Subject: [mobile-ip] Alternative BU Security Protocol

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:54:10 -0700

Folks,

This weekend, we submited a draft defining an alternative BU security
protocol. The protocol uses identity-based cryptography. If you want an
early look, the draft can be found at:

http://www.nttmcl.com/sec/MobileIP/draft-okazaki-mobileip-abk-00.txt

This protocol is intended to be a used as an alternative, and not a
replacement, for RR. We believe the performance characteristics are
somewhat better than RR and the scalability characteristics are somewhat
better than using standard public key cryptography. This draft is an
initial version, we have some updates planned but could not get them in
prior to the deadline.

The protocol has IPR on it, but the IPR is license free for those who
play by the rules (essentially the same license as the IBM Photuris
protocol which was incorporated into IKE). Thus, it can be implemented
Open Source. To that end, if anybody wants to implement it on Linux, you
may want to check out Ben Lynn's web site, http://crypto.stanford.edu,
which contains an Open Source portable library for id-crypto.

            jak