

> > Then, could you please highlight what exactly do you
> > want to standardize and what change is required to existing 
> MIP protocols or
> > MIP can support it by nature.
> 
> My draft is a reality check on what protocols are used by the 
> real world
> with the end to end principle.

I guess MIP can support smooth handoff with two active transceivers.
But I am not 100% sure about it, that's why I asked you about the
required changes to MIP.

As for the E2E principle, following papers from LCS/MIT
might help.

http://www.ana.lcs.mit.edu/anaweb/PDF/saltzer_reed_clark_e2e.pdf - 1984

http://ana-www.lcs.mit.edu/anaweb/PDF/Rethinking_2001.pdf - 2001

Regards

Hongyi

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:41:59 +0859 ()

Hongyi;

> But I am not 100% sure about it, that's why I asked you about the

There is no problem, except for the possible authentication gotcha
documented in my draft.

> http://ana-www.lcs.mit.edu/anaweb/PDF/Rethinking_2001.pdf - 2001

An interesting observation is that all the attempts, OSI, ATM (ROLC),
MPLS, PKI ...  to destroy the end to end principle have been failing,
both technically and commercially, dispite all the effort of IETF
and industry.

Another interseting observation is that the end to end solution for
the smooth mobility is deployed not only by us, an ISP, but also
by carriers of PHS.

						Masataka Ohta