Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IP NAI Question

From: Narayanan Vidya-CVN065 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:58:30 -0500

Hi,
RFC 3220 says that the home agent address in the mobile ip registration
message must be non-NULL. If the mobile node knows its home address and does
not know its home agent address, it can discover its home agent using
subnet-directed broadcast. However, if the mobile node is using NAI to get a
home address, and it doesn't know the home agent address, there is no way to
do this. 

In such a situation, how does MIPv4 registration work? I am assuming FA CoA
here. What does the FA do with a registration request that has the MIP NAI
extension, and has a NULL home address and home agent address? Is this
valid?

Thanks,
Vidya

---

From: "Kuntal Chowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:42:48 -0500

If the MN does not know it's home agent address then it SHOULD use
255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0 in the HA field in the RRQ. The same applies to
its home address.

Hope this helps.
Kuntal

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Narayanan Vidya-CVN065 [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 5:59 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [mobile-ip] Mobile IP NAI Question
> 
> 
> Hi,