Subject: [mobile-ip] Binding Error Message and HAO

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 20:50:30 +0300

I'm trying figure out if we have already closed this issue.
(http://www.piuha.net./~jarkko/publications/mipv6/issues/issue33.txt)

The original question was what to fill in when there is no HAO.
In another discussion on the list we have noted that the HAO
can be included in BUs to the CN. We then discussed whether we
could simply drop packets that don't have a HAO, and not even
respond with a BE. Arvind noted that if the MH type is unrecognized,
it is hard to know if a HAO should have been present or not. He
proposed that the home address be placed in an option that could
be carried by the BE when necessary.

Note that the HoT message goes via the home agent and
does not have a home address option. The source of the
packet is the home address. So, what happens if the CN does
not support this message, or some similar future message? If
we are strict about the no-BE-if-no-HAO rule then we can't
send an error.

My suggestions is therefore that a new mobility option should
be created, the "Home Address mobility option" (can this be
mistaken for the HAO -- any ideas for a better name?). This
new mobility option would be included when the BE is sent
with Status 1.

Another alternative is to allow the home address field to be
zero in the BE message, if HAO was not present in the offending
message.

Jari